So, which one is better?

yngblkgifted

So, which one is better?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:34 pm

For my first academic LOR I have a professor who is the director of my honors program within my major. She has experienced me for roughly two semesters and then I still need another LOR.
My question is: should I go with a professor that I've had one class with but feel they could write a strong LOR or should I go with my advisor of my actual honors project (who I also feel could write a strong letter)?
The person who is the advisor has never "taught" me before in an actual class, but she has worked with me on my honors project and thesis since last semester and I know them failry well and will continue to meet with them on a weekly basis until I pretty much graduate.

My main question is: does an academic advisor count just as much as a professor? or are they considered better or worse than a professor?

2011Cycle

Re: So, which one is better?

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Both

Many schools request more than one or none at all. Send the professor recommendation to those schools which are reaches since they are most likely interested in writing ability and in-class performance.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 pm

So Use both of them but at different schools? What if I have one LOR from an employer already? I thought that one should send 2 LORs that are academic ussually and then any additional supplementary ones (ie my employer). Is this generally true?

Also, I put this in the wrong forum by mistake, so sorry that it is off topic.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:52 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:So Use both of them but at different schools?

No, use both for all schools. What school doesn't want--or strongly discourages--at least 2 LORs?

What if I have one LOR from an employer already? I thought that one should send 2 LORs that are academic ussually and then any additional supplementary ones (ie my employer). Is this generally true?

Yes, generally.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 pm

By both of them I meant from both the adviser and the professor (that would make 3 counting the academic LOR that I already have) plus one from my employer for a total of 4. Isn't that too many?

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:45 pm

You didn't specify that the first professor you mentioned is not the same as the second professor you mentioned. I hope that clarifies my response.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry about that. I can see how that would be confusing. My question is would it be ok to use the academic adviser instead of the professor for my second LOR? or is it professor > academic adviser?

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Personally, I would go with the professor over the advisor because the professor would be (or at least should be) able to speak more about your academic work whereas the advisor would probably only be able to talk generally about your courses and your progress. I think other people here would say that the difference is inconsequential and that you should simply send in the stronger LOR.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”