22%
I love it
No votes

Total votes: 9

motiontodismiss

MTD's February LSAT Study Journal

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 am

A little background so far:

Been studying for a month or so now. I finished all three of the Powerscore books, outlined all the strategies, and now I'm onto the Practice Test phase. I started with a measly 155, and am VERY slowly working my way up to 172+ (which now seems to be a longer road than I thought). I've been doing PrepTests, redoing the questions I got wrong, and working on the LR flash cards on the subway to and from work every day. I'm taking a course online starting October and hopefully by December 11th I'll be a little (a lot) more confident about my abilities :lol:

And figured short of a $100 an hour therapist, this is the best way to stay sane until this whole ordeal is over, because december might become february, and february might become june, and that's a lot of benjamins to spend on therapy :mrgreen:

Strategy:
Phase 1: complete
-Powerscore LR/LG/RC Bibles

Phase 2: complete, sort of
-PrepTests 7-30 (or 40, subject to change as needed), Untimed:
--do the PrepTests, redo the questions I get wrong, pick it apart, and enter it into my big book of mistakes (a notebook that I use to pick apart the questions I got wrong)
-Add section practice as necessary
-Aim for 100% (or close to it) accuracy

Phase 3: in progress
-PrepTests 24, 32, 34-62 (or whatever the most recent test will be), Timed (45 minutes, then 30 minutes):
-Two PrepTests/Week
-3 Day study cycle
Mon: LR
Tue: RC
Wed: LG, PT at night
Thu: LG
Fri: RC
Sat: LR
Sun: PT

Final Goal: 175 (but really, I'm quitting at 170)
Days to the Test: 87
Days to Score: 108

Spreadsheet: Click Here

Friday, September 17, 2010, D-86

Did PrepTest 15 tonight. I probably took way longer than I should, about 4 hours and 45 minutes. At least my PrepTest scores have gone up since I finished the Powerscore books. Got a 167 (-0 LG, -10 LR, -3 RC). Raw score of 88. The LR performance is a little upsetting but I found consolation in the fact that I'm doing a LOT better on LG and RC. And the fact that I could probably get a -10 or so on the real thing and still score my 172+. And well, there was that brutal curve. I started going over the questions I got wrong, and the first question I got wrong was a totally stupid mistake-wtf. Went through the question again and got it right the second time, but I got it wrong for the basic reason that I thought there were 4 theories described in the passage (and worked through the questions under that illusion-it's a goddamn miracle I got the rest right) when there were only 3. God I need to read more carefully. One of those science passages and one of those purpose/function questions. I suck at those. Main point questions too. I haven't gone over the LR questions yet, but I'm sure half of them were stupid mistakes like this too.

Analysis of the questions to come tomorrow. I'm tired and hungry. Time to go get a bite to eat and watch some TV. I'll see you tomorrow.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 26 times in total.

2011Law

Re: December LSAT Study Diary

Postby 2011Law » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 am

First, are you Marty McFly?

Second, you need to do a PT every 2 days until the Dec. test to get through all those tests (along with all that review you're planning). If you have neither school nor work that would be possible, but if you have either, I don't see this happening. I had the same problem when I was going for the Oct. test and realized I'd need to also a PT like every other day to get done, so now I'm on track for Dec. basically doing 2 PTs a week with review (I also planned out 3 weeks worth of breaks from this so I don't go crazy). Doing 3-4 a week non-stop with review until Dec. is insane. If you are really intent on taking the Dec test, I'd at least skip to PT 29 (Next 10).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:51 am

2011Law wrote:First, are you Marty McFly?

No, who's that

2011Law wrote:Second, you need to do a PT every 2 days until the Dec. test to get through all those tests (along with all that review you're planning). If you have neither school nor work that would be possible, but if you have either, I don't see this happening. I had the same problem when I was going for the Oct. test and realized I'd need to also a PT like every other day to get done, so now I'm on track for Dec. basically doing 2 PTs a week with review (I also planned out 3 weeks worth of breaks from this so I don't go crazy). Doing 3-4 a week non-stop with review until Dec. is insane. If you are really intent on taking the Dec test, I'd at least skip to PT 29 (Next 10).

