who else is in my situation? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paulshortys10

Silver

who else is in my situation?

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:35 am

About 35 days left, time running out, but with no job or any other obligations, i have all the time in the world to practice.
-I've read both the bibles, and done about 8 Pt's thus far.
-the highest i've scored is 165, but average 162- Goal is 170, but happy with a 168 on the actual thing
-I'm planning on taking almost 1 PT's daily, sometimes even 2 a day. It's gonna get mentally draining, but i thinks it's the only way. Plus i thrive on doing things last minute. I still need to work on my speed
-I'm doing the kaplan 180 problems Untimed while i'm at the gym/sauna. Just to get some extra work in, and some explanations to go along.
-Lg-average -3 wrong per section, have gotten -0 though
-LR-average -8 per section(16 per test), i'd say about -6 are dumb mistakes(not reading things correctly). I can usually eliminate 3 of the answers on every question, and the misses come from the final 2 choices.
-RC-average -6, but seems i'm getting it

with all this i feel my goal is actually attainable....what do you guys think? any tips?. any specific LR tips?

mfeller2

Bronze

Re: who else is in my situation?

Post by mfeller2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:39 am

Take a break. Doing 2 PTs a day is over the top, you'll burn out fast. LR is all about reading closely. Make mini diagrams if it helps and break down each conditional statement or cause/effect relationship. But don't feel like you need to do 20 PTs before the test.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:42 am

I don't know if this will help, but on LR, watch out for strong, categorical words like "always," "never," "all," "none," etc. They are often red flags of incorrect answers, in my experience. Obviously there are exceptions.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 am

I'm going for it and am unemployed like you. I have been half assed studying for this test (like an hour every month) for about 2 years. I started hitting it hard in June for like a week and then stopped. I really started hitting it (Going through the LGB and doing timed sections) about 3 weeks ago. I think not having a job will make it a lot easier. The three month recommendation is for studying like 2-3 hours a day (I'm hoping) so we should be fine.

Good Luck!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:44 am

mfeller2 wrote:Take a break. Doing 2 PTs a day is over the top, you'll burn out fast. LR is all about reading closely. Make mini diagrams if it helps and break down each conditional statement or cause/effect relationship. But don't feel like you need to do 20 PTs before the test.
I've been debating just taking the test in Dec If i don't make any significant improvements in the next 2-3 weeks. But imma give it my all to try to improve asap

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:46 am

Adjudicator wrote:I don't know if this will help, but on LR, watch out for strong, categorical words like "always," "never," "all," "none," etc. They are often red flags of incorrect answers, in my experience. Obviously there are exceptions.
i dont seem to be having problem with these...i have problems with flaw , parallel, and paradox mainly, prob over 50% of my misses. I also have the kaplan mastery and plan to practice the LR on some of the earlier exams so i dont redo questions.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:47 am

FlanAl wrote:I'm going for it and am unemployed like you. I have been half assed studying for this test (like an hour every month) for about 2 years. I started hitting it hard in June for like a week and then stopped. I really started hitting it (Going through the LGB and doing timed sections) about 3 weeks ago. I think not having a job will make it a lot easier. The three month recommendation is for studying like 2-3 hours a day (I'm hoping) so we should be fine.

Good Luck!
yea i feel motivated that it can be done, good luck to you as well .

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:51 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I don't know if this will help, but on LR, watch out for strong, categorical words like "always," "never," "all," "none," etc. They are often red flags of incorrect answers, in my experience. Obviously there are exceptions.
i dont seem to be having problem with these...i have problems with flaw , parallel, and paradox mainly, prob over 50% of my misses. I also have the kaplan mastery and plan to practice the LR on some of the earlier exams so i dont redo questions.
Do you have the LR Bible? It has chapters for each type of problem. Since you seem to be consistently missing the same types, perhaps it would help.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 am

My guess would be that none of the posters who recommend 3 months took an entire 3 months from work/school to do LSAT. I think if we put in full time effort we can do it!

As far as burning out is concerned I just look at the average starting salary for schools that 170+ is going to get me into. That usually gets me focussed rather quickly haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 am

Adjudicator wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Do you have the LR Bible? It has chapters for each type of problem. Since you seem to be consistently missing the same types, perhaps it would help.
yea i've read it, AND also read the flash cards, i feel like i need to practice in order to get better at them.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:09 am

FlanAl wrote:My guess would be that none of the posters who recommend 3 months took an entire 3 months from work/school to do LSAT. I think if we put in full time effort we can do it!

As far as burning out is concerned I just look at the average starting salary for schools that 170+ is going to get me into. That usually gets me focussed rather quickly haha.
You sound motivated, but those average starting salary stats are distorted. Take them with a grain of salt. Good luck though. I was working 40 hrs a week when I was studying for the test, and taking 2 PTs a week, maybe that's why I burned out.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 am

yeah thats why I put a haha at the end of it. I have lots of better reasons for studying a bunch but the models and bottle fantasy is a good motivator haha

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:40 am

FlanAl wrote:I'm going for it and am unemployed like you. I have been half assed studying for this test (like an hour every month) for about 2 years. I started hitting it hard in June for like a week and then stopped. I really started hitting it (Going through the LGB and doing timed sections) about 3 weeks ago. I think not having a job will make it a lot easier. The three month recommendation is for studying like 2-3 hours a day (I'm hoping) so we should be fine.

Good Luck!
Ugh me too! (to the bolded)...I have been starting and stopping and I'm finally taking it whether I'm ready or not in October because I can't put it off any longer. I feel like if I don't I'll never take it. I'm also unemployed and graduated in May so I have a lot of time. We can do this.

My problem is mostly LG so I need to put more of a focus on that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

We are pretty much in the same position, if you switch LG and LR scores. Im usually around -3 per LR, -8 LG, and -3 RC. PTing in the 165s. No job, PT every other day with ~15 to go. Take a PT, review the next day, PT the next.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:05 pm

For LR, I think the most important thing is to FOCUS the hell out of it. Concentrate concentrate concentrate!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 pm

eit wrote:For LR, I think the most important thing is to FOCUS the hell out of it. Concentrate concentrate concentrate!
So true. I find myself thinking about other things and rereading the stimulus over and over or missing the answer because I missed something small in the stim.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”