First Perfect Test Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eliekedourie

Bronze

First Perfect Test

Post by eliekedourie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm

So I just took PT 46 and managed my first -0 overall. I did get -1 on an exp. LG section, but f- that...I'm counting this as a perfect test. This is my 5th 180. I've managed them on SP C, PT 16, PT 18, and PT 45 before that. I've also gotten 179s on PT 17 and PT 12. These last two 180s have been a huge relief since, as you can see, my previous 180s were all on very old PTs. I had also been freaking out due to maxing on at 174 on PTs 40-44 and getting some low 170s. I'm not saying this to brag. I have put in a HUGE amount of work on prepping for this test. I have so far taken a Testmasters course last spring and got a 167 on the June 2010 test. This was consistent with my avg, but I knew I could do better with more PTs. Since that class I have taken 37 PTs, and am now working on 47-60.

I've noticed a few things that I've tried recently that have dramatically improved my performance. I STRONGLY advise people to take PTs in both very quiet areas and somewhat noisy areas such as libraries with open windows. By mixing it up, I am not thrown in any environment and can focus through such things as very extreme storms (such as the one in NYC tonight). After working on my speed, I have had to make a concerted effort to slow down a bit by making myself read every answer choice and evaluating them all. I mark an "X" next to wrong answers, a check mark next to right seeming ones, and a dash next to ones I'm not sure of. With my extra time, I return to any questions where I was unable to make 4 answer choices with Xs.

As for LGs, I strongly recommended drilling with games you found tough. Any LG section where I scored more than -2 I have re-done multiple times as an experimental section on later tests. I used to struggle to finish my LG section on time and today finished the LG section of PT 46 with 9 minutes to spare.

Lastly, never react to the answer pattern in the answer sheet. Of course, if you mark 5 As or more in a row, something's up. But do not react to odd patterns. Don't let that effect which questions you review with the precious few minutes left after completing a section.

Hopefully someone will find this helpful. Writing this has been as much about helping someone else as helping me to clarify these thoughts and re-enforce them in my brain.

I should note that I've been prepping this hard not because I'm some sort of gunner, but because I've been out of school almost 4 years and have only a 3.48 UGPA. I feel like I really need to get into a t14 school and am particularly excited about Northwestern. With my GPA, I need a score very solidly in the 170s and if I want any $ I know my score needs to be in the mid to high 170s.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: First Perfect Test

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I do all the same things you do, and I find it helpful. Of course, I haven't had a perfect test or even a 180 yet. YET ;)

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I didn't get one until I took 24 PTs...

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:47 am

How many months have you spent on overall prep?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 am

That is really cool. I've sometimes wondered if I will ever get a perfect -0 on an LSAT. The closest I have come was -2, which was a 180, but that was an older PT.

On more recent tests, I tend to average about -4 total and I feel like I've hit the ceiling. I feel as though the ones that I miss are nearly random at this point, and I don't know if there is anything I can do to eliminate these errors. Certainly I am in the range where 180 is possible, but I feel as though actually achieving perfection would be all but impossible without a generous helping of luck.

It sounds like you've gone a bit beyond simple luck. I wish I could do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:21 am

impressive and motivating, thanks for sharing

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:07 am

I took PT 46 today and scored a 179 but it felt unusually easy. I really hope the test is more like the newer (50+ tests) than the older tests.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:55 am

fosterp wrote:How many months have you spent on overall prep?

I've been working on the LSAT in varying degrees since March 2010. I've really stepped it up since Late June when I started working on the PTs. I began by doing untimed tests and then started doing timed 4 section tests a couple of times a week. I never do more than 5 a week, but I never do fewer than 2. For the next 3 weeks I'll be doing 5 a week, bringing my total PTs to 52 or 53 depending on whether I do one on Saturday.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:07 pm

eliekedourie wrote:
fosterp wrote:How many months have you spent on overall prep?

I've been working on the LSAT in varying degrees since March 2010. I've really stepped it up since Late June when I started working on the PTs. I began by doing untimed tests and then started doing timed 4 section tests a couple of times a week. I never do more than 5 a week, but I never do fewer than 2. For the next 3 weeks I'll be doing 5 a week, bringing my total PTs to 52 or 53 depending on whether I do one on Saturday.
Anything noteworthy in the trend of your scores? When you first started what were your scores looking like? Was their a certain "point" where your scores started climbing significantly? I ask because I am aiming for a very high score, but after about 2 and a half months I am still stuck in the high 160s. Not sure if its just not in the cards for me, or if getting into the 170s really takes a lot more time and dedication. I've only done about 8 fully timed tests thus far, but nearly all of individual sections from the three 10PT books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

OP: What was your initial diagnostic LSAT practice test score before taking the TestMasters course ?

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 pm

My scores started to improve just before the LSAT. I got my first score over 170 in the week before the June LSAT. When I returned to PTing I started in the low 170s after a few untimed tests in the high 170s. It wasn't until I had taken over 10 PTs that I started to score in the high 170s and I didn't get my first 180 until I had taken over 20 PTs. Two months is not very long to have been studying. Some can definitely score in the high 170s after that much time, but I couldn't. It's taken me about 6 months of pretty intensive studying (although I am not one of those folks who lives off their parents while studying as I have a full time job) to get where I am.

And...my cold diagnostic was 155.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”