Oct or Dec? Advice please!

Gemini198

Oct or Dec? Advice please!

Postby Gemini198 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Sorry if theres already a thread for questions about when to take the test, I couldn't find it and desperately need help/advice!

I am currently enrolled in a Testmasters prep course which started in August. I was hoping that I would feel totally prepared to take the test in October with roughly 2 and a half months of prep, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case, and needless to say im starting to freak out. I scored a 150 on my first daig, and am up to a 160 on my latest diagnostic, but really don't want to settle for anything less than a 170 on the real test. Theres less than a month till the Oct test and I doubt i'll be able to get a 10 pt increase in that time. I want to postpone my test till Dec, however, starting at the end of September I'll be back in school with a full schedule of classes (meaning lots of homework), leaving me with little time to study for the LSAT on a daily basis. I really don't know what to do, should I just take it in Oct. and see how it goes, or wait till Dec? Does it seem possible to get a 10 point increase by December despite not having a significant amount of time to study every day? Anyone else in a similar situation or any advice on how to manage studying for the LSAT's while in school? Anything would be appreciated!

g-children

Re: Oct or Dec? Advice please!

Postby g-children » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 am

Wow!! Sounds just like me. I am currently in a TM class too and thinking of the exact same thing! I think I'm gonna push for December though. I really want to get through all of the TM homework thereby exposing me to every single question ever published on the LSAT, the more I can get to do that the better I think I will do on the final test. Not sure yet though...lets see what the other TLS folks have to say...

My biggest problem is finding the time to study...I currently work fulltime and thats why I havent been able to get through all of the homework and/or diagnostics/prep tests. I wanted to know if I take it in December, will that lower my chances for scholarships? Thats my biggest reason for pushing for October because I hear the earlier you apply, the higher the chances of scholarships and/or financial aid...can anyone comment on this?

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Gemini198 wrote:Sorry if theres already a thread for questions about when to take the test, I couldn't find it and desperately need help/advice!

I am currently enrolled in a Testmasters prep course which started in August. I was hoping that I would feel totally prepared to take the test in October with roughly 2 and a half months of prep, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case, and needless to say im starting to freak out. I scored a 150 on my first daig, and am up to a 160 on my latest diagnostic, but really don't want to settle for anything less than a 170 on the real test. Theres less than a month till the Oct test and I doubt i'll be able to get a 10 pt increase in that time. I want to postpone my test till Dec, however, starting at the end of September I'll be back in school with a full schedule of classes (meaning lots of homework), leaving me with little time to study for the LSAT on a daily basis. I really don't know what to do, should I just take it in Oct. and see how it goes, or wait till Dec? Does it seem possible to get a 10 point increase by December despite not having a significant amount of time to study every day? Anyone else in a similar situation or any advice on how to manage studying for the LSAT's while in school? Anything would be appreciated!

If you have a full schedule of classes, I really doubt that you'll make up 10 points. I would advice you to study as much as possible, go for it in Oct and apply as soon as you get your LSAT results

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Same boat. Taking a testmasters class and currently scoring in the low 160's aiming for 167-170. Anyways i am debating between october and december as well. I think i am going to do both. Not sure yet. I am worried about my chances as a late applicant but have heard higher LSAT helps. IDK!

kmm2006

Postby kmm2006 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm stuck in the same situation! I've been taking TM since late July, and have seen some improvement, but have yet to reach my target score. Although I doubt my score will improve dramatically in three weeks, I am going to continue to prepare and take the test in October. Even if I end up having to retake in Dec, I think the experience of taking the test in October will be valuable.

As for applying later because of taking the December test, it seems as though scoring a few points (or more) higher on a late test is worth more than submitting apps early.

If anyone on TLS can offer more advice, I would also appreciate it. Thanks!

jacko

Postby jacko » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm in the same exact boat as the OP and I was wondering if anyone had some input on our dilemmas.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Don't take.

You probably won't hit a 170 on the October LSAT if you are stuck in the 160's currently. Especially if you have been studying for a while.

Gemini198

Postby Gemini198 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:47 am

This is such an annoying situation! Im leanings towards postponing till December because I feel like i'll be able to hit a 170 by then and will probably only score in the low 160's if I take it in Oct. I still have the same concerns as a few of the other posters though..mainly that the later you apply the less likely you are to get in/get money. Anyone know how true this really is? Im just hoping that my score will be high enough to offset any disadvantages a late app would have...thoughts or advice?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 am

Gemini198 wrote:This is such an annoying situation! Im leanings towards postponing till December because I feel like i'll be able to hit a 170 by then and will probably only score in the low 160's if I take it in Oct. I still have the same concerns as a few of the other posters though..mainly that the later you apply the less likely you are to get in/get money. Anyone know how true this really is? Im just hoping that my score will be high enough to offset any disadvantages a late app would have...thoughts or advice?

It is true.

But from your posts you say the minimum you can hit is a 170.

If you have never even hit a 170 on a practice test and you are averaging in the low 160's, then to ask for a minimum of 170 on test day is almost asking for a miracle.

If you can bring up your practice tests before test day though it's possible. Its up to you since there is still a couple of weeks before the test.

lawyeah

Postby lawyeah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 am

I'm actually registered to take it in october, but I am no where near ready for this monstrous test. Ideally, it would be great if I could postpone till December but I don't think my score will improve by then. I'm thinking about postponing to February 2011 then postponing again to June. That gives me time to focus on my hectic school schedule now and study for the lsat during my last semester of college when I'm not that busy. It's better to apply when your absolutely ready. People that say "it's okay to take the lsat now because you can always retake" are doing you a disservice. Why do it twice when you can do it properly the first time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”