Grade 12 student looking into law school

jayn3

Re: Grade 12 student looking into law school

Postby jayn3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Duralex wrote:That is possibly one of the most unintentionally hilarious bookcase brag photos I've ever seen. The stack of what appears to be Nancy Drew is the capper.

itt i am reminded that volume of reading does not necessarily equate with quality of books read.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:41 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Duralex wrote:That is possibly one of the most unintentionally hilarious bookcase brag photos I've ever seen. The stack of what appears to be Nancy Drew is the capper.

itt i am reminded that volume of reading does not necessarily equate with quality of books read.

Lol. I'm amused at the book elitism here. Just because I've read Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and Twilight does not mean that's all I read. East of Eden, Jane Eyre, Wilkie Collins, Henry James, The Iliad, Kurt Vonnegut, etc, are all on my bookshelves as well. And not through assigned reading, either.

But whatever. I don't really want to start defending my choices of books because then it seems like I'm ashamed of what I read, and I'm really, really just... not. I read what I like because it's fun and interesting and I enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:50 pm

eit wrote:
jayn3 wrote:

Lol. I'm amused at the book elitism here. Just because I've read Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and Twilight does not mean that's all I read. East of Eden, Jane Eyre, Wilkie Collins, Henry James, The Iliad, Kurt Vonnegut, etc, are all on my bookshelves as well. And not through assigned reading, either.

But whatever. I don't really want to start defending my choices of books because then it seems like I'm ashamed of what I read, and I'm really, really just... not. I read what I like because it's fun and interesting and I enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Want to see my Dr. Seuss... collection? ;)

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:53 pm

eit wrote:
jayn3 wrote:

Hell no! I love your book selection. You dont want to see my little tiny collection. Mostly autobiographies and silly stuff. :mrgreen:

h3jk5h

Postby h3jk5h » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:38 pm

wow that's a lot of books, did you actually improve your reading comprehension by reading those over the years? what's your rc score?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 pm

h3jk5h wrote:wow that's a lot of books, did you actually improve your reading comprehension by reading those over the years? what's your rc score?

I'm pretty sure somebody that has read that much has built up their RC - and scores are not the end-all of a person's intellectuality.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:45 pm

As all have said, OP. Find a school that allows for over 4.0, get over a 4.0, and kill the LSAT. Then have fun at the T14.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:As all have said, OP. Find a school that allows for over 4.0, get over a 4.0, and kill the LSAT. Then have fun at the T14.

...until you can't find a JOOOOBBBB!!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129468

--ImageRemoved--

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 pm

h3jk5h wrote:wow that's a lot of books, did you actually improve your reading comprehension by reading those over the years? what's your rc score?

Her RC scores have been pretty nice. Her PT LSAT scores in general are awesome. She's been scoring in the mid 170's and shes gotten two 180's. Maybe reading a lot over the years is a necessary condition for doing well on the LSAT?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Probably. I do think that being a strong reader helps with the reading comprehension section. I'm also an English major, Greek and Roman studies minor, so I have a lot of reading assigned to me in addition to those books.

I usually get between -0 to -2, with a few -3 and -4 outliers in RC.

A lot of people recommend reading some sort of dense material like the Economist every day (during LSAT prep). I think if you read more frequently as well as read more for enjoyment, it might be easier to slowly work on your reading comprehension, especially considering you have such a long time to improve your skills in that area. Practice makes perfect, and all that.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 pm

FWIW, it was really the composition of the photo I found hilarious. It's not that I think the books themselves are really objectionable (except probably Twilight) but displaying those kinds of books on shelves (esp in the same bookcase as serious literature) amuses me. I'm probably an extremist though: I don't shelve any fiction in my study, with very few exceptions, and besides that tend to box up popular fiction paperbacks when done reading them. I wouldn't shelve Salvatore next to Shakespeare....

Anyway, I would suggest the New York Review of Books for LSAT RC prep. The topics are more varied than in the Economist and in my view the review format is closer to the typical LSAT passage than an Economist article.

http://www.nybooks.com/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”