PT 48 Section 1 Question 20

Anaconda

PT 48 Section 1 Question 20

Postby Anaconda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 am

Can anyone break down the answer choice - more specifically D and E. This one is really hard in my opinion. Can't seem to visualize how is E is negative how that would damage the conclusion of the stimulus. Doesn't the stimulus say that if the illness is CAUSED by stress, only a reduction of stress can make it better. So how does that mean medicine couldn't reduce stress in illnesses not caused by stress?

Hannibal

Re: PT 48 Section 1 Question 20

Postby Hannibal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:44 am

The assumption is based on the existence of useful blood pressure medicines. Since these medicines prove to reduce blood pressure, there are two options since stress related pressure can only be treated by reduction: some high blood pressure conditions don't revolve around stress, or some medicines themselves reduce stress.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 am

Hannibal wrote:The assumption is based on the existence of useful blood pressure medicines. Since these medicines prove to reduce blood pressure, there are two options since stress related pressure can only be treated by reduction: some high blood pressure conditions don't revolve around stress, or some medicines themselves reduce stress.

How does that get us to E? If I'm reading correctly, you kind of wrote a plausible road for choosing D?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 am

Anaconda wrote:
Hannibal wrote:The assumption is based on the existence of useful blood pressure medicines. Since these medicines prove to reduce blood pressure, there are two options since stress related pressure can only be treated by reduction: some high blood pressure conditions don't revolve around stress, or some medicines themselves reduce stress.

How does that get us to E? If I'm reading correctly, you kind of wrote a plausible road for choosing D?

The problem with D is itself assumes that the medicines do not reduce stress, or that stress reduction couldn't cure blood pressure conditions not caused by high stress. It's not a requirement of the answer.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:55 am

Hannibal wrote:
Anaconda wrote:

The problem with D is itself assumes that the medicines do not reduce stress, or that stress reduction couldn't cure blood pressure conditions not caused by high stress. It's not a requirement of the answer.

It might be because I'm ready to pass out, but I just can't conceptualize D and E in layman's terms. Thinking it in a convoluted manner makes me more and more confused each time I look at the question.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 am

I took this today got 20 right, my assumptions have been getting pretty reliable.

The key phrases for me were "Any illness caused by stress is treatable only by reduction of stress"

When E negated it most clearly attacks this premise, "Medicine used to treat high blood pressure reduces stress"

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 am

Can't medicine and illnesses caused by stress BOTH reduce stress? What in the stimulus prevents this? That's why I'm confused.

Can someone diagram this one?

reallyemo

Postby reallyemo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:05 am

The stimulus states that any illness caused by stress is treatable ONLY by the reduction of stress.

In the first line it says that some cases of high blood pressure can be treated effectively with medicine. Since in these cases the hbp can be treated with medicine, then the argument concludes that these some cases of hbp must not be caused by stress because if they were, then the ONLY treatment would be the reduction of stress (but we used medicine). So, they are seeing the medicine and the reduction of stress as two different treatments to these cases of hbp. Remember, they stated that if an illness is caused by stressed, it is treatable ONLY by the reduction of stress. Thus they conclude that because you can use medicine to treat these some cases of hbp, then you are not using the reduction of stress to treat them. Thus, they are assuming that the medicine doesn't reduce stress. If medicine DID reduce stress, then their conclusion (that these some cases of hbp must not be caused by stress) would be inaccurate, because then it would be possible that the medicine reduced their stress and thus it's possible that these some cases were then actually caused by stress.

I didn't really use diagrams when I thought of it, but I can provide them if this doesn't make sense still.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”