LR question (Flaw type) how to approach Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fortunefaux

New

LR question (Flaw type) how to approach

Post by fortunefaux » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 am

Here is the stimulus to the flaw question (the question stem asks for an error in BOTH Terry and Pat's reasoning).

Terry: Some actions considered to be bad by our society have favorable consequences. But an action is good only if it has favorable consequences. So, some actions considered to be bad by our society are actually good.

Pat: I agree with your conclusion, but not with the reasons you give for it. Some good actions actually do not have favorable consequences. But no actions considered to be bad by our society have favorable consequences, so your conclusion, that some actions our society considers bad are actually good, still holds.

The answer was :

D: presupposing that if an action's having a certain property is necessary for its being a certain type of action, then having that property is sufficient for being that type of action.

This sounds like a mistake in conditional reasoning. However I chose the answer B, which states:

B: presupposing that if most actions of a certain type share a certain property, then all actions of that type share that property.

I thought this would have been it since I read Terry and Pat's argument of the actions of certain type (both good and bad) to both have a certain property (they share the idea of favorable consequences or not favorable consequences). How am I supposed to approach this question?

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Re: LR question (Flaw type) how to approach

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=36019

Refer to the question by PT #, Section #, Problem #.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:06 am

The "most" is what kills B. The argument isn't that most actions share good or bad, thus all share good or bad.

fortunefaux

New

Post by fortunefaux » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 am

Thank you for the post guys. My bad on the question posting but what does PT stand for?

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:37 am

fortunefaux wrote:Thank you for the post guys. My bad on the question posting but what does PT stand for?
Prep Test, as in which prep test number it came from

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”