LSAT in December a bad idea?

decrumpit

LSAT in December a bad idea?

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Hello all,

Here are my circumstances, I would appreciate any advice!

I was just recently offered a lucrative and professional job overseas. I am currently registered for the October LSAT but I cannot change the test center and I must take it in December if I take the job. The job itself is a huge resume booster and pays well.

Is the December LSAT not advised if I am going to apply to schools this fall/winter? If I apply after December 11th, would it be the end of the world? Will the new score be sent to the schools?

Currently I have a 3.95/155 (I've been taking practice tests and my score is now ranging in 160-165) so I stand to significantly improve. I am done with college. What would you all do?

IAFG

Re: LSAT in December a bad idea?

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 pm

decrumpit wrote:lucrative and professional job overseas... What would you all do?

not go to LS, ywia

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

not go to LS, ywia

I will be going to Law School next year, that's for sure.

I will be waiting around here doing a menial job or I'll go abroad, the only question is whether it would harm my chances for getting into law school if I applied in December as opposed to November, 1 month earlier.

I'm on the fence because it looks good on a resume, pays well, and scores me diversity points.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
decrumpit wrote:lucrative and professional job overseas... What would you all do?

not go to LS, ywia

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm

naterj wrote:
IAFG wrote:

not go to LS, ywia

I am going to law school. The question is when to apply, and if the Dec. test will hurt me.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Dude, if you got a sweet job that pays, don't go to law school. The market right now is shit.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 pm

If you have a lucrative job offer, why would you work a menial job?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm

decrumpit wrote:
not go to LS, ywia

I will be going to Law School next year, that's for sure.

Not a good one if you don't straighten out your priorities and get that 155 score way up, especially when applying late, being busy between now and the test with a new job and little time to prep or prepare good applications.

Do you want to travel and make some good $$$ right now or do you want to buckle down and make preparing for the LSAT and getting into a good LS your priority?
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Not a good one if you don't straighten out your priorities and get that 155 score way up, especially when applying late, being busy between now and the test with a new job and little time to prep or prepare good applications.

Touche, sir.

When is the right time to apply? I've heard pre-Halloween applications are not advised.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 pm

The December test date may harm your chances for grant/merit money as well as lower chances of admission for rolling admissions law schools.

What type of overseas job is lucrative & a significant resume booster if it requires just a committment of one year or less ? Is it a teaching position ?

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 pm

What type of overseas job is lucrative & a significant resume booster if it requires just a committment of one year or less ? Is it a teaching position ?

Yessir.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 pm

decrumpit wrote:

Touche, sir.

When is the right time to apply? I've heard pre-Halloween applications are not advised.

Earlier the better. There is nothing wrong with pre-Halloween, in fact I would say it is better before Halloween than after considering that a lot of applications go complete then due to the October LSAT going through.

decrumpit

Postby decrumpit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Earlier the better. There is nothing wrong with pre-Halloween, in fact I would say it is better before Halloween than after considering that a lot of applications go complete then due to the October LSAT going through.

This is excellent advice, thank you for dispelling a rumor.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
decrumpit wrote:

Touche, sir.

With the caveat of having a reported LSAT score that is in range for the desired LS's. It doesn't matter how early you apply if your numbers are not within the index ranges of the schools you apply to. It would be nice to know which schools the potential international traveler is interested in. So far it doesn't sound like the person is being realistic about and seriously considering how long and how much dedicated prep effort it takes to raise a 155 to a test day 165+.

Trying to do that while temporarily re-locating overseas learning and doing a new job along with the culture and location change doesn't sound like a good formula that leaves much of any time to dedicate to LSAT prep and application preparation.
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:37 pm

The December LSAT is not a severe disadvantage (unlike, say, February), but you do have to be ready to press the button to submit everything the moment your LSAT score comes through or earlier. Each year, the most-taken test dates are October and December, so you're in good company.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Jeffort wrote:With the caveat of having a reported LSAT score that is in range for the desired LS's. It doesn't matter how early you apply if your numbers are not within the index ranges of the schools you apply to. It would be nice to know which schools the potential international traveler is interested in. So far it doesn't sound like the person is being realistic about and seriously considering how long and how much prep effort it takes to raise a 155 to a test day 165+

Of course, I wasn't implying that submitting earlier would overcome any deficiencies in an application. :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”