PT40 just killed, am now dead

JesusChrist

PT40 just killed, am now dead

Postby JesusChrist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:35 am

I just took PT 40 and got a 155 or something stupid like that. Just 2 days ago I got a 170 on PT 7 that I felt great with. WTH is going on? I mean, today was labor day so I relaxed mostly, I got most of my to-do list done so I felt really good about that, ate a good dinner (salmon and broccoli), relaxed just before the test and just BOMBED it. As I was taking the test, and as I finished, I felt incredibly good about the chances.

In fact, that afternoon, I did the LG from PT 18 and got only -3, and it was all one the last section as I was running out of time.

Break down was : -7/-7/-10/-10, where it's LR/LG/LR/RC.

My RC sections had previously been 0-3, it's my most confident section. I have no idea what's going on. You'd figure someone capable to getting a 170 on a good day should at worst get a 160 on a bad day. I was really confident going in because on PT7 I caught all of the tricks that I usually miss.

What's a reasonable explanation? Over confidence? I mean, isn't it much more likely that I scored poorly this instance rather than I scored exceptionally well on that other day?

Oh god, someone just please just kiss me on the head and tell me everything will be alright? I'm too anxious to go to sleep.
Last edited by JesusChrist on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: PT40 just killed, am now dead

Postby Knock » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 am

Everything will be alright. Take a few days off, rest your brain. I'm sure you will come back fine. I had a couple outlier LSATs during my first prep. In every case (except the real deal), I bounced back on the next PT.

These weird, random fluctuations are perfectly normal, and happen to almost everyone. Try not to let it get to your head. One important thing in LSAT prep is not to get too high, but also not to get too low.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 am

I wouldn't put that much stock on the test. I've been scoring 165's on timed practice test and for some reason 40 did me dirty I got a 159 (1 correct question away from the 160) maybe it was just a harder test; sure it had a harder curve meaning it was easier but sometimes it can be the opposite for some. Anyways dust it off and good luck on the rest.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:03 am

Random fluctuations are normal, so don't freak out. But you need to take more of the recent tests. People for the most part agree that the tests 40-60 are very different from 1-39 and that generally people think 40-60 are harder. Especially over the first 20 or so tests.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Random fluctuations are normal, so don't freak out. But you need to take more of the recent tests. People for the most part agree that the tests 40-60 are very different from 1-39 and that generally people think 40-60 are harder. Especially over the first 20 or so tests.

I concur TCR.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:45 pm

JesusChrist wrote:I just took PT 40 and got a 155 or something stupid like that. Just 2 days ago I got a 170 on PT 7 that I felt great with. WTH is going on? I mean, today was labor day so I relaxed mostly, I got most of my to-do list done so I felt really good about that, ate a good dinner (salmon and broccoli), relaxed just before the test and just BOMBED it. As I was taking the test, and as I finished, I felt incredibly good about the chances.

In fact, that afternoon, I did the LG from PT 18 and got only -3, and it was all one the last section as I was running out of time.

My RC sections had previously been 0-3, it's my most confident section. I have no idea what's going on. You'd figure someone capable to getting a 170 on a good day should at worst get a 160 on a bad day. I was really confident going in because on PT7 I caught all of the tricks that I usually miss.

What's a reasonable explanation? Over confidence? I mean, isn't it much more likely that I scored poorly this instance rather than I scored exceptionally well on that other day?

Oh god, someone just please just kiss me on the head and tell me everything will be alright? I'm too anxious to go to sleep.

You sure do make a lot of stupid and unwarranted assumptions. What was the other one you made? That smart people dont become unemployed?

In regards to your concern, relax. It happens. Sometimes one gets an insanely high score and then goes down again. Every test is different. The key is consistency. Its great that you got a 170, but if all your other test scores are in the 150's that 170 doesnt matter.

Figure out why you got the questions correct. Figure out why you got a 170. What was different? Compare and contrast the tests if you want to figure out what happened.

Good luck!

tgedamu

Postby tgedamu » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 pm

"Consistency"...just like in tennis. :D

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Random fluctuations are normal, so don't freak out. But you need to take more of the recent tests. People for the most part agree that the tests 40-60 are very different from 1-39 and that generally people think 40-60 are harder. Especially over the first 20 or so tests.

Logic fail. It doesn't matter if they are "harder"... since the grade is adjusted accordingly ie if the questions are harder, then few right answers are required for the same score. Unless you are trying to say that the people who took 1-39 were, as a whole, smarter than the 40-60 people, then you should be able to get the same scores.

You're suffering from burn out. I was in 163-166 for abit.. then I started losing 1 point a day for a week or so. Finally someone told me about burn out. I took two days off... bam! back up to 165.

Burn out is real. Take some time off.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 pm

I agree, burnout is a real possibility if you end up bombing a test. You might also have been caught off guard by the shift between PT7 and PT40 if PT7 is the last one you did, and you haven't done any recent ones.