Duly noted. I just didn't want to waste the later PT's (40-60) and I'm more than prepared to pull the trigger on postponing if necessary. Maybe I should go to PT29. I'm just afraid I'll get to PT40 before I'm ready to do timed PT's (e.g. consistently scoring -2 to -4 overall.....it's a long way up from -13, you know). I'm on break half the time at work so it gives me a good 3-4 extra hours a day to get studying done (and I actually do get studying done).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 am

Saturday, September 18, 2010, D-85

Revision from last entry: PT15 score was 166, raw score of 87 (-0 LG/-3 RC/-11 LR). I must be dyslexic.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh. I went through the questions I got wrong and turns out half of them could have been avoided if I took a few more seconds on each questions. I should have noticed something was up when I got -3 on the first LR section and then -8 on the second. Some stuff came up unexpectedly so I had to delay the PT I was going to do today till tomorrow. And I decided to skip ahead to PT25 and start there, and come back to PTs 16-24 if I have time later, or leave them for occasional section practice.

Btw, can anyone explain PT15, Section 3, Questions 19 (picked E, TCR was A) and 23 (picked B then C, TCR was E) for me? I can't for the life of me understand why the TCR is TCR.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Damn you totally stole my thread title, but in all seriousness you seem to have a solid plan in place.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:11 pm

I asked if you were McFly from Back to the Future because you wrote that you did PT 15 Fri night when it was still Fri morning. Also, today is Saturday the 18th not 19th.

You say that you're prepared to postpone taking the LSAT. Then that's probably what you should do if you really want to go through all those PTs, cause like I said I don't know how anyone can do a PT every other day, with review no less, for 3 months straight. If you decide you want to take in Feb or Jun, you should probably slow down a lot in terms of practice or just hold off because if you don't then you'll burn through the PTs long before the test. Also don't forget that you'll be able to apply early for the class of '15, instead of applying late for the class of '14 (more acceptances + more money). I'd say it's definitely worth it if you're not in a rush to start law school.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:42 am

Lol. I'm in Asia right now so in local time, it was Friday night....I'm like 14 hours ahead of you guys.

I was planning on applying for the 2012 cycle anyways, so plenty of time. My statistical analysis (or rather Powerscore's) of LSAT curves seems to indicate that the December test has the most generous curve (by about 2 points) so I was aiming for december. Plus I don't want to take any longer than I have to on the bloody thing :D I told myself I'm cutting myself off at 172 or 3 tests, whichever comes first....hopefully, it'll be the former (for a T14, with my crappy 3.49 I really do need that 172-damn I wish I worked harder in college) :mrgreen:

I gave myself until 9/1/11 to finish and turn in all my apps 8) I highly doubt that'll happen which is the reason I gave my self such an early deadline :D

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 am

Monday, September 20, 2010, D-83

11 weeks and 6 days left till the test. PrepTest 25 today, and I seem to have a hit a wall at a raw score of 88. LG perfect as always, hit a new high on RC (-1 yay) but LR is still at a lackluster -12. Damn, I really wish it would go into the single digits, at least. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'll post my spreadsheet in all its horrible score glory in a few days. Makes me wonder if I'm really incapable of focusing for 4 hours, or if taking an hour to do what's meant to be done in 35 minutes in an hour is burning me out, or if I still haven't gotten the technique down.

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Was originally slated to take the October 2010 exam and decided to postpone until December.

I'm currently scoring at 158 and hoping to creep up to the 160's in the next few weeks.

Solid plan. More exposure to the actual exams is necessary to do well. I've read other places on TLS that you need to see at least 30 LSAT exams to pull 170s.

I'm shooting for a 174. I'm planning on shooting for 3-4 full exams per week, spending the following day reviewing all of my answers. I will start logging all of my incorrect answers with full explanations for later use. I'll be taking a PT tomorrow, still working on my restructured study plan....so not sure yet which one...but will keep everyone updated.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I'm cutting myself off at 172 or 3 tests, whichever comes first....hopefully, it'll be the former (for a T14, with my crappy 3.49 I really do need that 172-damn I wish I worked harder in college)

With your GPA you could probably get into one of the lower t14s with a 170, though you would definitely solidify your chances with a 172. I do share your gpa pain though *sigh*

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:46 am

yeah but at 170, lower T14=Cornell/Georgetown/UVA ED (maybe), even given my willingness to pay full fare. Now with a 172 I could probably try for MVPDCNG.

Meh. Cornell wouldn't be too bad (besides living in miserable Ithaca and being 4th(?) fiddle in NYC and its evidently poor placement in biglaw). Duke would be nice. Penn would totally make my day.

