LRB not helping...

arean.ryan

LRB not helping...

Postby arean.ryan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:30 am

I've been studying since about August 18th, Diagnostic was 144 (half asleep) I just took a PT tonight and I scored a 157, not a bad improvement my LG went from -12 to -3 after reading the LGB, however I'm almost done with the LRB and I'm still missing between -11 and -13 on EACH LR section, seems like the only thing that is really holding me back. Am I missing the the point of the LRB, I'm reading stimuli and isolating the conclusion, thinking about possible answers, seeing strength/weakness but I consistently miss questions...anyone have any good advice how to better utilize the LRB, or attack the LR section.

Re: LRB not helping...

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 am

Are you going through every problem you miss, particularly the ones in the LRB that have explanations, and figuring out exactly what you did wrong? If you are fully understanding what you did wrong and more importantly making adjustments based on that, I would imagine your score would improve with more repetition.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 pm

That is what is most frustrating, it seems like I have no pattern in my misses. I will miss random questions types, and it's either between 2 or 3 contender..I feel like if I get the question correct it is a lucky guess...if I get the question incorrect it is usually a "shell game" answer or a topic I presume is out of the argument scope..but it is not. Repetition of LR should increase accuracy like repetition of LG correct? If so I'm just gonna practice and review non-stop till I get it down.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:16 pm

It's one thing to understand the points made in the LRB. It's something entirely different to apply those points to the test. For some people, that transition is easy. For others, it isn't. You just have to keep repeating LR sections until you can calmly identify the logical architecture of nearly every stimulus. Don't panic. You're not the first to suffer through this and you won't be the last. Just make sure you're one of the ones to overcome it. Don't let it worry you and just keep taking PTs or practice LR sections if you have enough material available.
Last edited by 3|ink on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:57 pm

3|ink wrote:It's one thing to understand the points made in the LRB. It's something entirely different to apply those points to the test. For some people, that transition is easy. For others, it isn't, You just have to keep repeating LR sections until you can calmly identify the logical architecture of nearly every stimulus. Don't panic. You're not the first to suffer through this and you won't be the last. Just make sure you're one of the ones to overcome it. Don't let it worry you and just keep taking PTs or practice LR sections if you have enough material available.

Truth. There is definitely a "click" moment where you realize how to apply everything the LRB says to the actual test. Keep track of what you are missing the most, review the LRB, and fully explain why you are missing each question. You will get it eventually

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Heres my tip. Its helped. I went from -10/11 last year to -5/-6 the last 3 PT's and it seems like Im improving every test.

Go through each chapter in the LRB one at a time. Read it, do the examples, etc etc. Then get a notebook and take notes as to what you just read. Dont copy the LRB word for word. Paraphrase. This forces you to restate the points made in the chapter in a way that you can understand. It also indirectly can help with "role" and "main point" questions. By paraphrasing points and statements, you learn how to cut out the garbage and focus on whats important. Role and main point questions are my strongest question types.

Another tip to use in conjunction with the notebook paraphrasing is to make up your own examples after important points. For instance in point at issue questions the LRB teaches you the "disagree/agree" test. I made a cute little example after I paraphrased that point into my notebook that said "Speaker 1: A is cute because he's funny and has nice hair. Speaker 2: A is cute because he has a nice body and he smells good". I then made myself find the point at issue and the obvious point of issue is somewhere along the lines of "The two speakers disagree as to why A is cute". This is a rough example, but I did this with every question type. Making up your own examples is fun and can help you grasp the concepts.

Doing this is a little time consuming, but if it sounds like it might help you, go for it.

Good luck!

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks guys I will start reviewing LR mistakes thoroughly and read the according LRB sections. I'll be back with anymore questions.

dingoesatmybaby

Postby dingoesatmybaby » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:26 pm

I would advise you to re-read the LR bible chapter reviews for each question types, because hoenstly they do a fantastic job of telling you exactly how to approach the correct answer for different question types (especially in regards to Justify vs Assumption questions) and then do like 20 practice questions of each type untimed, just to get a feel of exactly what you are looking for for each question type. Go through them slowly and disect them until you start to see exactly why 1 answer is correct, and the other 4 are wrong. Pretty soon you will start to notice patterns and it will become second nature.

The only downfall of this is when you do them seperated by category, it makes it hard to adjust to the actual format of the test to where the question types are all scrambled up in any order. But still, if you are getting that many questions incorrect per section, it would be smart to try this method to better familiarize yourself with what exactly you should be looking for in each question type.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”