Advice for MP questions in Reading Comp

dingoesatmybaby

Advice for MP questions in Reading Comp

Postby dingoesatmybaby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:22 pm

For some reason, I almost always get the MP question in RC passages wrong. It's weird, because MP questions in LR sections are among the easiest and its always easy to find the Main point, even without sufficient necessary indicators. The stimuli in LR questions are only a few sentences so figuring out the MP of the argument is never an issue.

However, in RC passages, even if I understand the passage enough to answer the remaining 5 or 6 questions correctly, I always fail at capturing the MP of the argument. I don't know, maybe I'm just easily tempted by wrong answer choices that seem right.

Does anyone have the same problem? Or anyone have advice on how to overcome this problem? Is the Main Point usually a specific sentence located in a certain part of the passage (first paragraph vs final paragraph) that is found re-worded as the answer choice or is it something that is not usually explicitly stated, but rather an idea that you must come up with on your own?

It's just very frustrating, because thats something that could easily be +3 or 4 easy points right there, and it just kills me that I can't seem to ever get these right.

gdane

Re: Advice for MP questions in Reading Comp

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank the gods these and main conclusion questions are my best.

The trick is to remember that the main point is what the author was arguing for. Incorrect answers will often be answers that 1) Restate a premise(s) 2) Restate the main conclusion or a subsidiary conclusion 3) Broaden/narrow the scope of the point.

Just remember that the main point is what the author is arguing for. This could come at the very end of the passage or the beginning.

If you need more elaboration let me know.

Good luck!

dingoesatmybaby

Postby dingoesatmybaby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks, yeah that makes sense. So the MP usually IS explicitly stated somewhere in the passage then?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:12 pm

dingoesatmybaby wrote:Thanks, yeah that makes sense. So the MP usually IS explicitly stated somewhere in the passage then?

For the most part. The correct answer will usually be restated/paraphrased.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Personally, if I'm having trouble picking between two answers on the main point, I re-read the end of the passage and usually choose whichever one of the answers mentions the last paragraph of the passage. This usually turns out to be correct, in my experience. Usually the main point is expressed, at least in part, at the end.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

[quote="Adjudicator"]Personally, if I'm having trouble picking between two answers on the main point, I re-read the end of the passage and usually choose whichever one of the answers mentions the last paragraph of the passage. This usually turns out to be correct, in my experience. Usually the main point is expressed, at least in part, at the end.[/[quote]

For sure. Again, you have to ask yourself, what is the author arguing for? What is the author trying to tell me in all this gibberish?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Watch out, though. I've noticed they tend to throw an answer in that uses something DISCUSSED in the last paragraph, but NOT the main point. But since you've just read it you're like yes! that sounds nice!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 am

the main point is at the beginning or the last parargraph. Depending on how the passage is structured, and what its about. Look for what the author is arguing, what any other opinion is( an esxpert, another theory, whatever) and look at if they agree or disagree in it ( annotate this somewhere- just briefly wiht a + or - next to the spot). At the end of the passage I ask myself SO WHAT?? the answer to that would be the main point. you can also get the tone of the passage doing this too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”