Reading Comp Advice

bball85

Reading Comp Advice

Postby bball85 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm having some trouble getting the RC section done consistently in 35 minutes. It usually takes me anywhere from 35-39 minutes to complete the section and even then I still feel rushed. I think my problem is I get caught on a few difficult questions for too long and that screws with my timing for the entire section.

Right now I'm getting about 5 or 6 wrong on average per RC section and I'd like to get that down to 3 or 4 by October so I can get in the 170 range on the test. Any advice on how I can improve on both timing and accuracy given my current situation before October?

Thanks.

waxecstatic

Re: Reading Comp Advice

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Yeah. Read more. Do more.

HTH

bball85

Postby bball85 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Anything more specific than that?

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 pm

bball85 wrote:Anything more specific than that?

It's not like you're asking how to do a trigonometry problem. If you get 5 or 6 in reading comprehension, go over the ones you got wrong. Hope for the best on test day. Then do more. There isn't some magic bullet for reading comprehension.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Be genuinely interested in the passages. I know some of them are dull, but if you're able to make yourself interested in what they're saying, you'll retain pretty much everything and be able to move along really quickly.

vttran9

Postby vttran9 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:32 am

If you feel like you are spending too much time on a problem, skip it and go back. Going through other problems will help remind you what the passage about. Once you go back, your mind is clearer and you can eliminate the wrong choices more easily.

Also, try to spend under 3 1/2 minutes to read the passage. The goal is not to get all the details but to understand the structure of the passage, each paragraph, arguments, opinions, etc.

Its sad, RC is my best section.

JacobH

Postby JacobH » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 am

After each paragraph, do a summation in your head on what you learned. Was the paragraph positive or negative? Was there an example? Was this paragraph proving something from a previous paragraph? Is it leading into another paragraph?

If you read it that way, and you read the passages like you would read an interesting novel, then you will kill the RC.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 am

JacobH wrote:After each paragraph, do a summation in your head on what you learned. Was the paragraph positive or negative? Was there an example? Was this paragraph proving something from a previous paragraph? Is it leading into another paragraph?

If you read it that way, and you read the passages like you would read an interesting novel, then you will kill the RC.

sounds good

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”