Which Test Center?

Eichörnchen

Which Test Center?

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 am

Hi everyone- I've been looking into the testing centers available to me for my Dec LSAT, and I'm torn. The closest center is at a university that is literally right down the street. I've been there many times, so I'm very comfortable with the area and the school...However, the ratings on Kaplan's center ratings is very, very low (#17/17) with many complaints of very small desks: --LinkRemoved-- My other best option is about 40 minutes away and I've never been there, but it has high ratings, although there are fewer reviews (#3/17) : --LinkRemoved--. I'm just trying to figure out if my comfort level with the near-by school outweighs the reviews. I have to admit, I get frazzled when I'm stressed and in an unfamiliar area driving (but I suppose I could just visit the place a few times), and there is a benefit that I could feasibly take some PTs in the school near my house, which would be nice if it were my center. I don't know what to do :? Also, about how soon should I sign up for my December LSAT?

Re: Which Test Center?

Postby 2014 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Those are pretty bad reviews for the one near you. Why don't you take a drive to the other one sometime this week and check it out? 40 minutes isn't bad at all and if it helps you get comfortable with it, definitely time well spent.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 pm

A drive isn't that bad an exchange for a better testing center. Try the drive out, see how it feels.

Do you have the option of getting someone else to drive you? I don't have a car so my grandmother is driving me to the test, lol. I put it on her calendar in June and was like YOU CANNOT HAVE ANY PLANS ON THIS DAY OR THE NIGHT BEFORE.

I don't know if it would be more or less stressful to have someone else drive you. I guess if you had worries about their dependability, maybe more, but if you have someone dependable like me, it could be cool.

triplem25

Postby triplem25 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:18 pm

I had a similar problem. My closest testing center was at my university and it also was at the bottom of the rankings for my state with similar issues with desk size and organization. The next closest test center was about an hour away, but it was rated the best in my state. I decided to switch to the other test center and I'm taking it in February. I'm going to check it out in person next month, although I already researched it beforehand/read through all the reviews(they mentioned a small number of test takers, lots of space, quiet, etc.)

My plan is not to worry about driving the day of, especially in the winter. I'm going to rent a hotel in the area for the night before. My advice is just to plan for the test center further away. It's not worth it to stress over something like this when you can easily get rid of that stress. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have one less thing to worry about.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a similar issue. I've had a couple classes in the test center classroom, so I know the desk sizes to be small as fuck. So instead of planning to drive 40 minutes or so to the next closest one I've been doing LSATs on my lap. That way when I actually get a desk it'll seem nice no matter how small it is.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:33 pm

If you're really forced to take the test in a center with small desks, that study technique makes sense.

If you have any choice, I'd switch to another center and make the drive, staying overnight if necessary.

The biggest issue is in reading comprehension - you have questions over two pages for each section. If you have a question on the right hand page that forces you to refer back to the passage, you need to turn over the book, read the passage then refer back to the question. It really slows you down.

Unless you're finishing RC in good time, I'd do anything in my power to select a test center with a desk size that allows you to keep the full test booklet open in front of you.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:I have a similar issue. I've had a couple classes in the test center classroom, so I know the desk sizes to be small as fuck. So instead of planning to drive 40 minutes or so to the next closest one I've been doing LSATs on my lap. That way when I actually get a desk it'll seem nice no matter how small it is.

This is a good idea. I think I'll try this. My test center has those small oddly-shaped fold-up desks.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:44 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I have a similar issue. I've had a couple classes in the test center classroom, so I know the desk sizes to be small as fuck. So instead of planning to drive 40 minutes or so to the next closest one I've been doing LSATs on my lap. That way when I actually get a desk it'll seem nice no matter how small it is.

This is a good idea. I think I'll try this. My test center has those small oddly-shaped fold-up desks.

Yeah that's what mine has. But also I know someone who took the LSAT there in February (probably the least popular date I would think), and apparently everyone was spaced three or four seats apart so everyone got both the desk on their left and their right. Might be the same in your classroom.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks everyone - It was a good point about driving in the winter (I am a michigander if you couldn't tell that based on the test centers) and driving for the Dec. LSAT might be a pain. I could have my boyfriend drive me, and if I chose the center 40 minutes away I definitely would because I don't think I'll need the extra stress of an unfamiliar area and driving. I think I'll visit the center that's far away and see what it's like. I wish there was someone at the school you could contact, because I know that at Oakland (crappy ratings) many students are placed in rooms with fold-up half desks, but I would hate to swap and go somewhere unfamiliar just to end up in the same situation. Plus, if I took it at Oakland, I could take my PTs there often which might be a good thing...I'm glad TLS exists so I have company to agonize over these details with. Someone I know used the fact that I was questioning my test center to demonstrate how ridiculously neurotic I am to a couple lawyers who had a hearty laugh and told me that it's just a test and I am way over-thinking it. Then again, they all went to U Detroit Mercy which is T4, but I didn't point that out :twisted:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”