LSAT/Admissions Flowchart Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT Blog

Silver

LSAT/Admissions Flowchart

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Someone linked to this flowchart on AboveTheLaw. Think some folks here will find it amusing. Enjoy.

--ImageRemoved--

Jeffort

Gold

Re: LSAT/Admissions Flowchart

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Ok, that's funny in part, except for the blatant racism. Instead of Asians the creator could have picked any race that is not a minority of LSAT takers and LS applicants, including Caucasians and Middle Easterns and it would be pretty much the same thing.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:07 pm

good catch. hadn't read that part closely. thought they were just making some kind of comment on the impact of affirmative action. the rest of it's pretty amusing, though.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:09 pm

It's been posted here many times without problem. It does say "Asian or White."

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:12 pm

this thing is not only hilarious but speaks COMPLETE truth. Having said that............guess I better get going on my app to Ronald's Kingdom
Last edited by hokie on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm

bk187 wrote:It's been posted here many times without problem. It does say "Asian or White."
Ehh, yeah sure, cuz it was tolerated before it is Kosher. I don't think you really want to try and go down that path of argument...
I'll try to save you and a bunch of other people trouble and try to prevent this thread from becoming a many pager by pointing out Godwin's law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

I don't get what you're saying. You said it was racist because it said Asians and not Caucasians or Middle Easterners because Asians are a minority of applicants/LSAT takers. It does say Whites, which includes Caucasians/Middle Easterners. And how does being a minority versus a majority make it any more or less racist?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Jeffort wrote:Ok, that's funny in part, except for the blatant racism. Instead of Asians the creator could have picked any race that is not a minority of LSAT takers and LS applicants, including Caucasians and Middle Easterns and it would be pretty much the same thing.
Hmm? All it says is "Whites and Asians"... not that controversial... I mean those are the main groups without any part having a URM boost.

you want it to say "Whites and Caucasians"?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Hilarious and true (to a degree).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 pm

bk187 wrote:I don't get what you're saying. You said it was racist because it said Asians and not Caucasians or Middle Easterners because Asians are a minority of applicants/LSAT takers. It does say Whites, which includes Caucasians/Middle Easterners. And how does being a minority versus a majority make it any more or less racist?
Whatever...

How about: I thought the inclusion of race as a major factor in the flow chart to be in very very bad taste. It certainly doesn't add anything funny to it, which seems to be the point of the whole thing. People are sensitive to such things and do get offended by it.

I wonder how that Pastor in Florida that is pushing for a Koran burning day is doing today.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Jeffort wrote:
bk187 wrote:I don't get what you're saying. You said it was racist because it said Asians and not Caucasians or Middle Easterners because Asians are a minority of applicants/LSAT takers. It does say Whites, which includes Caucasians/Middle Easterners. And how does being a minority versus a majority make it any more or less racist?
Whatever...

How about: I thought the inclusion of race as a major factor in the flow chart to be in very very bad taste. It certainly doesn't add anything funny to it, which seems to be the point of the whole thing.
It is funny because being a URM means you can get into better law schools with shitter grades?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Jeffort wrote:
bk187 wrote:It's been posted here many times without problem. It does say "Asian or White."
Ehh, yeah sure, cuz it was tolerated before it is Kosher. I don't think you really want to try and go down that path of argument...
I'll try to save you and a bunch of other people trouble and try to prevent this thread from becoming a many pager by pointing out Godwin's law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Looks like you just heard of Godwin's law and really wanted to drop it here.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Jeffort wrote:Whatever...

