RC score getting worse as tests become newer

jlee282

RC score getting worse as tests become newer

Postby jlee282 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 pm

When I first studied for the RCs, I used to get about -2 to -4 at the very worst, but when I hit preptest 40s and on, I've noticed I'm getting -5 to even -7s at times. I browsed the forum a bit, and apparently the RCs do get more difficult as the tests get newer. What I would like to know is, did anyone else encounter a trouble like mine (used to score pretty decently in the earlier exams, suddenly scoring lower in the later RCs)?

If so, how did you overcome it? Extensive dissection of the passages? noticed subtle trends? It baffles me that I used to score so decently, and now I'm doing so poorly : (. Please help!

Knock

Re: RC score getting worse as tests become newer

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:46 pm

jlee282 wrote:When I first studied for the RCs, I used to get about -2 to -4 at the very worst, but when I hit preptest 40s and on, I've noticed I'm getting -5 to even -7s at times. I browsed the forum a bit, and apparently the RCs do get more difficult as the tests get newer. What I would like to know is, did anyone else encounter a trouble like mine (used to score pretty decently in the earlier exams, suddenly scoring lower in the later RCs)?

If so, how did you overcome it? Extensive dissection of the passages? noticed subtle trends? It baffles me that I used to score so decently, and now I'm doing so poorly : (. Please help!

I've had trouble being consistent on RC. I still haven't found a solution for it. Just practice I guess, RC is the hardest to improve on, and I feel like it depends on the passage difficulty. Some people have said that forcing yourself to be interested in what you are reading helps, so maybe you can try that out. I realize that this post isn't very helpful, sorry, but good luck.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:48 pm

is it because you are experimenting with new strategies? If so, then its completely normal for your score to go down for a bit, then rise. IF thats not the case, the passages and questions on RC do get harder in the 40's. I find that the 50's are a bit easier. Keep practicing, and try to see what your issue is. I know that if you explain how you go abouts RC, you will get a lot of constructive criticism or support.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:50 pm

northwood wrote:is it because you are experimenting with new strategies? If so, then its completely normal for your score to go down for a bit, then rise. IF thats not the case, the passages and questions on RC do get harder in the 40's. I find that the 50's are a bit easier. Keep practicing, and try to see what your issue is. I know that if you explain how you go abouts RC, you will get a lot of constructive criticism or support.

I found the 50's a pretty decent step up in RC difficulty, personally.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I also felt like RC got harder in the later tests- I've heard that they were deliberately made more difficult by LSAC, but I couldn't tell you whether that's true or not (other than anecdotally, it was true for me).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Apparently, they are making RC harder because the test is becoming more learn able thanks to all the test prep companies and the 60+ released PTs.

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Experiencing the same problem here went from around -0 to -3 till the 30s to -4 to -8 in the 40s/50s...found LG and LR to get easier (esp LG got so much easier) but RC got alot harder. Have one month to figure out how to get better...

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:06 pm

3|ink wrote:Apparently, they are making RC harder because the test is becoming more learn able thanks to all the test prep companies and the 60+ released PTs.

Yep, this is what I heard as well.

Newer tests = LG gets more standardized/easier, RC gets harder, LR gets...different. Easier for some harder for others.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 pm

kazu wrote:
3|ink wrote:Apparently, they are making RC harder because the test is becoming more learn able thanks to all the test prep companies and the 60+ released PTs.

Yep, this is what I heard as well.

Newer tests = LG gets more standardized/easier, RC gets harder, LR gets...different. Easier for some harder for others.

I don't know, interns and dinos I wouldn't call standardized or easier. Mulch and stone too.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Knockglock wrote:I don't know, interns and dinos I wouldn't call standardized or easier. Mulch and stone too.

Hmm I think the more recent ones - 50s perhaps - get a bit harder than the 40s, when LG definitely got much easier than the earlier ones. But I still think it's generally more easier than the 1~30s. While LSAC still likes to throw "harder" games at us I feel like they're less frequent, and the games are less batshit crazy.

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Yes, I also noticed that RC "changed" somewhat since the late 40s, but once comparative reading kicked in in June 2007, I realized that I could save a decent amount of time on the comparative passage, and thus giving me more time for the other ones. I'm not sure if this applies to everyone, but comparative passages is easier for me compare to regular passages.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 pm

I personally think RC is easier now than ever. While the content of the passages has become harder to take-in, the questions are much easier and more predictable than pre-30's. I prefer a passage that is hard to read followed by easy question than a passage that is easy to read followed by hard questions (questions about those minute details you may have ignored the first time around).

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:14 pm

So the passages are more dense? I think that of the few practice comparative passages I have taken, I find them WAYYYY easier. So do you guys base it on the passage itself or the introduction of the comparative passages?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”