I'm dying

I'm dying

Postby lawyer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I have taken PT's 19-45 and always score in the high 150's

-I review every test thoroughly and when I redo problems I got wrong, I usually get most of them right and score around 170.

-I've done every LR question from Kaplan Mastery books. I get 95% of 1 and 2 star questions correct, 80% of 3 star questions correct, and 65% of 4 star questions correct the first time I try them (but at this point, I've seen all those questions about three times).

-I have no pattern of missing a certain LR question type consistenly.

-I've done every logic game twice from PT's 19-45. Even though I'm comfortable with every type of game, for some reason, there is always one game that destroys me when I take a new PT. When I review that game, I usually ace it.

-I generally have no problem finishing sections on time, but sometimes I go over time. I don't feel nervous or stressed under timed conditions.

-I've tried many strategies from TLS and ATLAS forums and read through the LG and LR bibles twice, taking brief notes.

I have read a lot of books about the LSAT and I thought "I got it," but nonetheless, my score shows that I am no better after a hundreds of hours of studying than when I first began in June.
With my real LSAT coming up in October, I hope random people on the internet can explain what I need to do to rock the LSAT (besides throw rocks at it).

Re: I'm dying

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Of course you're dying, youre user name is "lawyer".

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 pm

As someone who was once in your scoring range, I think I may know what your problems are.

1.) Anxiety under timed conditions

It's one thing to know how to do 95% of 1 star questions. It's another thing to keep your head in the game when the clock is running. How do you time yourself? Do you run a stopwatch? Do you have to monitor that watch to make sure you don't go over time? For me, knowing how much time I had left was always distracting. Even if I was making great time, the moment I knew how much time I had left, I started to think about how I was going to ration the rest of the section instead of focusing on the question immediately before me. The only cure for our type is to NOT LOOK AT THE CLOCK EVER and to do our best to finish or be damn-near finished when five minutes are called. This program might come in handy:

http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/ls ... satproctor

2.) Test Intimidation

Never let this test frighten you. When you see a logical reasoning question that takes up half a page or a reading comprehension passage that seems really hard to follow, stay positive. The last thing you want on your mind half-way through reading a stimulus or an RC passage is 'Oh shit. This one is too hard. I'm going to bomb this passage/miss this LR question.' Remember that the question often seems harder than it really is, and the biggest obstacle to finding the solution is your state of mind.

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:02 pm

If you're finishing the whole section then maybe try to slow down. Its better to get two or three "4 star" questions right 100% of the time by slowing down then half of them if you're attempting all of them. I am unsure of how many you classify in such a way, but I hope my point of slowing down helps.

Postby EarlCat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:03 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:If you're finishing the whole section then maybe try to slow down. Its better to get two or three "4 star" questions right 100% of the time by slowing down then half of them if you're attempting all of them. I am unsure of how many you classify in such a way, but I hope my point of slowing down helps.

^This. If you're only scoring 150 you have no business finishing every section of the test. Slow the F down.
If you need help setting a timing goal, check out my pacing calculator.

Also, when you're reviewing, you need to be able to articulate why each wrong answer is wrong, and why each right one is right. Don't just have an idea. Write down a sentence that says "This is wrong because..." You should eventually notice that that the same reasons show up again and again.

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:57 pm

if you are scoring in the 150s you are missing a lot of questions on multiple sections. Since you said there is always 1 game that kills you, i would consider finding out and why that game is killing you, and make sure to do that type of game last in the section. For LR, categorize each question you got wrong, where it is in the section and you should see some sort of pattern. take these into consideration and begin to formulate a new attack plan for LR, and follow through on it. With RC, combine both approaches. For me, in order to score well i have to force myself to write the line down for each answer choice. It takes time, and at first I could only do 2 passages, but eventually I got up to 3, missing 1 question on each section at most. While I know I wont be able to finish the entire section right now, I am at least improving.

Make sure that you are mentally prepared for the exam, and for prep tests. If you are feeling mentally off ( LSAT mentality- that is) and postpone a prep test, make sure to spend that time doing something LSAT related. If you arent totally prepared for the thing, change the test to december, and treat the prep like a full time job ( block off the same 2-3 hours a night 6 days a week at least for study). A little sacrifice now pays off in spades later.

Postby Pip » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Most people can understand a question and get it right once they know their first answer was wrong and go back for a second look... so don't think that just because you were able to get it the second time, that you understand that type of question.

You mention you are getting 150s on a consistent basis when you do timed test and that you sometimes go over time. Well the simple answer is probably not what you want to hear, but here it is. You are a 150s person. No crime in that. Nothing wrong with that. By the fact that you've done all the possible prep work that anyone could imagine, I'm not sure what you hope to achieve now. You can go on bashing your brains against a wall hoping to get up to the 170s but I doubt that is going to happen.

Consider this, life isn't over just because you don't score in the 170s. Will this fact keep you out of HYS? Mostly likely it will, but life will go on and if you decide you want to be a lawyer you can probably still get into a law school... So stop being a drama queen, you aren't dying you've just come face to face with your own limitation. You can accept that and move on or worry about it and fret over it... but in the end it is what it is.

Postby arklogic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:01 pm

If you're looking to score in the 160's you should consider rescheduling for the December test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”