Blueprint Course and Preprepping

thouse

Blueprint Course and Preprepping

Postby thouse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 pm

I am planning to take the blueprint the movie course and I have both the powerscore bibles of games and logical reasoning, which one which you guys preprep with unitl I get the materials from blue print.

Jeffort

Re: Blueprint Course and Preprepping

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:26 pm

thouse wrote:I am planning to take the blueprint the movie course and I have both the powerscore bibles of games and logical reasoning, which one which you guys preprep with unitl I get the materials from blue print.

Pre-prep, really? You are going to prep to prep? :P

Reminds me of a scene from the movie Office Space where there is a giant flowchart on a whiteboard titled "Planning to Plan" :P

Since you have the LGB and LRB already, if you really are itching to get moving forward learning the test right away you might as well crack open those books and start reading them. However, it's generally a bad idea to mix and match prep materials/instruction from different sources since each company presents things differently and has their own take on things/ways of teaching you to approach things. In this case I don't think that would be a big deal though if you start reading the PS bibles now since they are sound and break down the important stuff in similar logical ways as other companies that have a good curriculum and methodologies.

thouse

Postby thouse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:31 pm

If you only knew how bad I am at this test you would understand the need to preprep in my case :)

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 pm

I took the Blueprint Course. When are your materials arriving? I would just hold off. Do the course (and your homework!). Then, if you're still having trouble consult the bibles. I have the bibles too. I really did LOVE the LGB.

thouse

Postby thouse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:39 pm

I plan on ordering them tomorrow, I live in Florida so I suspect they will come sometime next week, is there a way to rush the shipping?

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:40 pm

That I don't remember? What test are you planning on taking? I retract my earlier statement if you're signed up for October...

thouse

Postby thouse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:43 pm

I am signed up for Oct but I will probably postpone

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 pm

thouse wrote:I am signed up for Oct but I will probably postpone

Based on your comments and the fact that the October test is 3 weeks away, please do yourself a favor and postpone your test date. Otherwise you risk ending up becoming one of those posters that starts threads like "How screwed am I? Rushed into October and bombed, want to apply right away and get into a T14 LS, what do I do now?"

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

^^^

I agree. Postpone. Do the course right, and invest the needed time.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Agreed about the postponing. Three weeks is a very short amount of time to prep for the LSAT from scratch. The deadline to do so is Sunday.

The BP curriculum is really comprehensive, and covers everything in more depth and with more practice than the Bibles (not to disparage the bibles, of course, but it's just that they're a lot shorter), so I'd say you might be best off waiting until you get your materials.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

I took a physical BP course in spring of '09 with trent and thought the class was fantastic. Unfortunately, personal things arose and I postponed taking the LSAT until this year. Anyways, the core concepts are pretty similar between the Powerscore books and BP but the categorizations are a bit different. IMO, after doing both courses, i'd recommend using powerscore as your foundation and supplementing things from BP. The explanations in PS may be a bit easier to follow and they're a lot more in-depth. The BP books should give you way more material to practice because the PS series is a bit light on actual problems. That being said, careful not to overdo the problems in BP because some of them are from more modern PTs and you may regret seeing them beforehand.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Do you have the option of taking a Powerscore course in your area ?

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:I took a physical BP course in spring of '09 with trent and thought the class was fantastic. Unfortunately, personal things arose and I postponed taking the LSAT until this year. Anyways, the core concepts are pretty similar between the Powerscore books and BP but the categorizations are a bit different. IMO, after doing both courses, i'd recommend using powerscore as your foundation and supplementing things from BP. The explanations in PS may be a bit easier to follow and they're a lot more in-depth. The BP books should give you way more material to practice because the PS series is a bit light on actual problems. That being said, careful not to overdo the problems in BP because some of them are from more modern PTs and you may regret seeing them beforehand.

This.

Use BP for homework and supplemental strategy. Their strategies/categorizations are fine and there's nothing wrong with creating a hybrid of strategies that works best FOR YOU. Eventually you'll use the basics from each and form your own way of doing things (correctly) because everyone's style is different. That said, it's best to subscribe to the methodology first before you just wing it/mix and match.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Could not agree more. Many people get into trouble when they try to actually combine and mix strategies and this can become extremely problematic. If said strategy is not working for you in the PS book, then check out how BP attempts to do it. Personally, the majority of my strategy is taken from PS with very few things taken from BP. In the end, it comes down to what works best for you. One thing I will note, PS has, hands down, the best approach to LG that I have seen. Above everything else, make sure the LGB literally becomes your bible.

thouse

Postby thouse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 pm

[quote="CanadianWolf"]Do you have the option of taking a Powerscore course in your area ?[/quo

yes, they offer a weekend course in a couple of weeks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”