Is it just me....

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Is it just me....

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Or does it seem like the curves on older preptests (anything before 40) seem to be in general much more generous than more recent tests?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Eh. Whatevs. The overall goal should be to answer as many as you can correct. F*ck the curve!

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:Eh. Whatevs. The overall goal should be to answer as many as you can correct. F*ck the curve!


TCR. 0 errors is 180 on any curve.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Sucks that 0 errors is unrealistic for me :(

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Sucks that 0 errors is unrealistic for me :(


Ditto to that my man.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 pm

gdane5 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Sucks that 0 errors is unrealistic for me :(


Ditto to that my man.


You. Gotta. Believe!

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Is it just me....

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Since you have no idea what a given curve will be on any test, you might want to set yourself a minus target (i.e., -2 per section maximum or something). It won't guarantee a particular score, but you really can only focus on questions wrong/questions right because you don't know the curve until you've added up your score/looked at it, and you won't know the curve for 3 weeks after your real test.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Or does it seem like the curves on older preptests (anything before 40) seem to be in general much more generous than more recent tests?


I noticed that too when I was taking my PT's.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm

What was the curve on June's?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby 3|ink » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Or does it seem like the curves on older preptests (anything before 40) seem to be in general much more generous than more recent tests?


I noticed that too when I was taking my PT's.


I think that may be the LSAC's way of evening the playing field. We have much more material to study from than they did before PT 40. I suppose it could be something else.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:00 pm

3|ink wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Or does it seem like the curves on older preptests (anything before 40) seem to be in general much more generous than more recent tests?


I noticed that too when I was taking my PT's.


I think that may be the LSAC's way of evening the playing field. We have much more material to study from than they did before PT 40. I suppose it could be something else.


Everytime I throw my 2cents in there I find out everything I knew about how the test equating works is wrong, so I am just going to withhold my guess now :P.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 pm

2014 wrote:What was the curve on June's?


-12

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:16 pm

St.Remy wrote:
2014 wrote:What was the curve on June's?


-11


I thought it was -12?

Edit: You're quick. For what it's worth, though, both a -11 and -12 graded at a 170. And one of the questions was removed, making a total of 99 credited responses. Really not a bad curve at all.
Last edited by beachbum on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:17 pm

beachbum wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
2014 wrote:What was the curve on June's?


-11


I thought it was -12?


Ninja edit :P

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 am

dont worry about the scaled score, focus on increasing the number of actual questions you get right. Since we dont know what the curve will be in October, dont really worry about your score after the curve. If you want to grade your tests according to a curve, make sure to use a curve that isnt too friendly. While I look at the test's curve to determine my scaled score, I also double check the raw number to both prep test 59, and to prep test 48 ( i think that one had a -7 curve). That way I can get a feel of my scoring range.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Is it just me....

Postby A'nold » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24 am

Still think it sucks that mine was a -9. 8) You -12'ers suck, hardcore.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: birdkin, galeatus, jen203, latif and 11 guests