LR question for fun

Cromartie

LR question for fun

Postby Cromartie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 pm

It's an atypically slow day at work, so I have some time on my hands. For those of you looking to hone your LR skills, give the question below a shot. First one to come up with the right answer gets full bragging rights.

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?
A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions

bk1

Re: LR question for fun

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Cromartie was a badass, that is all.

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I say D, the experiment might have found an alternate way of making the fullerites that can offer no clues as to how they are formed naturally.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:11 pm

decrumpit wrote:I say D, the experiment might have found an alternate way of making the fullerites that can offer no clues as to how they are formed naturally.

You got it. D is the CR.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:14 pm

yup I thought it was D too. And yet my LR percentage correct per test is around 80%, so sad.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:27 pm

bk1 wrote:Cromartie was a badass, that is all.

That he was, although not quite as badass as her...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”