Taking some time off (even just a few days) can be very helpful. I scored my lone 180 after maybe 5-7 days of not doing much LSAT at all.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Logic fail. It doesn't matter if they are "harder"... since the grade is adjusted accordingly ie if the questions are harder, then few right answers are required for the same score. Unless you are trying to say that the people who took 1-39 were, as a whole, smarter than the 40-60 people, then you should be able to get the same scores.

You're suffering from burn out. I was in 163-166 for abit.. then I started losing 1 point a day for a week or so. Finally someone told me about burn out. I took two days off... bam! back up to 165.

Burn out is real. Take some time off.

Except, it's a pretty common sentiment that it is harder to do well on the newer ones than the older ones. This is likely due to the fact that preptest companies and studying material is plentiful and readily available to people today in ways that they definitely were not in the 90's. I've experienced this as well. I was 175ish on most of the tests i've taken from the 90's and am now can clearly see that it is tougher to stay at that same range in the later tests. There were also plenty of older tests that had much more generous curves than many of the ones today, which is again probably attributed to teh same thing.

Statistically the same amount of people got those scores at those test dates, but if the group of people taking the tests today are much more prepared then the original takers, it follows we would do better and the curve would have to be adjusted for us. And I think most people definitely see this trend.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Hmm, alright, thanks a lot guys. I'm sure it sounds a little stupid but the superfluous encouragements actually helped me out a lot last night when I read some of them. Just good to know that it 155 may not necessarily be my new normal.

I didn't realize that there was a consensus on the difficulty of the earlier tests, I had heard that the earlier LG were harder, which surprised me because I got a -1 on PT7's LG section, which I found to be pretty easy.

A question about burn out though, I didn't actually feel any more burned out than I normally do. In fact, I actually felt physically better than I normally do. M-F, I work full time with about 4 hours of physically demanding labor each day, so last labor day weekend I felt really good. So good in fact that I upped my study sessions to an hour in the morning (noonish) and then a PT at about 8 or 9. So I guess the schedule could have burned me out a bit. Regardless, that goes back to my main question: Can a person be mentally burned out and still feel rested and relaxed and calm?

florentine

Postby florentine » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:40 pm

This is so weird because I had been doing well and then came up to PT 40 and completely bombed it! I was beating myself up about it all day but then I realized it was burnout and so now tomorrow I will be starting up again! It was a nice break

cmaas

Postby cmaas » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

I'd be curious to see how you scored on other PTs.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:02 pm

I reviewed PT 40, does that constitute taking a break from LSAT? I'm definitely not going to do another PT until tomorrow AT absolute very least. Btw, LG from 40, so easy it's stupid.

Definitely burnout I guess. Thanks.

Cmaas, I'll take the next one and post how I did.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:14 pm

JesusChrist wrote:I just took PT 40 and got a 155 or something stupid like that. Just 2 days ago I got a 170 on PT 7 that I felt great with. WTH is going on? I mean, today was labor day so I relaxed mostly, I got most of my to-do list done so I felt really good about that, ate a good dinner (salmon and broccoli), relaxed just before the test and just BOMBED it. As I was taking the test, and as I finished, I felt incredibly good about the chances.

Maybe it's because you make stupid assumptions like that on the LSAT which kills your score?

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 am

JesusChrist, I feel your pain....I got a 164 on PT43 but dropped down to 153 on PT44 the next day. That's even lower than my first diagnostic..........but I didn't find the test particularly difficult. how the hell could this happen??

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 am

dont worry. A lot of people have a horrible test or 2 during their prep. Take a day away from lsat, and do something fun. WHen you get back tackle the pt again, only this time working the questions you got wrong. do it untimed. See how your score is. If you get the same question wrong, then do some review of the concepts. If you are still worried about burn out, then do a 4 section timed test. take breaks inbetween sections.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 am

gdane5 wrote:
You sure do make a lot of stupid and unwarranted assumptions. What was the other one you made? That smart people dont become unemployed?
!

Oh c'mon man lol, I'm prone to hyperbole.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 am

take 3 days off, your scores will rise again.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
!

Oh c'mon man lol, I'm prone to hyperbole.

I can tell. You might want to fix that. The LSAT is a very detailed test that'll kill you if you cant recognize or fall for hyperbole. Making assumptions like the ones you've made are the kinds of faulty assumptions and reasoning that you often see on the LSAT. So you might be hurting yourself by thinking like that.

Good luck!

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:34 am

cmaas wrote:I'd be curious to see how you scored on other PTs.

I just took PT 44 after a 2 day break (1.5 days more like it b/c the first day I was anxious as hell) and got a 165. Just a bit below my average, but significantly below my goal score of 170+. I feel the LG are a lot easier and the LR harder. So hopefully, by the time Oct 9th comes around, I will have gotten used to the difficulty of the LRs and RCs, since I had made good improvements on those sections in the earlier tests.

I'm also hoping that taking a 2 day break accounted for a bit of rust because my last LR section, Sec 4, I got -9.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”