LG #18 on Test 54

rso11

LG #18 on Test 54

Postby rso11 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Is there a right answer to this?? Can't you assume that if the directions say lowest to highest that the 'lowest' is on the L and 'highest' is on the right, since that's how English is read? Either way I do NOT see a correct answer for this that satisfies all the rules!

DearCan

Re: LG #18 on Test 54

Postby DearCan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am

rso11 wrote:Is there a right answer to this?? Can't you assume that if the directions say lowest to highest that the 'lowest' is on the L and 'highest' is on the right, since that's how English is read? Either way I do NOT see a correct answer for this that satisfies all the rules!

A cannot be correct because H is not lower than J and K.
C cannot be correct because the accepted bid must be K or R and be either the 2nd or 3rd bid and neither K nor R is in the 2nd or 3rd slot.
D cannot be correct because J is 4th but is not lower than S.
E cannot be correct because J is not 4th and yet S and T are both higher than J.

So B is correct.

Does this help?

rso11

Postby rso11 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Okay, thanks for your help! But how did you know which direction to go in? Since the directions say "from lowest to highest" I took that to mean the L end is the lowest and the R end is the highest. The directions usually indicate how you're supposed to look at the list in situations like this. But this time you only get an answer if you go in the opposite direction--with LEFT being highest. Did you just happen to pick that orientation?

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 pm

rso11 wrote:Okay, thanks for your help! But how did you know which direction to go in? Since the directions say "from lowest to highest" I took that to mean the L end is the lowest and the R end is the highest. The directions usually indicate how you're supposed to look at the list in situations like this. But this time you only get an answer if you go in the opposite direction--with LEFT being highest. Did you just happen to pick that orientation?

Hm, I don't understand. I made my diagram with left being low and right being high, and the answers are the same way...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”