Will I get faster on LG?

groberts

Will I get faster on LG?

Postby groberts » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I've worked through the LG Bible and a few dozen untimed tests. Today, I took my first timed LG section, and it sucked. I only completely finished two games. One, I didn't even get to. The third, I half-finished when the timer went off.

Thing is, I do well with setups and questions...if I have enough time. So, does practice make you faster? Please tell me it's so.

Knock

Re: Will I get faster on LG?

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:45 pm

groberts wrote:I've worked through the LG Bible and a few dozen untimed tests. Today, I took my first timed LG section, and it sucked. I only completely finished two games. One, I didn't even get to. The third, I half-finished when the timer went off.

Thing is, I do well with setups and questions...if I have enough time. So, does practice make you faster? Please tell me it's so.

Yes. Practice, practice, practice. Drill until it's your second nature. Make sure you know all the diagramming, additive inferences, and conditional reasoning like you have been doing it your whole life. You need to get to the point where that stuff is automatic.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Using the search function wouldve been faster than posting this question...

To answer your question, yes your timing does improve with practice. The most important thing is that you understand the concepts and learn how to diagram. Once you have this stuff down and practice, the timinig will come naturally.

Good luck!

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:56 pm

groberts wrote:I've worked through the LG Bible and a few dozen untimed tests. Today, I took my first timed LG section, and it sucked. I only completely finished two games. One, I didn't even get to. The third, I half-finished when the timer went off.

If you take all the time you need LG sections should never be too difficult. It's good that you've gone through the bible and are thus familiar with all the game types and setups, but really you should have been doing timed sections from the beginning. For any person doing prepping right now who reads this thread untimed sections should stop being a part of your prep as soon as you understand the test format and question types.

Yes OP practice will make you faster. I would recommend doing as many timed sections as you can, and if you have a book that has a bunch of separate games try to do drills where you finish each game in about eight minutes. New LG sections are usually formatted so that a couple games take ~6 minutes and a couple games take more, but if you can consistently do old games in less than eight minutes it means your speed at graphing and deduction is much improved from where you are at now.

groberts

Postby groberts » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Ok, you guys are right. And gdane, yeah, I should have done a search. Sorry! I took three more and finished in time, and am getting fewer wrong with each test. Guess practice does make perfect, or at least close to it.

Whew.

mwheatley

Postby mwheatley » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I agree with the above advice. It is all about practice. On my first test I only finished three games. In my PT (test 42) today I finished with 5 minutes left and only missed one. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”