Just got back from a 4 day vacation and a 3 hour train ride, and now I'm taking PrepTest 26. Too bad I'm exhausted. My eyelids never felt heavier. This is why I can't take vacations until this thing's over. Ugh.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:01 am

Saturday, September 25, 2010, D-78

PrepTest 26: 168/85 (-1 LG, -11 LR, -4 RC :shock: )
Still unable to break the 170 barrier. My raw scores are hovering between 85 and 88 on the last four PTs (post-Powerscore). I'm kind of shocked at my RC score considering that I've been hovering in the -1 to -3 range. I guess it's within the range of error. The 3 hour train ride followed by an hour+ bus ride followed by the 15 minute trek up to my office didn't really help. I guess it's time to get a tutor now. The 4 days off is REALLY taking a toll on my RC performance though. The fact that this score was UNTIMED sure as hell doesn't help.

Spreadsheet finally up.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 am

Tuesday, September 28, 2010, D-75

PT27: 175/91 (-3 LG, -5 LR, -2 RC)

My worst LG performance in 5 PrepTests. I must be out of practice on LG. Time to hit that powerscore workbook. I finally broke through the 88 barrier with regards to my raw score and though the curve was overly generous and probably will never be that good again (-15 for a 170) I feel good. I went through the LG mistakes and 1 of the wrong answers I picked the wrong choice right after I proved it to be wrong (wtf) and the other two I admit forgot an important consideration. I guess having done section practice yesterday on LR did help. The -3 did shake my confidence in LG, although it doesn't matter as long as I get a high overall score.

T-4 days until I have to take the Diagnostic test on Knewton.

Revision from last entry: Score on PT26 was 169/86 (-1 LG, -10 LR, -4 RC)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Just a random question, now that I have a 90+ raw score, am I ready to take timed PTs? Or stick with the plan and go to 95+ before taking timed PTs?

btw, 73 days to Test day, 52 until I'm committed.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 am

Thursday, September 30, 2010, D-73

PrepTest 28: 170/88 (-1 LG, -9 LR, -3 RC)

Good news: I broke the 170 barrier. Bad news: a) it's untimed, and b) the 175 I got two days ago was a fluke (or a grading mistake lol). The question is though if it is normal for raw score improvements to be nonlinear. There always seems to be a dropoff in my PT scores before there's any improvement. From my statistical analysis my raw scores went 85->86->88->86->91->88, which what I see indicates a pattern of a score decrease before improvement. Or are they all within the margin of error?.....we'll see.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:58 am

I just wanted to say great thread, I love these reads. I wont be taking the test until next june but addicted to this site.

You have a logical/reasonably plan set forth ahead of you. If you dont mind me asking a few qs.

1. Original PT score (diagnostic)

2. Did you read all the powerscore books first than the PTS (sorry if you already mentioned but I'm drunk, forgive me)

3. Where are you studying (ie home, library, school)

deakon10

Postby deakon10 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I really really really think you should start TIMED sections. I made the mistake of doing untimed, but it really is absolutely no predictor of your actual abilities. With unlimited time, almost anyone should be able score in 170s. If anything, start off at 45 min sections and bring yourself down to 35 minutes (some people lower to 32 minutes so test-day seems more prepared.)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm

jeremydc wrote:I just wanted to say great thread, I love these reads. I wont be taking the test until next june but addicted to this site.

You have a logical/reasonably plan set forth ahead of you. If you dont mind me asking a few qs.

1. Original PT score (diagnostic)

2. Did you read all the powerscore books first than the PTS (sorry if you already mentioned but I'm drunk, forgive me)

3. Where are you studying (ie home, library, school)

1. The diagnostic I took in March with Kaplan (PT36) was a 155. The one I took by myself in August (4 section, timed) was also a 155.

2. I originally was going to do PTs once a week while reading the Powerscore books but I read all 3 of the books and did a bunch of games drills from the workbook before I started PTing.

3. At home and at work....and pretty much anywhere

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

deakon10 wrote:I really really really think you should start TIMED sections. I made the mistake of doing untimed, but it really is absolutely no predictor of your actual abilities. With unlimited time, almost anyone should be able score in 170s. If anything, start off at 45 min sections and bring yourself down to 35 minutes (some people lower to 32 minutes so test-day seems more prepared.)

Yeah I thought about that too but then I figured if I can't get the scores I want untimed, there's no way I can get them timed, so I was holding off on those. I usually limit myself to taking an hour or less per section and the last 2 PrepTests I took 4 hours for the whole thing +/- 5 minutes, so I think I'll start cutting down the time now. Probably start at 50 minutes, then 40, then go down to 30.

