151 cold, but then strangeness.

MRsimon

151 cold, but then strangeness.

Postby MRsimon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am

So I took an LSAT prep test cold and scored a 151. I know that's not impressive, but my goal is to hit 160, so
I didn't think it was bad start. I enrolled in a locally offered course, started doing some prep, and took another exam. 149. Confused to say the least.

I'm a good test taker, and I'm used to getting a handle on tests quickly.

My basic question is this:Do you think the 160 goal is achievable, or am I destined for an average/slightly below average score. I'm absolutely committed to this, and will put in all the work. Just wondering peoples opinions.

Thanks
Last edited by MRsimon on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: 151 cold, but then strangeness.

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 am

Achievable.

Buy the LG powerscores bible and LR powerscores bible.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 am

Where did you miss the most questions?
Definitely attainable though. Don't worry about dropping, there is a lot of variance in how you will do from test to test and only after you have taken several will you see trends.

Above post is credited though, buy the Powerscore books.

MRsimon

Postby MRsimon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am

2014 wrote:Where did you miss the most questions?
Definitely attainable though. Don't worry about dropping, there is a lot of variance in how you will do from test to test and only after you have taken several will you see trends.

Above post is credited though, buy the Powerscore books.

I did terrible on the LG section of both tests. -13 on both. Wow.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:33 am

If you dedicate yourself to the techniques in the LG Bible, you will improve a ton. I haven't seen anyone yet who has mastered what the book has to teach and not managed to average more than 3-4 wrong per section.
That alone would get you in the vicinity of 160 and familiarity with the other types of questions from repetition will help push you over the top.

MRsimon

Postby MRsimon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks for your responses

So, after another week of prep, I'm finding my improvements to be slow coming. Took 3rd practice exam, and scored 151, again.

I think I'm allowing the idea of the test cloud my mind, rather than just focusing on the task itself. Sitting there taking the test, my mind always wanders about how I'm performing.

The course I'm taking, seems to be helping my overall understanding of the test, but I'm not seeing it on the test results. Hopefully it will come with time.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 am

My diag was 151 cold. I ended up with a PT average of 169 and a 166 on the real thing, albeit I took the damned test 3 times. For a more positive reference my best friend had a 147 cold and ended up with a 174. He took it twice, low 160s the first time. He also had a 3.9+ so life is good for him. Just 2 real-life references that its possible. Most LSAT prep course average a 10 point increase so, take that for what its worth.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:06 am

Very possible to get that score up. My cold diag was 152 and last Sept I got a 167. I would suggest getting away from PTs for a while until you learn all the fundamentals then go back and hone your test taking skills.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 pm

i was in the same boat as you. honestly, LG is your best chance at doing better. every game is defined by a set of rules and the answers are easily determinable once you map out the path. however, LR is just training yourself to think in a certain way which is very very difficult. it takes months and months of practice on LR questions for marginal improvement. i took a class also and i barely got any better at LR(in fact, the only way my class helped was making me practice so I could answer more questions). you will improve on RC by practicing more of them also. getting used to the material and the tone of the passages will be crucial. im sure in your daily life, you have not been reading about African poets, chemical processes, and astrological discoveries lol. expect to get better only by practice. RC & LG are your best chance though. don't count on the class to make you better, its all about practice.

also, dont read too much into the board here, it will discourage you based on your score. so many people here complain and get frustrated about 178s and 169s etc. etc. I was in your boat, 149 cold diagnostic, 148 2nd diagnostic, 150 3rd diagnostic then I sacked up, studied my ass off and got a 161-most improvement in the LG section. good luck. peace

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:54 pm

You say youre taking a a class, are you learning the fundamentals of the LSAT? You have to, have to learn how to do the questions before you start taking PT's on a regular basis. Dont take PT's when you dont know what the hell youre doing. Look at it this way, are you going to go out on a football field if you dont know how to catch a ball, run routes, block, etc etc? It wouldnt be wise to do that.

Get the fundamentals down. Learn the question types, learn how to attack them and then do PT's. I guarantee that if you learn this stuff you'll see that 160.

Good luck!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:05 pm

its normal to see a decrease or no increase from your cold diagnostic when you first start studying. Buy the bibles, read them and take notes, practice every day, and you will see improvement. Focus on accuracy now, and worry about speed and endurance later. ( if you study for 2-3 hours a night, you will increase your endurance without putting a lot more effort into it) For my first three pts after my diagnostic ( which i took after reading both bibles) my score went down 5 points, went back to the initial starting point, and then i gained a whole 2 points afterwords( up 2 from initial pt) Was it discouraging? Very much so. Did I worry about it? No, because the questions that i got right were the ones that i were practicing a lot. ( I didnt finish any section of the test either- i think i got to 15 LR, 2 games, and 2 and a half passages the rest i put B down without looking at them)... Now im finishing the sections on time, and seeing improvement with each prep test ( ive taken 10 since) and continuity with the ones that Im getting right. It been 3 months of hard work, but if you put yourself to the task, you will be successful

MRsimon

Postby MRsimon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 am

So I'm getting closer now to my goal of 160. I got a 158 on my latest practice exam, and it would have been much higher had I not completely bombed the RC section. If I would have gotten my average on the RC I would have scored a 161.

Thanks for the tips you guys gave.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 am

RC takes a lot more work and effort to grasp. I think you need to do at least 12 RC sections to understand the question types, get your passage strategy down ( including timing), and start to see an improvement. ITs very hard to change the way you read, especially if you tend to skim and read fast ( when you are reading for fun, or in a hurry). keep plugging away at it

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”