Is a 170+ on the LSAT realistic for me?

Naija-Aggie

Is a 170+ on the LSAT realistic for me?

Postby Naija-Aggie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 pm

I did my first practice test yesterday pretty much cold and scored a 160. Today I was sick and took the Kaplan diagnostic and thought I did horrible but got a 157! My problem areas were the games, I only got through about 14 before I ran out of time and had to guess. On the reading comp I ran out of time on the last reading part and had to guess on those 5.

I think with practice I can improve my timing and easily score in the 160s but my goal is 170+ since I'm a serious splitter. Do you think this is realistic? What can I do to improve my score on top of the prep course I'm taking? I've already ordered the LG & RC Bibles and 20 practice test. Any advice would help, thanks!

Lonagan

Re: Is a 170+ on the LSAT realistic for me?

Postby Lonagan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 am

Define "pretty much cold."

Was it under test conditions? If not, then it is not especially meaningful. That being said, yeah, if your baseline if 50s-60s, yes it is reasonable to make 170+ your goal.

If games are your problem then you are in luck, as they are quite susceptible to a systematic approach. They are more learn-able than, say, RC.

Naija-Aggie

Postby Naija-Aggie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 am

I took the first test strictly timed under test conditions. By pretty much cold I mean that I've looked over 15 or so questions in a book over the last month but nothing serious. Thanks for the advice on improving my scores!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 am

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 am

Conventional wisdom of TLS: Anybody can get any score, 170+ has two prerequisites: Opposable thumbs and studying hard. (Not trying to sound sarcastic, this usually IS the case, just a difference of methods - some gets things done easier and in a more elegant manner, others attack problems with brute force; end [170+] justifies the means)

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes you can score a 170+. A 160 on a cold diagnostic is a very, very good score. 170+ should easily be in your range assuming you study well, and study hard.

Best of luck.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Conventional wisdom of TLS: Anybody can get any score, 170+ has two prerequisites: Opposable thumbs and studying hard. (Not trying to sound sarcastic, this usually IS the case, just a difference of methods - some gets things done easier and in a more elegant manner, others attack problems with brute force; end [170+] justifies the means)

I don't think this is the consensus, or at least not a firm one. People have personal ceilings.

There is certainly a lot to be gained through general familiarity with the test, gaining a systematic understanding of the different types of questions found in the various sections, and learning strategies for attacking each of these different types of questions. However, the LSAT is still a test of one or more forms of intelligence / brain power, and people are not equally well-endowed with such attributes.

This board probably makes it seem like exceptionally high scores are easier to achieve than they actually are, for two reasons. First, people on this board are more serious about law school admissions than the general population and consequently have (on average) probably done significantly more preparation for the LSAT than the average law school applicant. This board self-selects for higher LSAT scores, and probably does so to a significant extent. Second, even within this population there is likely selection bias in play with regard to who reports their scores. Namely, people with high scores want to brag and people with low(er) scores don't want to be embarrassed.

Much like 90% of law students will not be in the top 10% of their class, 98% of LSAT takers will not be in the top 2%. There is no shortage of people on this board who work insanely hard and plateau in the 160s or even 150s. In many cases there is really nothing more they could do to get a higher score. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and our ability to change them is somewhat limited. I'm never going to run a sub-4 mile, no matter how many pairs of Adidas I wear out. Life's a bitch.

At any rate, this might not apply to the OP. That's a really strong diagnostic score and 170+ is very likely in reach.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 pm

One thing that may make you optimistic: if your biggest problem area is logic games, that's great because LG is the most learnable section. Consider buying something like the Logic Games Bible ASAP and practice heavily. A few weeks drilling games should noticeably increase your score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”