LSAT Proctor App, are you kidding..

arean.ryan

LSAT Proctor App, are you kidding..

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

This app is terrible, I seriously doubt that within a 35 minute period my TS will go from the tropical rain forest to a fly infested zoo and include people who yell before they sneeze and cough like they have the black lung. Does anyone know any realistic Proctor apps?

zephyr36

Re: LSAT Proctor App, are you kidding..

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:58 pm

I think the point is to exaggerate the actual conditions you'll face on the real test, so that they seem less distracting in comparison.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I think the point is to exaggerate the actual conditions you'll face on the real test, so that they seem less distracting in comparison.

I don't see the merit in this - while its true you *could* eventually build up your resistance to combat extreme noise/distraction , to me it seems like all it is doing is making you lose concentration and missing more questions and wasting your PT. PTs should be simulating testing conditions so you can build upon them. Say you spend 2 months using extreme distractions to the point where you are finally comfortable with them... you just wasted 2 months missing questions on PTs and not being able to build upon the experience of taking them. Just my opinion.

allison34363

Postby allison34363 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:12 pm

LSAT Proctor DVD http://www.simugator.com/lsat-prep.html is the best, but there are also other free ones like the App out there.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I think the point is to exaggerate the actual conditions you'll face on the real test, so that they seem less distracting in comparison.

+1, that's why I took all my practice tests hanging upside down like a vampire bat.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm

i take my PTs while watching the 700 club

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

+1, that's why I took all my practice tests hanging upside down like a vampire bat.

+2 Take a shot of bourbon and spin yourself dizzy with your forehead on the end of a baseball bat before every PT.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm

I agree with Sandro.

It seems too extreme. Its ok to try and simulate things that COULD happen, but to always work in environments that resemble monsoons is counterproductive. Worry about doing well on the test. After a certain point, very few distractions, if any, will really have a negative effect on your score.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:43 pm

gdane5 wrote:I agree with Sandro.

It seems too extreme. Its ok to try and simulate things that COULD happen, but to always work in environments that resemble monsoons is counterproductive. Worry about doing well on the test. After a certain point, very few distractions, if any, will really have a negative effect on your score.

Eh, when I took the LSAT, we took it in a ghetto room during finals week of a college, and since it was hot the proctors wanted to leave the door wide open, even though I asked them to shut the door. So basically I had to deal with lots of people walking and talking, and during the 5th section some band or music playing not too far off in the distance. The music was loud enough that the proctors came over (during the middle of the 5th section), interrupted a girl taking the test who was in front of the door, got her to get up and moved her desk away from the door, then shut the door, then give her an extra couple of minutes to finish that section. Not to mention I was situated next to the main walkway of the classroom, and the proctors kept walking back and forth between the two rooms, which kind of pissed me off. Sit still damnit!

I haven't used that LSAT proctor app, but I have to say that i'm pretty glad I took the majority of PT's in my library, albeit on the supposed quiet floor, but there was usually enough people walking around and talking that I got used to the distractions. I ended up having my best section during the worst distractions (-0) on section 5.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I think for the most part your experiences are the exception, not the rule. Most people have good experiences. LSAC wants to keep things controlled otherwise they run the risk of people bitching that the noise bothered them and demanding the test be nullified.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:45 pm

gdane5 wrote:I think for the most part your experiences are the exception, not the rule. Most people have good experiences. LSAC wants to keep things controlled otherwise they run the risk of people bitching that the noise bothered them and demanding the test be nullified.

For sure, and none of my experiences were like what the OP described the app as (coughing, wheezing, etc.). I would say just get used to taking the test near other people who may be moving out and about and may be talking.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Knockglock wrote:
gdane5 wrote:I think for the most part your experiences are the exception, not the rule. Most people have good experiences. LSAC wants to keep things controlled otherwise they run the risk of people bitching that the noise bothered them and demanding the test be nullified.

For sure, and none of my experiences were like what the OP described the app as (coughing, wheezing, etc.). I would say just get used to taking the test near other people who may be moving out and about and may be talking.

Definitely. I have to put up with my momma vacuuming and cleaning, the phone ringing, my cats rubbing up on my leg.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, it's distracting, so it serves it's purpose I think.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 pm

arean.ryan wrote:I seriously doubt that within a 35 minute period my TS will go from the tropical rain forest to a fly infested zoo and include people who yell before they sneeze and cough like they have the black lung.

Not sure which program you're referring to, but if it's the LSAT Cacophony MP3, then +1 to this. Every six or seven minutes someone lets out a deep, sexual moan ("OOAAAHHH!") that cracks me up.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm

during my LSAT someone across the way on campus started playing their trumpet, very loud. lol. I get the whole blocking out distractions. Take the test in a quiet coffee shop, you will have people moving, not too loud of noises etc. But to simulate armageddon just seems silly. and if you have the test down and its like a routine for you, that will help block out some distractions. But having music so loud you cant hear yourself think isnt productive IMO.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Sandro777 wrote:during my LSAT someone across the way on campus started playing their trumpet, very loud. lol. I get the whole blocking out distractions. Take the test in a quiet coffee shop, you will have people moving, not too loud of noises etc. But to simulate armageddon just seems silly. and if you have the test down and its like a routine for you, that will help block out some distractions. But having music so loud you cant hear yourself think isnt productive IMO.

You could turn down the volume...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”