The pros and cons of Feb 2011 test

spek

The pros and cons of Feb 2011 test

Postby spek » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I've been stalking the forum for a while and finally decided to ask a question I've been wondering about. I started studying this summer: did a diagnostic, took my time going through LGB and now I'm working on a Kaplan LG book (next I'll do the LRB). I'm entering my 3rd year and am planning on taking my LSAT in February. While I've read a lot of comments about avoiding that test date my school is on a quarter system and both the December and June tests are around my finals weeks. The idea of taking the LSAT while I'm stressed out about finals doesn't sound very appealing. My question is do the downfalls of the February test outweigh the pros of not taking the LSAT during my finals week? My biggest worry with the February test is that it's undisclosed--should I just work really hard and pray I don't need to re-take it?

ps. I also don't want to wait until next October to do it in case I need to re-take...don't want to have to worry about the time crunch.

Thanks!

Jeffort

Re: The pros and cons of Feb 2011 test

Postby Jeffort » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:19 pm

spek wrote:I've been stalking the forum for a while and finally decided to ask a question I've been wondering about. I started studying this summer: did a diagnostic, took my time going through LGB and now I'm working on a Kaplan LG book (next I'll do the LRB). I'm entering my 3rd year and am planning on taking my LSAT in February. While I've read a lot of comments about avoiding that test date my school is on a quarter system and both the December and June tests are around my finals weeks. The idea of taking the LSAT while I'm stressed out about finals doesn't sound very appealing. My question is do the downfalls of the February test outweigh the pros of not taking the LSAT during my finals week? My biggest worry with the February test is that it's undisclosed--should I just work really hard and pray I don't need to re-take it?

ps. I also don't want to wait until next October to do it in case I need to re-take...don't want to have to worry about the time crunch.

Thanks!

Toss aside and forget those concerns.

You are just starting as a 3rd year in UG, hence you are not applying to LS this cycle. The big detriment of the February test people freak out about is due to rolling admissions and deadlines when they are taking it for admission the fall of that same calendar year.

Given the time you have on your side before UG graduation I say CHILL a bit, you have no reason to rush into taking it soon unless you have been prepping your brains out and are getting into your prime state.

February being an undisclosed test form means nothing about and has no influence on your test day performance and resulting score.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:54 pm

The only disadvantage is that you can't go back and review your mistakes because of nondisclosure. However, if you prepare well enough then hopefully you will get the score that you want and won't have an OCD urge to see exactly what you did wrong because you are content with your results.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 pm

spek wrote: My school is on a quarter system and both the December and June tests are around my finals weeks. The idea of taking the LSAT while I'm stressed out about finals doesn't sound very appealing.

My school is also on the quarters system so my LSAT did indeed fall smack in the middle of my finals week. Honestly I don't feel that it negatively effected my score, since studying for other things kept my mind geared up. It also meant that after the test was done I had other things to do, so I didn't sit around stressing over the test and imagining all the questions that I might have gotten wrong.

Would I recommend taking the LSAT on a date that overlapped with finals? Of course not, but if it occurs then chances are it won't be that big of a deal. Just my $0.02

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”