Need advice on October vs. December

St.Remy

Re: Need advice on October vs. December

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 am

charmin519 wrote:To all the pessimistic people out there who doubt by softs:

At the age of twenty one I convinced a multi million dollar corporation to use me as a "TEST" franchise model. Working 60 hours a week I successfully built a 500k a year business before the age of 23. I then completed my final 66 credit hours in 3 semesters with a 3.23 GPA while maintaining my established business. I sold the business in 2007 before the collapse and pocketed a large chip pile. I now work as a consultant for high rise, industrial, manufacturing, and heavy commercial facilities specializing in building automation which integrates security, fire, lighting, mechanical, etc...... I'm currently ranked 4 of 206 consultants nationally for a 1 billion a year publicly traded company. I"m 27 and I don't have the engineering degree HIGHLY DESIRED for employment in my industry and compete against those with an average of 18 years of experience in the industry.

Did I mention that I was financially cut off at the age of 18 and paid for shelter, food, gas, vehicle, insurance, tuition, books, etc...... 100% on my own without any loans.

My LOR's are from the Vice President of the company that gave me the "Test" drive.
LOR from professor who witnessed first hand me withdrawing from a course with a 98 average because of company requirements to leave the state for three weeks to finish large job.
LOR from national engineering director of IBM who is a current customer
LOR from CEO of billion dollar publicly traded company I currently work for.

These are not particularly amazing softs, in the sense that they won't give you much of an admissions boost. I imagine an admissions person would look at this description and basically think "so he could have had a better GPA but he put a bunch of other stuff before his grades." So I don't think you'll get any major points for this.

In terms of when to take the LSAT you are the best person to answer this question: do you feel like you've hit a wall and can't improve your score on timed PTs? When you go back over the problems why are you getting them wrong? Can working on a specific type of LR or RC question type substantially improve your score? You haven't really given us much to consider in terms of how you feel on the LSAT, probably because you've been too busy sounding like a tool. If you feel like you can hit your target goal by the October deadline then you should of course take the October test.

charmin519

Postby charmin519 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 am

Adjudicator wrote:You seem like a pretty tightly-wound guy.

LOL

It was a rough day but it just seems you always get BS on this site. My softs and intentions have nothing to do with my question. Yet, the typical BS found in many threads continue. All I'm asking for is 5-10 responses to my direct question. Every answer may differ but I feel the more opinions you seek the better conclusion I can come too.

I know there is negativity towards "softs" and "consultants" but in each case the replier made an assumption and questioned me without answering the question. How does that help me? How does that help this site as a whole? I shouldn't be forced to establish credibility to receive a question about OCT vs. DEC last. I shouldn't be prepped for the dont go to law school theatrics.

I am wound tight. Thats why my softs are great. I get to the point and move on.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

What was your question again?

Oh yeah... okay, since you want a real answer so bad, I don't think you'll be ready in October to give the LSAT your best shot. I think you should take more time to prepare. It doesn't sound like you'll find any shortage of things to do in the meantime.

charmin519

Postby charmin519 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 am

Adjudicator wrote:
charmin519 wrote:Why does it seem that the antagonistic responses seem to be from "NEW" members? New being the last thirty days or less?

I have more posts than you do. I could say the same thing about you.

Adjudictor: that actually wasn't directed to you as you hadn't replied yet.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:02 am

charmin519 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
charmin519 wrote:Why does it seem that the antagonistic responses seem to be from "NEW" members? New being the last thirty days or less?

I have more posts than you do. I could say the same thing about you.

Adjudictor: that actually wasn't directed to you as you hadn't replied yet.

