Intimidation in LR.

paulshortys10

Intimidation in LR.

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 am

I've realized I'm bad at arguments that use formal logic, parallel, or any arguments that are long and try to confuse you. Most of the time i don't have the patience to concentrate on the long ones, and im not great at formal logic or long parallel passages. I've read the LRB on both of these, but they don't really help when dealing with huge and boring passages. ANy links or tips on how to deal with these?

whymeohgodno

Re: Intimidation in LR.

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 am

A lot of the long LR questions have tremendous irrelevant info.

It's hard to keep focus while reading it, but it helps if you can identify the conclusion and crucial links to the conclusion.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 am

whymeohgodno wrote:A lot of the long LR questions have tremendous irrelevant info.

It's hard to keep focus while reading it, but it helps if you can identify the conclusion and crucial links to the conclusion.

+1

I'm often amazed at how much of the text on the LSAT is completely irrelevant to finding correct answers.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:25 pm

any other tips?

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Make notes while you read. Be it by underlining or bracketing or whatever. I wouldn't have been able to get through the LR if I didn't do that. It helps to keep you reading actively, as well.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:44 pm

What others have said.

Also, practice as much as you can.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Parallel Reasoning never seemed to give me a problem. What I tried to do was treat it like an analogy, and substitute simple variables for the words/inputs. For example:

All dogs are vicious, and most things that are vicious are dangerous.

So I would say: All A's are B. And most B are C. Then I would try to apply this "equation" so to speak to the answer choices. Almost without even reading the actual words in the answers, I could usually match it up pretty quickly.

Maybe this is one of those things that only works for me, but give it a shot. For me, it cuts down on a lot of unnecessary words and information.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:59 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:any other tips?

You need to focus on getting better at breaking down and understanding arguments in terms of the structure of each and the method/flawed method of reasoning being employed to arrive at the conclusion. LSAT arguments repeat the same common set of reasoning patterns/structures test after test.

Once you've seen all the usual ones several times, made sure you understand them, gotten familiar with them, can recognize them again, etc. then things get much better and go much faster.

There is only a very small limited set of commonly repeated formal logic structures (aka syllogisms in logic land) that appear on the LSAT and are repeated over and over and over again. Learn them! You can actually list out all the staple LSAT formal logic structures LR problems are built around on one piece of paper.

As for paying attention to long winded boring arguments/passages, you just have to focus your attention and force yourself to care and be interested in it man!

Kinda like when you are out on a date with somebody you are just getting to know and she is a real 'talker'. You didn't ask about and really didn't want to know her entire family history, issues she has with her Ex, or about her cat in depth on the 3rd date. In fact you could care less and are bored by that stuff.

However, she started talking about them and for the sake of the date hopefully having a 'happy ending', since that stuff seems to be important to her you listen and fake interest so that you can respond reasonably when she stops and asks your opinion in order to score points and get her to think you really care.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Jeffort wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:any other tips?

she started talking about them and for the sake of the date hopefully having a 'happy ending', since that stuff seems to be important to her you listen and fake interest so that you can respond reasonably when she stops and asks your opinion in order to score points and get her to think you really care.

This is absolutely epic!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”