Old vs New PT's Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thatjuanguy

New

Old vs New PT's

Post by thatjuanguy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 pm

I am considering a retake in October and have to decide which tests to focus on.

Its seems like the sentiment that I read on the boards is to focus on the newer preptests(from 40 and on), why is that?

Would doing older one's uniquely put me at a disadvantage? The reason I ask is I already have the older ones so would have to buy the newer ones... Thanks.

St.Remy

Silver

Re: Old vs New PT's

Post by St.Remy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:07 am

thatjuanguy wrote:I am considering a retake in October and have to decide which tests to focus on.

Its seems like the sentiment that I read on the boards is to focus on the newer preptests(from 40 and on), why is that?

Would doing older one's uniquely put me at a disadvantage? The reason I ask is I already have the older ones so would have to buy the newer ones... Thanks.
Doing the more recent PTs gives a better grasp on the typical games which you'll likely get on test day. Also it's generally agreed that RC has gotten far harder on recent tests than it used to be. Since RC is the least learnable section the test makers have been upping its difficulty in response to the growing number of students who have used prep classes and books to "learn" the test. Also curves are generally a bit less generous on recent tests, so accuracy becomes even further emphasized.

Beyond these changes there are many more minor differences between old and new tests, and this is why you should really focus on tests 40+ if you have to choose. Older tests will be helpful to you, but probably not as helpful. On the actual test you will want things to feel as familiar as possible: this is accomplished best by having done the tests that LSAC produced only a few months ago and not 7+ years ago.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:18 am

Honestly, my typically response to this question is "How much time do you have left to the test?"

If you have a couple months, just do all of them. Sure, the test has changed, but not that much. PT's 1-30 are odd, but they certainly know how to tear your mind up for 3 hours straight, just like the new ones. This is really what matters come test day when distraction douglas starts coughing and sad susie starts crying, and you are ignoring them like a champ because you have done so many PT's that at this point it's like breathing.

Regardless, come the 2 weeks before the test, or last 5-10 Preptests that you do (depending on your schedule), switch over to the recent tests that you have left (save like 50-60 for this). This way you can get in the right mood. LG's are completely different from what they were 10 years ago. LR is basically the same. RC is harder a bit, but really it's just luck of the draw.

lyman03

New

Post by lyman03 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:00 am

Does anyone know if the more recent tests (after #38) can be bought in groups of 10 like the older ones? Or do you just have to purchase them individually? I don't have any of the 40s or 50s tests and would like to practice on those.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:25 am

lyman03 wrote:Does anyone know if the more recent tests (after #38) can be bought in groups of 10 like the older ones? Or do you just have to purchase them individually? I don't have any of the 40s or 50s tests and would like to practice on those.
They have to be bought individually, unless you buy them off craigslist, ebay or friends.

OP, you might want to consider taking in December as well. You should be aiming for the best score possible, and since there is not much time left to study, especially if you have work or school (forget it if both), it is doubtful that you will do your best. I'm not taking any tests from before "Next 10" (PT 29), and have noticed a few of the changes just between the beginning of that set and the last. Like the other guy said, RC has gotten harder, LR is harder as well, while LG has become easier. Not doing the more recent ones will most likely throw you off in a real bad way (except perhaps for LG).

Have you read the LG and LR bibles? If not, then that is the first thing you have to do, and you will not get anywhere near your highest possible score by October.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:05 pm

If you are not going to do/cannot do all the available PrepTests, favor the more recent ones from the last 5+ years. They are slightly different stylistically, which is something you want to get used to come test day. Plus there are differences in terms of much less forgiving score conversion charts, slightly more difficult RC (along with the recent RC change giving you one comparative reading passage), and the games are much more consistent with the usual types and variations popping up over and over with less weirdo-odd ball games like you find in many tests from the early to mid 1990's.

Realistically though, if you want to max out your score and prep as best as you possibly can, you should get and do them all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”