Is 1 month enough time?

lawyeah

Is 1 month enough time?

Postby lawyeah » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

I registered for the October LSAT but haven't done nearly enough studying. If I start now and study intensively, is it possible for me to score in the low 170s? My goal is a 173. Or.. should I change my test date to December? If I do that, how will admissions committee view my application? Is it frowned upon? Also, will my chances still be okay if i apply so late during the cycle (if i take the dec. lsat)? Will the 170+ make up for a late app?

I've heard stories on TLS where people have jumped significantly in their lsat score. I'm ready to buckle down and study till I drop. I really really want to go to either Columbia or NYU. Also, my gpa is 3.69 ... hopefully will be 3.73 after fall semester.

lparker

Re: Is 1 month enough time?

Postby lparker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Have you taken a practice test yet? I think it would depend heavily on your PT score.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Need to know a diagnostic score.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:41 pm

do you have a job or can you study full time? I improved a whole lot over a week (maybe less than a week) by doing drills and practicing strategies for about 7 hours a day. I hope I improve a lot more over the next few weeks but. Have you done a practice test or taken any timed sections?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:41 pm

The answer is.... adult diapers. (depends, I know bad joke)

But seriously for most people, No, not nearly. But if you, without prep, were scoring upper 160's then maybe.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Breaking 170/hitting 173 with only one month of prep is a big, unrealistic long shot unless you started at and can currently score somewhere at least in the mid to low 160's now on a timed practice test.

As already said, it all depends on what scores you are able to achieve now when taking timed practice tests. If you are scoring anywhere below 160 at this point and just thinking about getting ready for the October test, a 170+ goal is unrealistic.

Applying with a December score is not detrimental to your admission chances if waiting until December will allow you time to be able to score at least 3 or more points higher than you would taking the October test. Schools do not make any negative judgments about your application because your LSAT score is from a December test.

Applying early certainly gives you an advantage with rolling admissions if your LSAT score is in the index range of accepted students at your preferred LS's.

To have a fighting chance at Columbia or NYU you are certainly going to need a pretty high LSAT score.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Yep, totally depends on where you started. This is kind of a dumb question without that information since for some people, no amount of time can launch them into the 170s.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”