LR questions that your brain just struggles to comprehend

sangr

LR questions that your brain just struggles to comprehend

Postby sangr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 pm

what do u guys do about those few (or many)LR questions for which you check, but you dont REALLY understand it.

I especially mean the ones where you somehow get an explanation for, but in the back of your mind you know that you know it only because you heard the explanation, and it would confuse the hell outta you if you had to go thru it again.

I dont really know how to put it in words, but im sure a lot of you can relate to me.
whats your method?

cowgirl_bebop

Re: LR questions that your brain just struggles to comprehend

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I blaze through the LR section. I usually finish with about 5+ minutes left, and miss anywhere from 2-0. With my extra time I just go back and rethink the questions I struggled with. I mark them as I go along and come back to them later with a fresh perspective. Sometimes its a matter of the argument "clicking" when you think about it a second time.

Other than that, I practice practice practice until I just get used to those types of questions. Sometimes narrowing it down to 2 possible ACs and figuring out the difference between the 2 is all you can do.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 pm

sangr wrote:what do u guys do about those few (or many)LR questions for which you check, but you dont REALLY understand it.

I especially mean the ones where you somehow get an explanation for, but in the back of your mind you know that you know it only because you heard the explanation, and it would confuse the hell outta you if you had to go thru it again.

I dont really know how to put it in words, but im sure a lot of you can relate to me.
whats your method?

Try to figure out with each of those what the particular factors were that confused you/caused you to have trouble or pick the trap answer, etc.

If you spend time itemizing those things during review you should notice and be able to identify a set of common mistakes you keep making so you can home in on and fine tune them to fix your weaknesses/mistakes. Your error pattern is never totally random if you are really trying and making progress to improve your score.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I blaze through the LR section. I usually finish with about 5+ minutes left, and miss anywhere from 2-0. With my extra time I just go back and rethink the questions I struggled with. I mark them as I go along and come back to them later with a fresh perspective. Sometimes its a matter of the argument "clicking" when you think about it a second time.

Other than that, I practice practice practice until I just get used to those types of questions. Sometimes narrowing it down to 2 possible ACs and figuring out the difference between the 2 is all you can do.

Ha! Nice way to show off. Telling OP that you breeze through the section with 5 minutes to spare doesnt help.

OP, I know the kinds of questions youre referring to. Those ones that just make no sense whatsoever and it seems like either all of them are correct or none of them are correct. Whats worked for me has been using process of elimination. Pay attention to the scope, understand what kind of question it is (strengthen, weaken, assumption, etc etc) and work from there. If all else fails, pick D and hope for the best.

Good luck!

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Skip it then come back to it at the end.

When I come back to them again, I read it once more fresh. If it still doesn't make any sense, I usually just try to approach it mechanistically. For example, if there's a term not used except for the conclusion and its an assumption question- I'll guess among the choices which include both that term and one of the premises.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 am

gdane5 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:I blaze through the LR section. I usually finish with about 5+ minutes left, and miss anywhere from 2-0. With my extra time I just go back and rethink the questions I struggled with. I mark them as I go along and come back to them later with a fresh perspective. Sometimes its a matter of the argument "clicking" when you think about it a second time.

Ha! Nice way to show off. Telling OP that you breeze through the section with 5 minutes to spare doesnt help.

It doesnt? Hmmm... I never saw him/her say how close to 35 minutes they were using. Did you? Guess I missed that part [/sarcasm]

If they have extra time, I gave them a suggestion for a productive way to use it, be it 5 minutes or 30 seconds. If you skip, finish the ones you know and go back. It's a method that worked for me and actually ENABLED me to spend less time per question; they'll burn less time waffling between 2-3 ACs and can move on.

Nice try tho...

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 pm

I sit and stare at the question. I re-read the stimulus about 8 times. Then I re-read each answer choice, fully crossing out answer choices only when I'm certain they're wrong. Then you just sort of try to find the difference between the two.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”