PT 13, Game 2 Rule Translation Help

ND'10

PT 13, Game 2 Rule Translation Help

Postby ND'10 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:56 am

So this should seem like a simple question, but I ran into a logic game that really gave me trouble this morning. Maybe my brain isn't awake yet but I've been staring at this game for an hour.

The last rule states "Kate is scheduled for the next day after the day for which Victor is scheduled."

I translated this as "V_K" - meaning there is one day in between the two. Since we are ordering 5 people in 5 days, M, T, W, Th, and F, I put Not Laws on Th and F for Victor because that would put Kate on Saturday and Sunday respectively. However, first question asks for what day Victor can't be scheduled, and Th and F are both options (the answer is Friday).

Can someone please explain how Victor can be placed on Thursday (because to me it looks like Kate would be on a day not possible) or if I'm just misunderstanding the game?

I think I'm misinterpreting the rule because in Q# 11 it gives the local conditional that Iris is on Wednesday so I thought the only place for the V_K block was Tu/Th and that filled out my diagram to be HVIKN as the only option, which doesn't lead to a correct answer. So confused...

ND'10

Re: PT 13, Game 2 Rule Translation Help

Postby ND'10 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 am

Oh God I feel embarrassed.

Put it away for 10-15 minutes and realized its a VK block and not a V_K block... I hate rules worded like that. Ugh.

That's the one thing I worry about on the test- getting a logic game rule that I just get a mental block on, when I realize later how simple it is

gdane

Re: PT 13, Game 2 Rule Translation Help

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Dont worry about it. From what Ive read a lot of people make this mistake. Just keep going at it with logic games. Eventually you'll reach a point where you'll be able to spot these little intricacies and you wont make careless mistakes. My advice is to always keep in mind whether a position is loose or defined. Some games make you think that one person/thing can only be in one position, but after a read of the rules you realize that thats not the case.

I had this issue a few days ago. I was doing some game about six classes where one of the rules was that kate had to be the first girl, but not the first student, and that an I and L block constituted one class. I made the mistake of thinking that the I and L block had to be one of the first 3 classes, but after reading the rules closely I realized that in no way shape or form was this the case. Point is, just keep an eye out and understand when things are rigid and when they arent.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”