Private Tutor

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dtubin

New

Private Tutor

Postby dtubin » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Just a question to those that have actually done it, was it worth it? I have seen that people that had done it scored much better. What do you guys think? Thanks.

EarlCat

Silver

Re: Private Tutor

Postby EarlCat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Depends how good the tutor is.

tomwatts

Gold

Postby tomwatts » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Depends on you, and it depends on the tutor. If you want to do a lot of studying on you own and bring issues to the tutor, then it's a good way to go. If you want someone else to study for you, then it's not likely to work (and you probably shouldn't go to law school).

I regularly have students who improve 10-20 points with tutoring, so it definitely can be effective.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Ask for previous LSAT scores. As I said in another thread: somebody with a 150 should not be tutoring.

dtubin

New

Postby dtubin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks guys. I should of made it more clear. I was thinking what is the tutoring like for powerscore even though it costs a pretty penny? Seems like everyone I know has had a 10-20 point increase from doing this. I know it costs a lot but the investment of that for a higher LSAT score might be beneficial towards the long run, imo.

justadude55

Silver

Postby justadude55 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:25 am

dtubin wrote:Thanks guys. I should of made it more clear. I was thinking what is the tutoring like for powerscore even though it costs a pretty penny? Seems like everyone I know has had a 10-20 point increase from doing this. I know it costs a lot but the investment of that for a higher LSAT score might be beneficial towards the long run, imo.

can't speak for powerscore, but a lot of these companies charge a lot of $, and don't pay the tutor very much (maybe 15-20% of what you're paying the company). if you can get a tutor on your own, that might be a superior way to go. just using craigslist, but making sure to see proof of score could be a way of getting an equally strong tutor for much less money.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 pm

justadude55 wrote:
can't speak for powerscore, but a lot of these companies charge a lot of $, and don't pay the tutor very much (maybe 15-20% of what you're paying the company). if you can get a tutor on your own, that might be a superior way to go. just using craigslist, but making sure to see proof of score could be a way of getting an equally strong tutor for much less money.

The one thing with finding a tutor off craigslist is that they are often very unorganized and don't really have materials to give you. They typically have know how to get a good score, but may have no idea to explain how to get a certain question right.

Occasionally you'll find a gem, but I can't tell you how many tutoring students I've had that came to TPR after trying a tutor they found online through an ad, who often times had great scores, but either was disorganized, undependable or wasn't good at teaching.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