When taking a simulated test, what exactly qualifies..?

CardozoLaw09

When taking a simulated test, what exactly qualifies..?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 am

Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

am060459

Re: When taking a simulated test, what exactly qualifies..?

Postby am060459 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:as 'under test conditions?'

timing, 5 section test with break after third section, and with some distraction (nothing to serious like a coffee shop unless you want to build noise tolerance).

oohh and writing section at end (lmao just kidding)

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 am

Yup, timing. sometimes I throw in the experimental if I have some extra sections floating around, sometimes I don't. I don't see it as that important, as it hasn't had any pronounced effect on my scores.

Also I'm not so sure about the whole "test day distraction" simulation thing. Maybe it's just me but I feel like testing environments are the opposite of distracting. Nobody's talking, no music is bumping, no dogs are running around barking their faces off. The only sounds are pages flipping and pencils scratching, which to me sounds simply like a library - which is where people go to get AWAY from distractions and study.

I think "test day distraction" may have more to do with nerves than anything else.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:26 am

---oh and one thing that I think is crucial is that you don't get too wrapped up in simulating the environment. If somebody knocks on your door, pause your timer and go get it! If your neighbor starts blasting reggeton at 120 decibels during your RC section, pause your timer, and get back to it when the music stops. If you put too much importance on it, it will raise your stress level and make you score worse. I promise.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am

Blindc1rca wrote:---oh and one thing that I think is crucial is that you don't get too wrapped up in simulating the environment. If somebody knocks on your door, pause your timer and go get it! If your neighbor starts blasting reggeton at 120 decibels during your RC section, pause your timer, and get back to it when the music stops. If you put too much importance on it, it will raise your stress level and make you score worse. I promise.

I disagree with this. I took the test twice and the first time I did the above. Paused the timer for things, took the test at home and ended up scoring well below my PT average. In essence I lulled myself into a false sense of security and wasn't prepared for the test.

The second time around I simulated test environment down to a T. I used the pencils I used on test day and the timer to time myself under strict conditions. I took the test in public places (2 different libraries and a coffee shop). I added a blind 5th section, so I wouldn't know which one I was not scoring while taking the test. This time around I scored exactly my PT average and I attribute that all to simulating test like conditions.

I know it sounds silly to do, because it did to me before I actually did it but what's the worst that can happen? Its not like it is going to hamper your score. It can only help and if it doesn't well then you aren't out anything. I don't think this method will help you score better, but it will allow you to more accurately gauge where you are in your prep.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”