Why do people say LG section is easier now?

roballen

Why do people say LG section is easier now?

Postby roballen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Just curious as to why people say the earlier games are harder than the new ones?

St.Remy

Re: Why do people say LG section is easier now?

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 pm

roballen wrote:Just curious as to why people say the earlier games are harder than the new ones?

Personally I don't think they are, unless you mean the much earlier games that pop up sometimes on old PTs. These are difficult because of the unfamiliar format. Otherwise most of the famously difficult ones are recent (dinosaurs and photo/journalist interns for example).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 pm

They tend to be less crazy.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am

Yeah.. the recent ones tend to be more "standardized".. where as some of the old ones are just batshit crazy.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 am

kazu wrote:Yeah.. the recent ones tend to be more "standardized".. where as some of the old ones are just batshit crazy.

Just look at the game with snakes and lizards. Holy mother of god. That game drove me crazy.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
kazu wrote:Yeah.. the recent ones tend to be more "standardized".. where as some of the old ones are just batshit crazy.

Just look at the game with snakes and lizards. Holy mother of god. That game drove me crazy.

Yeah.. some of the old ones, if you don't get a certain inference right away you'll get a whole game wrong. Recent ones that's not so likely (with just 1 inference) - you'll probably just get a few, not the whole game.

7ED

Postby 7ED » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 am

those who claim the games are easier I think are talking about the 40s series and some of the early 50s. if u've done any of the games from about 56-57 onward, they are just as hard as the 30s series (which is pretty damn tough).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:31 am

7ED wrote:those who claim the games are easier I think are talking about the 40s series and some of the early 50s. if u've done any of the games from about 56-57 onward, they are just as hard as the 30s series (which is pretty damn tough).

Really? I found the LG in preptest 58+59 pretty easy and I'm certainly no guru at LG section.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am

St.Remy wrote:
roballen wrote:Just curious as to why people say the earlier games are harder than the new ones?

Personally I don't think they are, unless you mean the much earlier games that pop up sometimes on old PTs. These are difficult because of the unfamiliar format. Otherwise most of the famously difficult ones are recent (dinosaurs and photo/journalist interns for example).

Glad you named those two - the interns one is what caused me (well mostly) to get a 167 with 10 wrong on the LG in June and I ran into the dinosaurs game recently on a PT and was very discouraged - hearing that I'm not the only one who found those especially tough makes me feel a lot better...so thank you :)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

I always thought the snakes & lizards game was tough.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
7ED wrote:those who claim the games are easier I think are talking about the 40s series and some of the early 50s. if u've done any of the games from about 56-57 onward, they are just as hard as the 30s series (which is pretty damn tough).

Really? I found the LG in preptest 58+59 pretty easy and I'm certainly no guru at LG section.

+1

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah I do think the late 50s games are a bit harder, but I don't think they near the batshit craziness level of the early games (around 1~20s)

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 am

The older games are definitely harder. I never struggle with the new games, easily complete them with time left over. However, I really have to rush on older games.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:07 am

What PTs are supposed to have hard games (I mean PT numbers)? Or what games specifically are considered pretty tough, other than the two mentioned above?

I'm doing the 30s PTs right now, but since I am no LG whisperer, I don't know when a game is actually hard and when I'm just sleepy and when I'm just stupid :). I generally find games that don't fit the standard molds most difficult, just because it takes more time to figure out the setup.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:05 am

hypothalamus wrote:What PTs are supposed to have hard games (I mean PT numbers)? Or what games specifically are considered pretty tough, other than the two mentioned above?

I'm doing the 30s PTs right now, but since I am no LG whisperer, I don't know when a game is actually hard and when I'm just sleepy and when I'm just stupid :). I generally find games that don't fit the standard molds most difficult, just because it takes more time to figure out the setup.

PT 34 and 36 have pretty difficult games sections (doctors and buses).

Feeny

Postby Feeny » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:19 am

1-20: some are easy, some quite difficult, some spatial, many just weird (but not necessarily more difficult)
20s: more standardized but more difficult (they seemed to ramp up the difficulty around 24)
30s: IMHO, the hardest of the modern era, deductions are key with many of these
40s: pure delicious cake
50s: cake with 1-2 odd/difficult/time consuming games per section (especially the late 50s)

Overall, from hardest to easiest: 30s>20s>1-20s>50s>40s

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Haha I looked at PT 34 and saw I've already done the doctors game and answered all questions correctly (in 13 mins, though). ...And then I realized I put a big note on top: "RE-DO! Tough game!!!"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”