Taking a Logic course concurrently with studying

lakers3peat

Taking a Logic course concurrently with studying

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I was wondering of your opinions in regards to taking a logic class while studying. I have already graduated and have since focused on mainly studying. My hardest section is LR. Games I have down solid but LR i make lots of mistakes and run out of time. when i was in college, part of our core curriculum was to take logic 101. I took "basic logic" at junior college and xferred the credit. The summer school class I took at JC was not very difficult but we did cover logical fallacies and some basic necessary/sufficient stuff. however, it wasn't very serious of a course... I was wondering what you all thought about taking another course, maybe a higher scale logic course? or at a 4 year university logic? anyone ever do this?

NaturalLawyer

Re: Taking a Logic course concurrently with studying

Postby NaturalLawyer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm

While taking higher-level logic courses would be beneficial in terms of training your mind, I don't think they would help you very much on the LR sections of the LSAT. Higher-level logic courses become much more philosophical and abstract, and will not help you all that much in spotting assumptions, weak inferences, etc.

If anything, you should try taking a critical reasoning course or go through a few informal fallacy books. Douglas Walton's Informal Logic is good. I also think Nigel Warburton's "Thinking from A to Z" cover important concepts that appear on the LSAT quite frequently and so is definitely worth reading.

Basic logic is really all you need for the LSAT. Just keep doing problems and try to memorize common fallacies.

Here is one great website to check out:
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

Good luck!

whymeohgodno

Re: Taking a Logic course concurrently with studying

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 pm

I took a formal logic course. I find that it helped me with formal logic questions and learning how to quickly form contrapositives and recognize conditional statements.

However, these skills can be learned through straight up studying for the LSAT. There's nothing in a formal logic course that you can't gain by just studying for the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”