The problem is there's no particular pattern as to where I'm getting the wrong answers (i.e. sometimes I'd get about the same number wrong on each section, sometimes bomb the first section then ace the last with steady improvement, and sometimes I'd ace the first section then bomb the last....) so I'm not sure if it's a pacing issue or if it's that I'm having a problem with the harder questions.

Of course the biggest pain in the ass is LR.....best section was -1 on PrepTest 27 in 1 hour exactly, and the worst was timed 35 minutes at -12 (pre-Powerscore, worst post-Powerscore was I think -7 or sth), so.....

Btw, between the online/phone tutoring options (I'm out of the country, can't do in person tutoring) which one, between AtlasLSAT, Powerscore and Princeton Review, is TCR? (I've excluded Kaplan because I heard their methods were garbage)

The thing that makes me hesitate with AtlasLSAT is a) it costs twice as much as Powerscore, b) I'm already much more familiar with the Powerscore techniques and I'm not sure if it's worth my time to learn a whole new set, and c) I have no idea how good their tutors actually are, but AtlasLSAT is live online (and supposedly I can see the instructor via webcam) vs. Powerscore on the phone (where I supposedly cannot). I have one last ditch option which is to find a tutor here but the best qualified one I found got a 171 which just happens to be lower than my target score....I probably just need one for the last 6 weeks or so, just to get those last few questions.

Just so happens that I have to take the diagnostic on Knewton tomorrow-I guess it's a good place to start, but the score will probably be lower by 3-5 points because the whole thing is online and I can't mark up passages and stuff.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 am

Monday, October 4th, 2010, D-67

PrepTest 29 (Timed-45 minutes): 155/66 :shock: (-1 LG, -21 LR, -13 RC) :shock: :shock:

God damn. Pacing seems to be my worst problem. I got to 3/4 passages on RC which pretty much sucks. I ran out of time on every single section except for the last one, except the second LR I got like the last 6 or so wrong. Total disaster. What's interesting though, is my last PrepTest score was a 170/88, at 4 hours, and this one is 155/66, at 3 hours (score decreased in direct proportion to time)-the Powerscore techniques work but they take way too much freakin' time. I don't know if people get faster at it but it's looking really hopeless (I had a 155 at regular time the last PT, that was pre-Powerscore, I'm probably just out of practice). The plan is to do 45 minutes/section until I get into the 170's zone (probably the next 10 test or so), then crank down to 30 minutes all the way up to PT60. Doesn't seem to be much of a pattern as to what I'm getting wrong-I seem to be getting a lot of questions wrong across the board. I could have had a perfect LG if I had another damn minute and if I didn't get stuck on the second game or whatever ugh. I was hoping since I did go through the Powerscore books I'd get at least a 160 but there goes my hopes and dreams. Oh well, PT30 on Wednesday night, hopefully I'll do somewhat better after endless drilling (timed :roll: ) and what not. At least I got the same performance on LG (guessed on the last two, luckily one of them was right).

So any of you in the 172+ crew have any time management advice? I seem to be pacing well through the first half of each section, then things go south really fast from there...well except for RC. On RC I'm hopeless at pacing (has to do with the fact that I'm a slow reader too, but it takes me no more than 3 minutes to read the passages, I just take so much bloody time on the questions). I took 15 minutes on the first passage and 12 on the second, so yeah I had like 4 minutes for the last passage (which I did in 1-2-4-3 order).

motiontodismiss

Re: MTD's December LSAT Study Journal

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:51 am

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010, D-67

PrepTest 30: 165/79 (-2 LG, -12 LR, -8 RC)

My second 45 minute test. Thankfully, my pacing got a LOT better, even had time left over on Section 4. Pacing on Games totally sucked though, it's a miracle I got a perfect on the last game with FOUR MINUTES LEFT. The good news is the 155 I got on Monday was a total fluke (hopefully)...I guess 3.5 hours of sleep the night before and a full day at work does that to you. I did realize though that the time I spend reviewing is probably woefully inadequate-I spend a the next day after a PT reviewing and drilling the PT from the day before-I like to let the PT sit overnight before redoing the questions I get wrong so I "forget" what the correct answer is. I didn't realize that fatigue would take a 13 point toll on my score-all I did differently was get a lot more sleep and not go to work. I seem to have the most trouble on must be true questions on RC and LR oddly-aren't they supposed to be the easiest questions? If things keep going at this pace, I might get into the 170's faster than I thought.

I'll post my updated spreadsheet this weekend.

