Is NOVA's Master the LSAT LG section riddled with mistakes? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
w.armstrong

New

Is NOVA's Master the LSAT LG section riddled with mistakes?

Post by w.armstrong » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 pm

I've just recently started studying for the LSAT and I'm working through several books to prepare, one of which is NOVA's Master the LSAT book. Logic games are my weak point so I've been going through the LG section very carefully and it seems, to me, that it contains a lot of mistakes or if not mistakes, omissions that that fail to explain why one answer is correct and another wrong. I would post examples, but I'm not sure if that's allowed, but I would like to hear if anyone else had these problems. Like I said, I'm not so good at LG so I could understand how the fault may be on me, but it really seems like there are some glaring errors in here.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Re: Is NOVA's Master the LSAT LG section riddled with mistakes?

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 am

Bump

DasBoot

New

Post by DasBoot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I started with NOVA when I first began studying back in June. It was a good starting point to get the general gist of what is going on, but the book is not a great reasource for in depth study. There is just too much to write about all three section types to try and cram it into one book.

If LG is your weak point there are two things that will do you the most good: Power Score LG Bible and a giant stack of practice tests. In fact, if you can only choose one of those two, go with the practice tests. I found that the only way for my accurracy and speed to improve was to practice actual questions every day, and if you have the LG Bible, then stop using NOVA altogether.

w.armstrong

New

Post by w.armstrong » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks. I do have the Logic Game Bible, though I haven't started with it yet. I'm not planning on taking the test any time soon, so I've plenty of time to practice.

As you point out, NOVA's guide seems a little broad, but what I'm really curious about is the logic games section; some of the explanations for the problems seem like they're blatantly incorrect. They'll say something can be x or y, then later they will say something is always x without any explanation. I can't tell if I'm missing something so obvious it doesn't bear stating (Which is entirely possible) or if the book is wrong.

Perhaps the the LG Bible will give me some insight on the matter.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 pm

w.armstrong wrote:Thanks. I do have the Logic Game Bible, though I haven't started with it yet. I'm not planning on taking the test any time soon, so I've plenty of time to practice.

As you point out, NOVA's guide seems a little broad, but what I'm really curious about is the logic games section; some of the explanations for the problems seem like they're blatantly incorrect. They'll say something can be x or y, then later they will say something is always x without any explanation. I can't tell if I'm missing something so obvious it doesn't bear stating (Which is entirely possible) or if the book is wrong.

Perhaps the the LG Bible will give me some insight on the matter.
If you're going to continue with self/book study, toss aside the Nova book and just use the Powerscore Bibles. They are way way way wayyyyyyyyyyy more in depth and comprehensive. The stuff in the Nova book is really old and barely scratches the surface basics.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Use NOVA for RC. Great book.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”