WOO!!! (but LR?) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Blindc1rca

Bronze

WOO!!! (but LR?)

Post by Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Every one of my last five PTs has been between 170 and 173. This makes me happy. I started studying a month ago and my cold diagnostic was a 165. I realize this is a small jump, but it's still a jump! And a relatively consistent one!

Unfortunately it is exclusively a result of an improvement in logic games. On my diagnostic I went -9 on LG, on my last five tests I've gone -3, -2, -1, -0 I kid you not. RC is pretty consistently -0 to -2 (although every once in a while I get upset by a -4).

This brings me to the impetus for this post:
My logical reasoning is the most iffy factor. Most of the time I miss between 1 and 4 on an LR section, but every once in a while I go -6. I tend to be -5 to -8 per test when both sections are taken into account. My failures are usually inference, assumption, weaken or flaw problems, although every once in a while I get bogged down by a wordy parallel reasoning problem and just give up for the sake of moving on.

What can I do to be more consistent? I'm taking the October test, so I realize that my time is limited, but I feel like if I can just chop off maybe two LR errors per test, I can rest more assured that I'll be 170+ on test day.

Also, I live in a developing nation, so getting my hands on any materials that are not available for download would be impossible. For Logical Reasoning all I have is the LR bible and my practice tests. I hear Cambridge is good, but I'm not sure which package would be best.

Any advice on packages or methods would be greatly appreciated.

gdane

Diamond

Re: WOO!!! (but LR?)

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:34 pm

If you cant get anything else the LR should be good enough. That book has so many useful things.

Youre a naturally high scorer which means you dont have much to "learn". At this point its all about practice and picking up on the little nuances and patterns that are present in every test. Youll be ok.

Good luck!

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm

gdane5 wrote:If you cant get anything else the LR should be good enough. That book has so many useful things.

Youre a naturally high scorer which means you dont have much to "learn". At this point its all about practice and picking up on the little nuances and patterns that are present in every test. Youll be ok.

Good luck!
Thanks. Should I invest in Cambridge's "Difficult Questions" for LR? Or should I just keep doing PTs and going over my errors and the corresponding sections in the LRB?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:
gdane5 wrote:If you cant get anything else the LR should be good enough. That book has so many useful things.

Good luck!
Thanks. Should I invest in Cambridge's "Difficult Questions" for LR? Or should I just keep doing PTs and going over my errors and the corresponding sections in the LRB?
Definitly get the Cambridge book. Go over the logical reasoning bible, learn the techniques for answering all the different question types and then practice with the Cambridge book. After that, apply that practice to practice tests. Keep in mind though that these cambridge questions come from past LSAT's so you might come across the same questions. Its ok though. The point is to improve.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I've already gone over the LRB, that's why I asked about the cambridge book. I'm wondering if the "by type" cambridge book might be better to download.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:I've already gone over the LRB, that's why I asked about the cambridge book. I'm wondering if the "by type" cambridge book might be better to download.
Definitely. Definitely. By type is the best way to do it because then you can work with specific questions and target specific problems.

rjh456

New

Post by rjh456 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

the thing that's helped me the most with coming up in LR is recognizing overused question types or question patterns immediately. i think LR is just like games in that once you get really comfortable with the things that come up time and time again, you can fly through those questions and save more time for the monsters. a lot of times now after i read the stimulus i know immediately what the answer is going to be, because I've seen it a thousand times before.

the LRB is really useful and cambridgelsat's products are awesome too. going through their formal logic pack was great for getting really comfortable with conditionals. i've just downloaded the hardest problems now, so I can't personally attest to its usefulness, but I've heard good things. At the end of the day though, its just a matter of going through reams and reams of timed sections and then seriously reviewing every answer you A - missed or B - got right but you weren't entirely confident.

if timing is a factor for you getting 10 questions in 10 minutes, and then 15 questions in 15 minutes is commonly suggested on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”