And an all-too-late revision: PrepTest 27 was a 174/90 (-3 LG, -6 LR, -2 RC)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 am

Saturday, October 9th, 2010, D-64

PrepTest 31: Incomplete

Fuck. I should NOT have had cake for brunch. I just stopped a quarter of the way through Section 2 because I knew I got my ass kicked on logic games and felt my ass getting kicked on LR (-1 out of the 6 I actually got done before giving up). Fortunately I only got 6 wrong which is good considering I hadn't gotten to the last game AT ALL. I'm seriously considering postponing to February, but I don't want to make the decision prematurely, though I should be able to decide by the end of the month. Pacing was okay on the LR (moving along at a pace of about 85-100 seconds per question), but on LG I spent like 15 minutes on the second and third games leaving me with a whopping 4 minutes on the fourth. And they happened to be grouping games, a horrible type that I despise because it's full of conditionals that are impossible to diagram because the rules are only triggered if the item in question shows up.

Does anyone else feel like they'd end up getting like a 140 on the real thing and paying full fare at Cooley? Or is that just me?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 am

Sunday, October 10th, 2010, D-63

PrepTest 33 (Timed-45 minutes): 159/70 (-6 LG, -13 LR, -12 RC) :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wouldn't be so worried about this score if I weren't 2 months out and if I weren't doing 45 minute sections. Problem is that I keep getting distracted in the middle of the section. For some reason I started having hot flashes in the middle of the section which sucked, but yeah I feel like I'm getting worse at this. I fucked up timing again and no matter how much I try to work on pacing I seem to fail. Miserably. At this pace, I'll probably fail the december test, since I seem to be getting nowhere on my score. which went from 155 to 165 to 159 for the 3 timed tests I have done. Now I'm starting to think that maybe I'm trying to do too much in too little time, and I should postpone to February. That still gives me 3 chances to take the test for the 2012 admit cycle (Feb, June, October if it comes to that). I've got a full time job (albeit I spend about half my time at work studying), I'm studying for the LSAT, and also doing other shit. Could be that I'm overworked. I did that thing again where I had like 7 minutes left for the last passage. And even my LG section's suffering. The one I did yesterday was a -6, the one I did today was a -6. How could one possibly be getting dumber? On the last two preptests LG was -1 and -2 respectively.

Could be clinical depression. I have no idea what's going on but since Thursday my mind's been just like, completely unable to focus.

motiontodismiss

Re: MTD's FEBRUARY LSAT Study Journal

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 am

Monday, October 11th, 2010, D-125

At work. I postponed my test to February this morning which should give me more time to study and do all the review that I should be doing instead of rushing through it. I revised my study plan to 2 PrepTests/week (Wednesday night after work, saturday morning/afternoon), with review and some serious drilling. And since I have a ton of time at work where I'm doing nothing, I'm starting off each day at work with a logic game, a RC passage, and 5 LR questions. As soon as I get to work. I'm going through PrepTest 30 right now (review), a task I should have finished before yesterday. But here I am, working on PT30 and not having even touched 33. Plus I figured I'll need time to internalize both the Powerscore and Knewton techniques (and see which one works better). If I were to take the December one, bomb it, then have to retake, I'd run out of study material, so I'd prefer to give myself the best chances possible at the 170s, even if it cost me $68.

Hopefully this should give me a greater chance at that 175.

motiontodismiss

Re: MTD's December LSAT Study Journal (now February)

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Wednesday, October 13th, 2010, D-123

PrepTest 24 (Timed, 45 minutes): 168/84 (-3 LG, -10 LR, -4 RC)

I guess the endless (okay not endless) drilling helped with my score. I started doing one logic game, 1 RC passage, and 5-10 LR questions first thing in the morning, every single morning starting Monday. This is a 14 point improvement over PrepTest 33, and after a full day of work to boot. I like to dream that since I did this after a full day at work (where I study anywhere between 3 and 4 hours) I like to think that if I did this first thing after I got up I'd score in the 170's. Last time, my PT difference was 10 points. Then again though, PT29 was the first timed test I did and I only got like 3 hours of sleep the night before I did that test, so for what it's worth it's not a very good comparison. If I keep scoring in this range I should get to the mid 170's in a few weeks which is always good news. Timing is still an issue on RC (heck, it's a fucking miracle I got to all four passages in reasonable time) and on LG I spent like 20 minutes on the last game for some reason but got through games 1 and 2 in like 6 minutes. This makes me feel so completely ready for the February test.

I guess the credited way to study was to actually do extra practice on questions I get wrong a lot (or just across the board) on top of actual review. I'll post analysis of selected questions sometime later, but it's 2:30 in the morning here and I need to go to bed. I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”