Ah, thank you... carry on, then. :)

charmin519

Postby charmin519 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 am

St.Remy wrote:

At the age of twenty one I convinced a multi million dollar corporation to use me as a "TEST" franchise model. Working 60 hours a week I successfully built a 500k a year business before the age of 23. I then completed my final 66 credit hours in 3 semesters with a 3.23 GPA while maintaining my established business. I sold the business in 2007 before the collapse and pocketed a large chip pile. I now work as a consultant for high rise, industrial, manufacturing, and heavy commercial facilities specializing in building automation which integrates security, fire, lighting, mechanical, etc...... I'm currently ranked 4 of 206 consultants nationally for a 1 billion a year publicly traded company. I"m 27 and I don't have the engineering degree HIGHLY DESIRED for employment in my industry and compete against those with an average of 18 years of experience in the industry.

Did I mention that I was financially cut off at the age of 18 and paid for shelter, food, gas, vehicle, insurance, tuition, books, etc...... 100% on my own without any loans.

My LOR's are from the Vice President of the company that gave me the "Test" drive.
LOR from professor who witnessed first hand me withdrawing from a course with a 98 average because of company requirements to leave the state for three weeks to finish large job.

These are not particularly amazing softs, in the sense that they won't give you much of an admissions boost. I imagine an admissions person would look at this description and basically think "so he could have had a better GPA but he put a bunch of other stuff before his grades." So I don't think you'll get any major points for this.

In terms of when to take the LSAT you are the best person to answer this question: do you feel like you've hit a wall and can't improve your score on timed PTs? When you go back over the problems why are you getting them wrong? Can working on a specific type of LR or RC question type substantially improve your score? You haven't really given us much to consider in terms of how you feel on the LSAT, probably because you've been too busy sounding like a tool. If you feel like you can hit your target goal by the October deadline then you should of course take the October test.

You really don't think my softs are good? I started a half million dollar company before the age of 23? You think that an admissions rep is going to think that I put other things in front of my undergraduate studies? I think that's kinda obvious. I put my lively hood before everything else and was one of the FEW who was lucky enough to become successful. I'm pretty sure that if given the opportunity 9.9 of 10 students would have done the same. Sounds like what every other human on the planet would do?

I disagree but AGAIN I didn't ask for an anaysis of my softs and DIDNT GIVE THEM OUT TO BEGIN WITH. SOMEONE ELSE ASKED FOR THEM WHICH HAS RESULTED IN ME ACTING LIKE AN ASS FOR THE PAST HOUR. Because I'm now being told that my softs suck despite achieving more with less than most people. SO INSTEAD OF GETTING AN ANSWER WITHOUT AN INSULT I'M NOW BEING TOLD I'M A "TOOL" WHEN THE VERY THING I'M COMPLAINING ABOUT WAS INCLUDED IN THE INITIAL RESPONSE.

who cares what you think about my softs. I DIDNT ASK ABOUT THAT.

charmin519

Postby charmin519 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 am

Admin you can delete this thread when you get a chance.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 am

charmin519 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:In terms of when to take the LSAT you are the best person to answer this question: do you feel like you've hit a wall and can't improve your score on timed PTs? When you go back over the problems why are you getting them wrong? Can working on a specific type of LR or RC question type substantially improve your score? You haven't really given us much to consider in terms of how you feel on the LSAT, probably because you've been too busy sounding like a tool. If you feel like you can hit your target goal by the October deadline then you should of course take the October test.

You really don't think my softs are good? I started a half million dollar company before the age of 23? You think that an admissions rep is going to think that I put other things in front of my undergraduate studies? I think that's kinda obvious. I put my lively hood before everything else and was one of the FEW who was lucky enough to become successful. I'm pretty sure that if given the opportunity 9.9 of 10 students would have done the same. Sounds like what every other human on the planet would do?

I disagree but AGAIN I didn't ask for an anaysis of my softs and DIDNT GIVE THEM OUT TO BEGIN WITH. SOMEONE ELSE ASKED FOR THEM WHICH HAS RESULTED IN ME ACTING LIKE AN ASS FOR THE PAST HOUR. Because I'm now being told that my softs suck despite achieving more with less than most people. SO INSTEAD OF GETTING AN ANSWER WITHOUT AN INSULT I'M NOW BEING TOLD I'M A "TOOL" WHEN THE VERY THING I'M COMPLAINING ABOUT WAS INCLUDED IN THE INITIAL RESPONSE.

