Millanda's LSAT Preptest Diary

millanda

Millanda's LSAT Preptest Diary

Postby millanda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Logic games are the devil.

That's about all there is to it. Or maybe I just suck at them. I'm in denial about the whole thing, especially since I read the logic games bible already. It didn't seem to help at all, but I also think that may be because I left logic games alone for a long time while studying logical reasoning. I'm definitely going to go back and read the LG bible again, but in the meantime, I'm getting totally destroyed.

I've only taken two practice tests so far, Superprep A and just now Superprep B, scoring 163 on both. I feel like I did better on the first one, with a raw score of 82. I got -4 on the first LR, -3 on RC, -9 on LG (after not even getting to the last game), and -3 on the second LR. I tend to average about -2 to -5 for the LR and RC sections, but LG are killing me. It was about the same for test B: -5 LR, -14 LG (!!!), -3 RC, -2 LR. Actually, I got the same number of questions wrong for RC and LR on both tests; I just did worse in LG. I never get to the last game, and this time around, I got a ton of questions wrong in the second and third games. I really need to get my act together.

I'm taking Superprep C tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I predict another LG annihilation.

EarlCat

Re: Millanda's LSAT Preptest Diary

Postby EarlCat » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:27 am

millanda wrote:I predict another LG annihilation.

That's the spirit!

millanda

Postby millanda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:39 pm

EarlCat wrote:
That's the spirit!

I know, I know, it's not the right attitude to have, but I'm a realist. And I just took Superprep C and scored a 162. :( I got -12 on logic games. I mean, I'm not expecting improvement from test to test without going back to the basics, so that's what I'm going to start doing.

However, I'm very disappointed in how I performed in the other sections. I was very happy with my -2 in the first LR (I felt confident while answering them throughout), but I missed 7 in the second LR! I also got -5 in RC, which isn't great, and three of them I missed because I didn't finish. I think that might just have been because I was tired of sitting around (which is all I've done all day), and I'm just getting used to taking full exams. But still, I expected better.

Taking three more tests this week. I'm going to read the logic games bible when I'm not mentally exhausted. Hopefully my score eventually starts to increase...

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Leaving Logic Games alone is the WORST THING YOU CAN DO. Seriously. You have to do one of those suckers every single day or your skills deteriorate, I think. Even if it's just repeating an old game.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm in pretty much the same situation with scoring on sections. As a result, I decided to head to Fedex Office this weekend & make a ton of copies of LGs from PTs 19-38 so I can drill them timed. I used to dread games as well, but the more I've done, the more I really have begun to view them as games -- as a break during the exam (as sick as that may sound to those who might not understand).

Haven't taken a PT since I started doing this, but my timing has improved majorly & I'm only halfway through all the copies.

millanda

Postby millanda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 pm

eit, do you think if I start now really drilling the games until October I'll have a chance of getting the hang of it again? If I get logic games down, I can be up in the high 160s at least, and that's really frustrating me. I'm determined to understand these games.

And goldengloves, I'll have to give that a shot. I don't have early preptests, but that would probably be a good idea for copying purposes. Thanks for the suggestion.

millanda

Postby millanda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I took way too many days off (because of school and work) and after reading a little of the LG bible, I took preptest 47 and got my lowest score yet: 161. I'm disappointed because I actually did my best in LG with only a -4! It was my first time finishing the section, and I was in shock. However, my other sections were terrible, especially the -8 in RC. I have no idea what happened, but I'm beginning to think that focusing on one section of the test in my studies is making my performance suffer on the other sections. From here on in, I'll have to continue preptesting while doing more LG on top of that. Must ... find ... time ...

Anyone have any opinions on preptest 47? Easy or hard? Specific sections better/worse than usual?

millanda

Postby millanda » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I just took preptest 48 and scored another 161. I'm pretty discouraged. I don't know why I'm not getting 163+. I'm doing better at the logic games; my mind doesn't glaze over, and even if I don't finish, I make logical guesses that end up being right. (I missed 5, but that's pretty good for me.) However, I'm also averaging -5 for the other sections, which is so irritating, especially my -6 on RC. It was like last week it totally clicked, but this week I lost it. I also keep missing the main point questions, so I might have to brush up on those.

I'm going to spend the evening going over preptests 47 and 48, and then I'm taking 49 tomorrow. Let's hope there's some sort of improvement.

millanda

Postby millanda » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Preptest 49 is my new best friend. I just got a 165, my highest score so far! I'll take it, especially since this is only my sixth test, and I still have a few weeks to go. I really want to make this the norm.

I'm realizing that logic games fluster the hell out of me when they're first. I couldn't even get passed the first game -- I had to skip to the last two and come back to it. Then a lot of it became obvious. I still didn't finish, and the stupid mail game made me want to cry. But I trudged through with a -7, which whatever, I'll accept for now.

I feel much better, though, with my RC and LR. I got -2 on my first LR section (!!!) and -4 on my second. I want to get them down to -2 each, and I took someone's advice on the boards and started cutting out the ones I got wrong and reviewing them every day.

Reading comp. wasn't bad, and most of the questions I missed were in one passaged. I also missed another main point question, so I'm going to have to keep reviewing that.

Ah, I'm pretty happy. I was scared I'd get stuck at 161. Sure, this is just the high now, but I think I have time for improvement, and at least I know it's in reach. Tomorrow I'll review the test and practice LGs. Meh.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm

yeah that maize passage was pretty killer. I think i just ended up guessing on most of them just because I didn't have the time to read the process 3 times to get exactly what is going on. Definitely biased towards biology majors

millanda

Postby millanda » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:32 pm

I definitely panicked today. I got another 161 on preptest 51 with a terrible -9 in RC. I don't understand why I'm so totally inconsistent with RC ... sometimes I'll get -2, other times -10. It's driving me crazy. So then I started freaking out about possibly postponing the test (I'm registered for Oct. 9) and maybe even taking a year off. But, long story short, I think I'm still going to take it next month and aim to go to the University of Florida. Their median LSAT is 163, I believe, and I think that's still in my reach. I have a 3.9 GPA, so I'm not too worried about that. I just hope I can improve in the next three weeks!

millanda

Postby millanda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:43 pm

I am on cloud 9 right now. I just scored a 170 on preptest 52! I can't even believe it. After sulking all week about being stuck at 161, I took a few days off from intensive prep, and this is what I come back to! -2 on every section except for RC, which was a -5. It was my first encounter with that new type of two-argument passage, though, and I missed three in that section alone, so if it wasn't for that, I would have had -2 in that part, as well!

My favorite part is that I got a -2 on LG and actually finished on time. I can't even believe it. I think I've been approaching them wrong, using the notations as a crutch for actually remembering the rules. I'm hoping this -2 thing becomes a regular score.

I also went into this test with the attitude that every single question matters. I realized that before, I was just so focused on getting through the test that I would let questions slide by. I would lose focus. Maybe this attitude is part of the reason for my better score. I don't know.

All I know is that I'm really excited.

:)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”