Taking Preptests when you really don't want to?

FlanAl

Taking Preptests when you really don't want to?

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:35 am

I wasn't really feeling up to taking a Preptest today. After the first section I knew I was blowing it and wouldn't be able to focus. I decided just to push through it in an attempt to keep trying to expose myself to test taking conditions. Would you guys recommend just stopping after I realize that I blew the first section and going over it fixing mistakes and building my confidence back up or just try to do my best to finish the test as a whole? I really wasn't focusing through the whole test but like to think that it at least kinda helped.

I plan on going through all the answers tomorrow thoroughly.

thanks for the help

Hedwig

Re: Taking Preptests when you really don't want to?

Postby Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:05 am

I was considering giving up during my last prep test and persevered and got a very nice score.

The thing is, on the real thing, you're not going to be able to get up and back away. You're going to have to do the rest of the sections (or cancel your score, but that's not an attractive option). So, if you're trying to simulate prep tests accurately, don't let yourself give up in the middle.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 am

I've finally gotten away from grading my first section after I KNOW I've blown it, and even of thinking about it at all. There were a few tests where I thought I had missed 6 possibly on an RC and ended up getting a -0, so I've found that it's really just not worth it to think about how you did on an individual section at all. All it can do is distract you from the next one if you think you blew it, or put added pressure on you if you think you're still perfect.

Plus, what Eit said. Imagine how you'll feel on the real thing if you think you blew the first section. I had what I thought was a terrible first LR section on the June LSAT (turns out it was a terrible one, -5), and I let it distract me for the rest of the test. Approach each section as if it's unrelated to your final score and just try to do as well on each one as you can.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:10 am

Agree with the above. You might be in the same situation on test day, and it's worth it to practice shaking it off and continuing full speed for the whole 5 sections, not letting the "shit I blew this" affecting you. And if you still get a good score in the end, that's a nice confident booster which helps when you encounter that feeling again.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:53 pm

if you think you blew a section, especially if its in the first 3 sections, remember that one of those will be the experimental. You wont know what the experiemental is until after section 5, so tell yourself that perhaps that one is it.

Even if that cant shake the nerves, i just tell myself to forget about it, and make up for the mistakes a little bit on each section. ( if you get just one more question right than you normally do on each of the next 4 sections, you will make up some points.) I like to think that i am just giving myself a handicap, and once i overcome it, i will have thrououghly dominated the test like the 1992 USA DREAM team dominated the rest of the world at the olympic games

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I've never wanted to take a PrepTest. I don't even really want to take the LSAT.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 am

Last night I was doing PT 17 (I'm mixing old one's in so I don't blow through 40-60) and I blew my experimental games section and felt like I was blowing the LG on the real thing, which was the 1st section on PT 17. I wanted to stop so badly because I felt like I couldn't focus. In the end, I got a 179 with a -4 overall. On one of my past 180s I thought I blew the test. I always recommend powering through and seeing what you can pull off. It is important to learn how to shake off a rough section. There may be a scary experimental section that rattles you on the real thing. It's important that you can put it out of your head and move on to the next section without the preceding section's anxiety getting the better of you. I had a friend who was so rattled after the games section on the June 2010 test that he blew the rest of it.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 am

hijodehombre wrote:I've never wanted to take a PrepTest. I don't even really want to take the LSAT.

+100000

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”