Thank you for once again providing no additional information on what exactly your LSAT situation is, thus making it impossible to answer your initial question. Without more info on what problems you are having with the LSAT there isn't really much we can do besides talk about your softs.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am

OP,
I think if you are aiming for a lower T1 or T2 school, then I say go ahead and take in October. Consistently take preptests this month & REVIEW them to find weaknesses, and I'm sure you'll have some improvement. If you feel like you bombed, then you can always take in December, but focused prep should have you ready enough for October.

I don't think you should worry too much about admissions if you find that your preptest scores are in the range you want. If you have 2 or 3 specific schools in mind like you said, then go all out for their applications. Send them in as early as possible. Make a personal statement throwing something in there about why EXACTLY you desire to attend their program and what your experiences will bring to the class & I honestly think you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:30 am

OP, your softs are all right, but based on what I hear from students at Yale, at that school you would probably be just another face in the crowd amongst all of the Nobel laureates, Fortune 500 CEOs, best-selling novelists, and JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF OHMYGOD.

So, as good as your softs may be, don't underestimate the caliber of other prospective law students. Especially at Yale.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 am

Adjudicator wrote:OP, your softs are all right, but based on what I hear from students at Yale, at that school you would probably be just another face in the crowd amongst all of the Nobel laureates, Fortune 500 CEOs, best-selling novelists, and JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF OHMYGOD.

So, as good as your softs may be, don't underestimate the caliber of other prospective law students. Especially at Yale.

TBF though, actually being another face in that crowd isn't such a bad thing...

Besides, OP wants to go to a lower ranked school -I think he would be absolutely fine with a 160 and low 3.0 GPA. Heck, throw in the addendum which relates to his PS & softs and somebody will bite.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:36 am

I hear Cooley is a good school for self-motivators.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 am

Adjudicator wrote:I hear Cooley is a good school for self-motivators.

Maybe OP will go on a hunger strike until we stop talking about his softs and magically pull an answer to his question out of thin air.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:44 am

St.Remy wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I hear Cooley is a good school for self-motivators.

Maybe OP will go on a hunger strike until we stop talking about his softs and magically pull an answer to his question out of thin air.

:mrgreen: Unfortunately OP seems to be gone.. which is too bad, this thread was entertaining.

Edit for quote fail.
Last edited by kazu on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:10 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 am

charmin519 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

Maybe this is why you aren't improving on the LSAT....misreading.

The guy said your softs weren't particularly amazing. He never said they weren't good.

Also from your initial post, scoring at a plateau of (166?) while going 7 minutes over on each section, I would say you have very little chance of getting an LSAT score that would even give you a chance at a t14 school if you took the October LSAT.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:31 am

Oh haha, I guess he did not have the time to grow up because of doing so much before the age of 23.

OP, thing is, your softs are good, but unless in some way (LSAT) or the other (GPA) you can show the AdComm that you have the "academic" cojones, which I think differs from business savvy (that you have plenty of), they will not look favorably upon your application. You started a company, that is awesome, but as far as the AdComm is concerned, the guy with a 20 point higher LSAT could have done the same, had he wanted to, and for all intents and purposes he would have been more successful. (I ll freely admit the same correlation probably does not exist for GPA)

HTH!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I would go for October. You still have a good chunk of time to improve your score.

I disagree with your method though. I think you should continue to work on mastery before moving onto endurance. The former will aid in the latter. Focus on the low-hanging fruit - the question types that come up on a regular basis - sequencing, matching, distribution games, assumption, inference, strength/weaken LR questions. Those few question types constitute well over half of your test and if you're able to get more comfortable with them, you should notice your timing becoming less of a problem.

Just my $.02

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”