LR: Finishing with time left or going slower?

kpuc

LR: Finishing with time left or going slower?

Postby kpuc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I find that normally, I have about 5 minutes to spare by the time I finish LR. The problem is that I don't think I'm using my time efficiently.

I can almost always finish the first 15 in about 15 minutes, and I almost never get any of these wrong. I usually spend my extra time going over any question that gave me trouble. However, I rarely end up changing my answer, and spend 2-3 minutes finally convincing myself that that tough little #19 was indeed B.

Then, when I check answers, I get 1-3 other questions wrong because I didn't quite read the stimulus or A/Cs enough!

So instead of trying to finish with 5 minutes left over, should I try slowing down a bit from #16-25?

I think a 180 is within my reach on test day, so for all you high scorers, do you find that it's better to pace yourself and use up all the time given to you, or finish early with time left over to check questions?

eliekedourie

Re: LR: Finishing with time left or going slower?

Postby eliekedourie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 pm

What's helped me get my LRs down to -0 to -2 total has taking time to make sure I read every answer choice and evaluate them. I mark an X next to ones I believe to be wrong. I mark a check next to ones I believe to be right. If there's one I'm not sure about or I like a lot but less than another, I mark it with a dash. I use any extra time to go over those answers I was unsure about. By making myself read and evaluate very answer choice, I am very rarely getting any answers wrong.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 pm

I do that too, but my problem seems to be that there's always a couple of questions that I read too quickly and end up erroneously eliminating answers. I think I'm just really afraid of running out of time at the end so I try to finish as soon as possible.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 pm

Well, hopefully you have a few PTs saved up so you can experiment wit different pacing. Slow yourself down and see how it goes. If it doesn't help, no big deal. But it could make all the difference.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Yeah, I have 53-60 and 46-48, so I have plenty of PTs left. Plus some in the "10 More Actual LSATs" book that I never got around to.

I think I'm going to aim for 2 minutes left to finish. An extra 3 minutes on #15-25 could make a lot of difference.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:54 pm

On the ones you end up getting wrong, were you confident in selecting the wrong answer?
With 5 minutes left you have plenty of time to mark ones that you are unsure of and return to them.

I would not suggest slowing down overall, because you run the risk of getting a difficult LR section on the real thing and not finishing.

However, if you are getting them wrong, then there should be some part of you that thinks as you fill in the bubble that you aren't sold on the answer...since they will be logically opposite of the correct answer...and if that is indeed the case, just make sure you mark and return to them, you have time.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 am

On the ones you end up getting wrong, were you confident in selecting the wrong answer?
With 5 minutes left you have plenty of time to mark ones that you are unsure of and return to them.

Yes I was confident, because while my answer was reasonably good, there was a better one. If I had taken more time to read all of the A/Cs instead of breezing through them, I might've not gotten them wrong.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 am

kpuc wrote:Yes I was confident, because while my answer was reasonably good, there was a better one. If I had taken more time to read all of the A/Cs instead of breezing through them, I might've not gotten them wrong.

FYI, there is no such thing as a 'better' answer on the LSAT. There is always 4 answers that are wrong for very specific reasons (even if that reason is extremely difficult to find at times) and 1 answer that is correct.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:38 am

FYI, there is no such thing as a 'better' answer on the LSAT. There is always 4 answers that are wrong for very specific reasons (even if that reason is extremely difficult to find at times) and 1 answer that is correct.

In Strengthen/Weaken questions, there are certain A/Cs that do strengthen or weaken, but are not ones that would Strengthen/Weaken it the most. That is what I meant by "better".

Obviously, there are 4 wrong answers and 1 correct answer, or else the test would come under fire.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 am

kpuc wrote:In Strengthen/Weaken questions, there are certain A/Cs that do strengthen or weaken, but are not ones that would Strengthen/Weaken it the most.

Not substantially, if at all. And definitely not enough on any question I can think of to say that incorrect answer was "reasonably good". This a good sign that you might be missing some aspects of incorrect answer choices that you could use to eliminate them more consistently.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 am

I agree with kpuc; there are questions that specifically ask you which answer is the "most" correct, and often there are two that are at least substantially correct, and sometimes neither one is wholly correct in itself. It is not always possible to eliminate every answer; sometimes a subjective decision is required. Of course, perhaps suspicious android is correct and I'm just failing to grasp the wrongness of those answers. That would explain why I do occasionally miss one on LR.

To address the thread topic, I consider each question and do not rush and I still finish with 8 or 9 minutes left over. If there are any questions that I feel require a more thorough analysis, I save them for last, because I know from experience that I will have ample time and finishing the others first eases the psychological pressure.

Today on PT54 I scored -1 on the combined two LR sections, and finished each with over 8 minutes remaining.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:22 am

This happens To me too quite frequently. I am going to try different methods to see if I have an improvement. I try and spend 1 min 30 sec on most questions. But even then I feel like I'm running out of time even when I'm not.

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 am

kpuc wrote:

In Strengthen/Weaken questions, there are certain A/Cs that do strengthen or weaken, but are not ones that would Strengthen/Weaken it the most. That is what I meant by "better".

Obviously, there are 4 wrong answers and 1 correct answer, or else the test would come under fire.

Yeah not to get off topic, but on strengthen weaken, there is exactly one answer that strengthens or weakens, and four that either do the opposite, or have no effect on the argument. The wording of the questions is to cover their rear in the rare event that they do have an answer choice as you described, but it isn't standard by any means.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 pm

I wouldn't recommend going slower, because you're probably going to lose time on test day due to nerves. I'm actually surprised that no one has said this yet, since it's such a common experience. On my practice tests, I had a good ten minutes to spare on LR; on test day, I just barely finished. Don't rush yourself, but don't dawdle, either.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”