LSAT Proctor app

Cromartie

LSAT Proctor app

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

Used this app for the first time on Sunday. I have to say, it is very distracting, especially the guy who sounds like he's going to cough his lungs out. I am going to use it everytime I take a PT from now on.

Is there anyone else who's been using it?

Fresh

Re: LSAT Proctor app

Postby Fresh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:59 am

Cromartie wrote:Used this app for the first time on Sunday. I have to say, it is very distracting, especially the guy who sounds like he's going to cough his lungs out. I am going to use it everytime I take a PT from now on.

Is this an iPhone app?

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Fresh wrote:
Cromartie wrote:Used this app for the first time on Sunday. I have to say, it is very distracting, especially the guy who sounds like he's going to cough his lungs out. I am going to use it everytime I take a PT from now on.

Is this an iPhone app?

Yup, it's a free iPhone app.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 pm

I use the LSAT Proctor DVD on my computer.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm

I've found that using earphones is unrealistically distracting. Don't be surprised when an actual guy coughing doesn't even phase you.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:

I've found that using earphones is unrealistically distracting. Don't be surprised when an actual guy coughing doesn't even phase you.

I didn't use earphones, but I had my i-Phone on max volume. I thought it was overly and unrealistically distracting; it was tough to maintain concentration and I had a dull headache after completing the PT. However, I figure getting used to something as bad as that can only help me with the real LSAT.

Unless...in an unfortunate Pavlovian twist, I end up getting conditioned to doing well only in the midst of really bad disruptive factors.
Last edited by Cromartie on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:09 pm

I have mixed feelings on the distractor noise. I wish they had a "level" bar that controlled how realistic the noise was, not just how loud. like the lowest level would just have mild pencil noises and paper turning, mid level would have a few small coughs and a sneeze or two and the highest level would be about what they have.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:I have mixed feelings on the distractor noise. I wish they had a "level" bar that controlled how realistic the noise was, not just how loud. like the lowest level would just have mild pencil noises and paper turning, mid level would have a few small coughs and a sneeze or two and the highest level would be about what they have.

Agreed. They should also move things further away from the mic so it's not like people are coughing/sharpening in your damn ear.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Agreed. They should also move things further away from the mic so it's not like people are coughing/sharpening in your damn ear.

I'll give them a pass on that, because that's relatively difficult to do for even a trained recording engineer (let alone someone making a free iPhone app). Microphones don't pick up sound the same way as the ear does, so its difficult to control distance properly. Especially if the end user is using headphones. This is why most headphones are said to have no "soundstage". If you want the sounds to sound more distant, the easiest solution is to move your phone further away.

allison34363

Postby allison34363 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I'll give them a pass on that, because that's relatively difficult to do for even a trained recording engineer (let alone someone making a free iPhone app). Microphones don't pick up sound the same way as the ear does, so its difficult to control distance properly. Especially if the end user is using headphones. This is why most headphones are said to have no "soundstage". If you want the sounds to sound more distant, the easiest solution is to move your phone further away.

Makes total sense :roll: :)

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Couldn't you just go to your library's quiet areas if you wanted some realistic mild distractions?

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Not as portable, but here's an online proctor: http://www.atlaslsat.com/LSAT-proctor.cfm

Hope it's helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”