Experimental Score

Nulli Secundus

Experimental Score

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Um, do you think the scaled score derived from experimental sections over four 5 section PTs (I add Section 1 to 1st PT, Section 2 to 2nd PT and so on) would be reliable? I do not see the reason why it would not be, considering you also get it timed. What are your thoughts?

3|ink

Re: Experimental Score

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:03 pm

That depends when you perform best and when you have your experimental. My experimental is always first, so I assume that it's usually my best score because I get tired as I progress. Therefore, my combined experimentals for a given test are probably slightly inflated. However, lately my performance has gotten better later in the test. I don't know what to think anymore.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm

I think it's still reliable. With that being said, my experimental scores have been all over the place - I think a lot of it has to do with your placement of the section. I generally place mine first, and the first section is usually my weakest because sometimes my brain isn't in its fully-functioning condition at the start of the test.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 pm

I place the experimental randomly, my phone has an app called "Tumbling Dice", that shows the result of roll of 2 6 sided die, so if the result is;

4,8,12 = I place it first
1,5,9 = I place it second
2,6,10 = I place it third
3,7,11 = I place it fourth

I think this is a more accurate simulation of real test.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

nullisecundus wrote:I place the experimental randomly, my phone has an app called "Tumbling Dice", that shows the result of roll of 2 6 sided die, so if the result is;

That's a neat idea but I just have a few questions.. even if you use that system, don't you still know where the experimental section is during the PT? Also, what's your rationale for placing the experimental section fourth when it's always in the first three sections?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Well, ofc you know which one is the experimental but I noticed that when its not random one tends to just put it 1st and be done with it, while when it is random, you just soldier on, kinda reflects the mentality of the real test better.

Placing 4th is something I do for stamina buildup, when it ends up in 4th place I do not take any breaks and just go on, if the experimental is a RC as well, it gets brutal sometimes but life happens :)

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:32 pm

remember on the real thing we wont know where the experimental section is. Usually it is in the first 3 sections, so I would randomly put them in a couple of days before you take the prep test and I would place them accordingly. I like the dice rule thing, i will use it when i get back from my lsat hiatus of 3 days.

good luck, and the best thing about octobers test being on a saturday? We can all go out and celebrate, and not have to worrry about going to work or school the next day!!!!!

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Well, ofc you know which one is the experimental but I noticed that when its not random one tends to just put it 1st and be done with it, while when it is random, you just soldier on, kinda reflects the mentality of the real test better.

Placing 4th is something I do for stamina buildup, when it ends up in 4th place I do not take any breaks and just go on, if the experimental is a RC as well, it gets brutal sometimes but life happens :)

Why don't you just roll the dice after you've completed the PT and determine which section is experimental at that point? That way, you really would be approximating the actual test more closely since you wouldn't know which section is experimental.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Well thing is, I just put a copy of a section from one of older PTs as experimental in the PT booklet, so I cannot declare a random section experimental. Integrity and scaled score of the PT would be compromised.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Cromartie wrote:
nullisecundus wrote:Well, ofc you know which one is the experimental but I noticed that when its not random one tends to just put it 1st and be done with it, while when it is random, you just soldier on, kinda reflects the mentality of the real test better.

Why don't you just roll the dice after you've completed the PT and determine which section is experimental at that point? That way, you really would be approximating the actual test more closely since you wouldn't know which section is experimental.

That's not a bad idea. You could decide to make your best section your experimental. At worst, this will produce deflated scores. I don't think anyone minds that so much when it's practice.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Well thing is, I just put a copy of a section from one of older PTs as experimental in the PT booklet, so I cannot declare a random section experimental. Integrity and scaled score of the PT would be compromised.

Good point.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm

Wow, reading garbage like this makes me love the fact that I have a job lined up and I am graduating from one of the top schools in the nation and not worrying about dumb s*** like that.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Wow, reading garbage like this makes me love the fact that I have a job lined up and I am graduating from one of the top schools in the nation and not worrying about dumb s*** like that.

Good luck! I hope all goes well for you!

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Wow, reading garbage like this makes me love the fact that I have a job lined up and I am graduating from one of the top schools in the nation and not worrying about dumb s*** like that.

LMAO, go buy yourself a cookie.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:04 pm

The fact that you feel the need to spout that nonsense, squeezing your current situation in between (which btw does not need any special mention, Daisy, there are thousands of people graduating and finding jobs, you are not that special snowflake, sorry) shows your aching need for external validation, which is almost surely indicative of inferiority complex (at least in your case). See you even chose the name to represent yourself as on an internet forum as Columbia Law, which regardless of its truth, is also a clear indicator of your personality problems. Pathetic, try harder champ, apparently graduating from law school is not quite enough for getting rid of all that emotional baggage, you will get there though.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 pm

nullisecundus wrote:The fact that you feel the need to spout that nonsense, squeezing your current situation in between (which btw does not need any special mention, Daisy, there are thousands of people graduating and finding jobs, you are not that special snowflake, sorry) shows your aching need for external validation, which is almost surely indicative of inferiority complex (at least in your case). See you even chose the name to represent yourself as on an internet forum as Columbia Law, which regardless of its truth, is also a clear indicator of your personality problems. Pathetic, try harder champ, apparently graduating from law school is not quite enough for getting rid of all that emotional baggage, you will get there though.

This is true. Usually the people the feel the need to brag and belittle others do so because they're insecure about themselves. No disputing that.

Dont bother with this person anymore. Please ignore them.

Focus on the topic of this thread.

pppntschch4

Postby pppntschch4 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm

nullisecundus wrote:I place the experimental randomly, my phone has an app called "Tumbling Dice", that shows the result of roll of 2 6 sided die, so if the result is;

but the experimental is always one of the first 3 sections???

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”