Sudden LR regression

Sudden LR regression

Postby kpuc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 pm

For some reason, my LR seems to have regressed. On PrepTest 19, 20, 21, I had minimized my mistakes to between 0 and 4, which was where I wanted to be.

I then stopped using the books and started on the individual PrepTests. I expected some trouble in RC, which everybody said got harder. But it seems to be LR that's causing me problems.

I just took PrepTest 49, 50, and 51, and my total LR scores have been -5, -8, and -11 respectively. My 6 latest practice tests have been: 177, 175, 175, 172, 167, 168.

At this point, with only a month to go, I don't know whether I need to take a mental vacation from the LSAT, or I should just keep chugging along with practice tests.

The strange thing is that LR is the section least affected by the new tests, right? I've been quite stable in LG and RC, successfully adapting to the new changes. But the new LR seems to be making the most negative impact. I don't even know if there are any real changes. Am I just in a LSAT funk right now?

I'm thinking I need to take a break and get my mind off things.

Re: Sudden LR regression

Postby gerbal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Review your problems and get more familiar with the wording, answer choices. It might have to do with the way questions are phrased as I found them to be somewhat different. I'm throwing in the older LR sections (pt17, 18) as experimentals while I do PTs in the 50s. Personally I'm finding the older LRs much more difficult and I think this is because of the way the questions are phrased, so I think if you get used to the way things are now, you'll do better.

Re: Sudden LR regression

Postby mst » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Take a few days off. Yeah, there are point differences between tests, and people go down as they adjust to new strategies... but seriously, 10 points drop off on avg. either means you're burning out or you just weren't testing right (time accountability, etc.) Take a gosh darn break.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”