PT51, S3, Q19

MissLucky

PT51, S3, Q19

Postby MissLucky » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I did not pick D because that answer choice never specified that the punctuation was archaic - sure it states that the punctuation is "directly quoted from an older work" but that doesn't mean it had to have been archaic - it could very well be punctuation that has stayed current from old times to new times (and hence with no applicability of the modernization principle). Without explicitly being told if the punctuation was archaic or not, how can we infer D? In a different question, I could see the test makers explicitly testing this attention to detail - so why not in this question as well?

That's why I chose "C" as a better response - at least it specifies "an archaic spelling" - why does it go wrong? because it says "should" when all we know is that the editor "may"?

Thanks a lot!

whymeohgodno

Re: PT51, S3, Q19

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:41 pm

MissLucky wrote:I did not pick D because that answer choice never specified that the punctuation was archaic - sure it states that the punctuation is "directly quoted from an older work" but that doesn't mean it had to have been archaic - it could very well be punctuation that has stayed current from old times to new times (and hence with no applicability of the modernization principle). Without explicitly being told if the punctuation was archaic or not, how can we infer D? In a different question, I could see the test makers explicitly testing this attention to detail - so why not in this question as well?

That's why I chose "C" as a better response - at least it specifies "an archaic spelling" - why does it go wrong? because it says "should" when all we know is that the editor "may"?

Thanks a lot!

The answer can never be C. The question never has the word "should" or any word with a meaning similar to it.

Just because something "may" be done doesn't mean it "should" be done.

Also to your first point, it doesn't have to be archaic. If you read the first sentence it doesn't just refer to archaic spellings but also to styles of punctuation from older works, which is what D is referring to.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
MissLucky wrote:I did not pick D because that answer choice never specified that the punctuation was archaic - sure it states that the punctuation is "directly quoted from an older work" but that doesn't mean it had to have been archaic - it could very well be punctuation that has stayed current from old times to new times (and hence with no applicability of the modernization principle). Without explicitly being told if the punctuation was archaic or not, how can we infer D? In a different question, I could see the test makers explicitly testing this attention to detail - so why not in this question as well?

Thanks a lot!

The answer can never be C. The question never has the word "should" or any word with a meaning similar to it.

Just because something "may" be done doesn't mean it "should" be done.

Also to your first point, it doesn't have to be archaic. If you read the first sentence it doesn't just refer to archaic spellings but also to styles of punctuation from older works, which is what D is referring to.

thanks for your reply! I see why C is off...but as to the other point, in the first sentence of the stimulus, doesn't archaic modify both spellings and styles of punctuation from older works?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

thoughts?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”