Kaplan LSAT 180

jets098

Kaplan LSAT 180

Postby jets098 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

I was looking in my school library for extra practice problems (because most of the ones from the official test preps I bought are all marked up) and I found this book and have been working through it. The explanations are great and really help me see where I screwed up. However, I was looking online and I realized that I am not doing official LSAT problems and I have heard/read on here that you should only practice with real problems. Is this book worth continuing or should I put it down and go back to the official preptests. The only reason I don't want to do that is that it is much easier to see my mistakes when I can read explanations. Thanks!

Knock

Re: Kaplan LSAT 180

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 pm

jets526 wrote:I was looking in my school library for extra practice problems (because most of the ones from the official test preps I bought are all marked up) and I found this book and have been working through it. The explanations are great and really help me see where I screwed up. However, I was looking online and I realized that I am not doing official LSAT problems and I have heard/read on here that you should only practice with real problems. Is this book worth continuing or should I put it down and go back to the official preptests. The only reason I don't want to do that is that it is much easier to see my mistakes when I can read explanations. Thanks!

Have you done the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles? They give you explanations, and they use real LSAT questions.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:11 pm

jets526 wrote:I was looking in my school library for extra practice problems (because most of the ones from the official test preps I bought are all marked up) and I found this book and have been working through it. The explanations are great and really help me see where I screwed up. However, I was looking online and I realized that I am not doing official LSAT problems and I have heard/read on here that you should only practice with real problems. Is this book worth continuing or should I put it down and go back to the official preptests. The only reason I don't want to do that is that it is much easier to see my mistakes when I can read explanations. Thanks!

Have you tried looking on ebay for some Kaplan mastery books (the kinds they use in the classes)? This would provide explanations while using real LSAT questions. You'll definitely want to be using real LSAT questions, but the value of having an explanation is obvious as well.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Knockglock wrote:

Have you done the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles? They give you explanations, and they use real LSAT questions.

I've done both of those and the problems are all marked up. I have problems going back and re-doing games when I already know the answers because I skip to the right answer.

As far as the regular Kaplan mastery book, I will take a look at my schools library to see if we have that also. This 180 book seems good but I definitely want to be ready for the test with real lsat questions.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:15 pm

jets526 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I've done both of those and the problems are all marked up. I have problems going back and re-doing games when I already know the answers because I skip to the right answer.

As far as the regular Kaplan mastery book, I will take a look at my schools library to see if we have that also. This 180 book seems good but I definitely want to be ready for the test with real lsat questions.

I've heard rumors that it is possible to find explanations for LSAT preptests somewhere out on the internet.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Kaplan 180 isnt that bad. They arent official/real LSAT questions, but they do a good job of mimicing them. Also, these questions are tougher. You wont find many 1 or 2 star questions in LSAT 180.

I say use them. They help you practice on the really tough type questions. I found this really helped me for RC.

Good luck!

allison34363

Postby allison34363 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Everyone hates on Kaplan; I liked this book in particular.

penguin

Postby penguin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm

jets526 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Did you get used books? or you marked all those by yourself?? I generally don't get used books for LSAT because people tend to leave marks and notes on LSAT problems. When I work on problems, I don't want to see any writings on my books. I suggest you buying clean, new copies.

Or if you marked those by yourself, don't work directly on the books. I myself make multiple copies of LG games by types and work on them. I NEVER write on books because I know I WILL go back to the sections I have trouble with. Although you get the problems right for the first time, it doesn't mean that you can get it right second time either. Also, one more reason for not writing on my books is that I can resell those with fairly decent prices after I'm done with LSAT but if the books have marks, the prices go down.

When you get PT books, you should make multiple photocopies as well so that you can work on the same PTs as many times as you want. I got my PTs in PDF so that I can print out as many times as I want. :D

I'm following instructions from these posts so far it's been working. I'll stick with these. (These study plans require a lot of copies of PTs or sections, that's why I'm making LOTS, LOTS and LOTS of copies... :mrgreen: )

:wink:
Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Bridging the gap between timed and untimed practice
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36512

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”