Strategy for Fighting Test Nervousness

cornell

Strategy for Fighting Test Nervousness

Postby cornell » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi everyone, I wanna start a thread to discuss some strategies for fighting test day nervousness. I think all of us suffer from test day nervousness to a certain degree. What do you guys do when you get nervous during a PT, especially when the proctor says "start"? It'll also be cool if someone who has taken a real LSAT could share the experience. Thanks.

St.Remy

Re: Strategy for Fighting Test Nervousness

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 pm

cornell wrote:Hi everyone, I wanna start a thread to discuss some strategies for fighting test day nervousness. I think all of us suffer from test day nervousness to a certain degree. What do you guys do when you get nervous during a PT, especially when the proctor says "start"? It'll also be cool if someone who has taken a real LSAT could share the experience. Thanks.

There really isn't anything that will completely calm your nerves the first time you take the real thing. I don't get shaken much by nerves, but even I had a moment during my actual logic games section when the proctor said five minutes. Just be sure that you bring everything that you could possibly need, since if you know you're prepared it will help to calm you down. Sweater, extra pencils, pencil sharpener, snack, analogue watch, tissues, blah blah blah. Other than that you just have to be prepared to take a deep breath in between sections and to plunge right back in.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 pm

St.Remy wrote:There really isn't anything that will completely calm your nerves the first time you take the real thing.

Drugs.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 pm

bk1 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:There really isn't anything that will completely calm your nerves the first time you take the real thing.

Drugs.

Yeh getting high right before the test could cure test anxiety. I'm not so sure it would help with the actual grades though.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:40 pm

not thoseee types of drugs

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:47 pm

Just keep going and know that eventhough u r nervous your accuracy has not changed.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Make sure you take a couple of PT's with someone else in the room, preferably also taking a PT. If you don't know anyone taking it in October, take one with someone working on something else. It stresses me out to be near other people when I'm doing PT's- the whole he-just-turned-the-page-omg-am-i-behind thing. Now, through practice, I've gotten used it.

Also, I like to suck on hard candy, usually peppermints when I'm nervous. It helps. Yeah, Freud would love it, but w/e.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:13 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Make sure you take a couple of PT's with someone else in the room, preferably also taking a PT. If you don't know anyone taking it in October, take one with someone working on something else. It stresses me out to be near other people when I'm doing PT's- the whole he-just-turned-the-page-omg-am-i-behind thing. Now, through practice, I've gotten used it.

Also, I like to suck on hard candy, usually peppermints when I'm nervous. It helps. Yeah, Freud would love it, but w/e.

Yeah, I've used LSAT Cacophony before, and at first, the sound of pencils skritching freaked me out to no end! Now I've decided just to tell myself that all those skritchers are on LG and so I don't need to be skritching as I'm on RC/LR... lol and then on LG my pencil will be going too so I won't care.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”