How about: I thought the inclusion of race as a major factor in the flow chart to be in very very bad taste. It certainly doesn't add anything funny to it, which seems to be the point of the whole thing.
It adds accuracy. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:52 pm

bk187 wrote:

Also if you think racism "doesn't add funny" you obviously haven't been on something called THE FUCKING INTERNET.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Whatever...

what? race is a major element in the admissions process--it's basically the only thing other than GPA and LSAT that has any measurable effect on admission across the board. this chart just captures this. stop being a whiny little sensitive bitch.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Also if you think racism "doesn't add funny" you obviously haven't been on something called THE FUCKING INTERNET.
I don't think racism is funny or is a necessary element for funny, internet or not. Granted, I don't think and am not saying that the flow chart is super racist/bigoted or whatever. I simply pointed out that it started off with something somewhat racist that caught my attention and that certainly may bother others. What's the problem with that?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Totally unrelated but omg. You are back on the internetz, Jeffort! I was an active poster on your site.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Jeffort wrote:How about: I thought the inclusion of race as a major factor in the flow chart to be in very very bad taste. It certainly doesn't add anything funny to it, which seems to be the point of the whole thing. People are sensitive to such things and do get offended by it.

I wonder how that Pastor in Florida that is pushing for a Koran burning day is doing today.
Completely outlandish comparison to make.

Also, it starts with a decently accurate "claim" about law school admissions, no?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Jeffort wrote:Ok, that's funny in part, except for the blatant racism. Instead of Asians the creator could have picked any race that is not a minority of LSAT takers and LS applicants, including Caucasians and Middle Easterns and it would be pretty much the same thing.

What? Middle Easterners are asian..... Near East is another word for it as opposed to the Far East, all being asian. You would be racist, i guess, for assuming he only meant slanted eyes, and i would be racist for pointing out an identifiable physical characteristic that distinguishes them. If you wanted the creator to be more accurate then the only non-boosting people he doesn't mention is certain south americans.
side note: Indians(south asians) are as aryan as europeans, and the generic term white applies to everyone from Morocco to Nepal (apart from negro africans.)
Last edited by sophia.olive on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Jeffort wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
bk187 wrote:

I don't think racism is funny or is a necessary element for funny, internet or not. Granted, I don't think and am not saying that the flow chart is super racist/bigoted or whatever. I simply pointed out that it started off with something somewhat racist that caught my attention and that certainly may bother others. What's the problem with that?
Problem is, if you think talking about affirmative action is racist, you're a fucking moron.

Also racism is hilarious. Only if done correctly and on the internet of course.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

How about: I thought the inclusion of race as a major factor in the flow chart to be in very very bad taste. It certainly doesn't add anything funny to it, which seems to be the point of the whole thing. People are sensitive to such things and do get offended by it.

This is complete bullshit. No one is taking shots at any race; it's just a fact of the admissions process that blacks, native Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans have a much better chance of admission. Take those away from "everybody" and what is left?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Jeffort wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
bk187 wrote:

TITCR. It's obviously a sufficient condition :roll:

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Unemployed wrote:Totally unrelated but omg. You are back on the internetz, Jeffort! I was an active poster on your site.
Yeah, after using the Stargates to travel and explore other worlds I managed to make it back home after a while...

Hmm, your user name causes me some concern. Last I checked pretty much all of the previous group of regulars from that time that wanted it got into and are either now starting 3L or recently graduated from LS.

Give me a tiny detail or two and let's see if I can remember you!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Totally unrelated but omg. You are back on the internetz, Jeffort! I was an active poster on your site.
Yeah, after using the Stargates to travel and explore other worlds I managed to make it back home after a while...

Hmm, your user name causes me some concern. Last I checked pretty much all of the previous group of regulars from that time that wanted it got into and are either now starting 3L or recently graduated from LS.

Give me a tiny detail or two and let's see if I can remember you!
I was unemployed before law school. I'm doing ok now. Also, see PM!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

This is complete bullshit. No one is taking shots at any race; it's just a fact of the admissions process that blacks, native Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans have a much better chance of admission. Take those away from "everybody" and what is left?
Right, the flowchart doesn't seem to have been intended to take pot-shots at any given race, but instead seems to have been intended to be funny by pointing out the difficulties of admissions and future J.D. career prospects based on many other reality factors. I found most of it to be pretty funny with all that, especially with a lot of it leading to McDonalds. As I said in other words, including racial classification as a major cross roads in that flow of possibilities, given the thing was not about affirmative action, comes off as racist and kinda ruined it, at least for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”