LSAT during tailgate

jfb

LSAT during tailgate

Postby jfb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I was scheduled to take the October test on campus at the University of Michigan, which turns out to be the same day as the Michigan - Michigan State game, at Michigan. I have been at U of M for that game and it is certainly not an environment in which I would feel comfortable trying to take the LSAT, even at 9am. The time of the game is still TBD but as a precaution, I switched to a different testing center.

This seems like a legit concern to me. Is it?? Does anyone else have concerns about talking the LSAT on a Saturday in the middle of a tailgate crazed college campus? How do you plan/deal with the potential for people yelling, fog horns, whatever else outside the testing center?

bk1

Re: LSAT during tailgate

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

It is. Best solution is what you did, take it somewhere else.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm

jfb wrote:I was scheduled to take the October test on campus at the University of Michigan, which turns out to be the same day as the Michigan - Michigan State game, at Michigan. I have been at U of M for that game and it is certainly not an environment in which I would feel comfortable trying to take the LSAT, even at 9am. The time of the game is still TBD but as a precaution, I switched to a different testing center.

This seems like a legit concern to me. Is it?? Does anyone else have concerns about talking the LSAT on a Saturday in the middle of a tailgate crazed college campus? How do you plan/deal with the potential for people yelling, fog horns, whatever else outside the testing center?

I'm taking the LSAT on my campus on the day we are having a large concert in the afternoon. And I am worried about this as well.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm taking the LSAT on my campus on the day we are having a large concert in the afternoon. And I am worried about this as well.

Too late to switch location?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I'm taking the LSAT on my campus on the day we are having a large concert in the afternoon. And I am worried about this as well.

Too late to switch location?

I'm torn about it, because this location is on my campus and i'll be in a room i'm familiar with so that is a plus. I'll also see my friends. And I guess I don't know how bad it will be outside in the morning anyways. I know the community college around here has actual tables instead of desks so thats a plus too. Just wasn't sure what to do.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm torn about it, because this location is on my campus and i'll be in a room i'm familiar with so that is a plus. I'll also see my friends. And I guess I don't know how bad it will be outside in the morning anyways. I know the community college around here has actual tables instead of desks so thats a plus too. Just wasn't sure what to do.

I would think noise from outside, even muffled by walls, would be worse than an unfamiliar place, but that's just me (I took both my tests at unfamiliar places).

brosef stalin

Postby brosef stalin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Take it at Concordia. You'll be in a room with (at most) 15 other people in a quiet location.

Edit: That is, assuming it's still offered at Concordia.
Last edited by brosef stalin on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:56 pm

HAHAHAHAHA!!! WOW!!!!

Thank you so much for bringing something this big to my attention. Im taking it at the University of Miami. Oct 9th is their game against Florida State. They dont play on their campus, so there probably wont be any major distractions during the LSAT, but WOW! Now this is going to be a concern for me. You dillhole!!!

In all seriousness, I think I'll be ok since people dont tailgate on campus and most of the partying (probably no partying since FSU will win) is going to be done after the game.

You did the right thing.

Good luck!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:32 pm

I just wrote a whole spiel about how I'm worried about construction noises but then realized I'm taking it in a newer building farther away from the construction that isn't going to be worked on because it's already fine (seismically) so that's a relief.

OV105

Postby OV105 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Sadly, I can offer you a real-life example on this subject…

I took my first crack at the LSAT on 9/26 last year on the main campus of the University of Houston. My main concern at the time I signed up was proximity to home and I only realized that it was the Saturday of the UH-Texas Tech game about three weeks out. As luck would have it (and who would have expected it) Houston had knocked off Oklahoma State two weeks earlier, both teams were undefeated, and the campus was already loading up with tailgaters that morning for the eveinng kickoff. All (and I do mean all) campus parking was either alumni or more expensive than what cash I had in my wallet and they only have one parking garage on campus (at least at that time).

I got to campus 40 minutes early, spent 20 of that looking for a place to park and getting bad advice from lot attendants about where to go. I followed that up by waiting for a spot in the garage, finally found someone leaving and parked, and proceeded to run the entire legnth of their campus south to north to the testing building. Actually, it looked like a frickin marathon since several of us had to do this. The kindly octogenarian in charge of check in directed me to my testing room; come to find out this was about 30 seconds prior to the test beginning. I sit down, bubble in the first three letters of my last name and… GO! Needless to say I was rattled (not to mention out of breath and drenched in sweat) which ultimately led to me cancelling my score. I complained to LSAC and asked that they refund my test fee and remove the cancellation from my testing record. They agreed to the former but not the latter.

There was zero coordination or communication between LSAC and the testing facilitators on campus as far as I could tell. I have also heard stories from other people about early kickoffs and crowd noise during the latter part of the exam. Long story short, do yourself a favor, check out the facility where you intend to take the exam prior to the actual test date to look for potential problems and avoid gameday at all costs! It's too important not to.

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:18 pm

It's an away game that day thankfully. The football stadium is right next to the test center and people tailgate in the parking lot of the test center. Thank god for away games.

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Fortunately my school has an away game that weekend as well. I can't even imagine trying to take it here on a game day (I go to an SEC school).

On another, somewhat related note, should I be concerned if my ticket still does not show the building my test will taken in? I realize it's still 7 weeks away, but I was just wondering.

jfb

Postby jfb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 pm

brosef stalin wrote:Take it at Concordia. You'll be in a room with (at most) 15 other people in a quiet location.

Edit: That is, assuming it's still offered at Concordia.

Concordia is available still, but I think its in Ann Arbor as well, I didn't want to risk dealing with gameday traffic so taking at u of m dearborn campus, well away from Ann Arbor

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm

OV105 wrote: My main concern at the time I signed up was proximity to home and I only realized that it was the Saturday of the UH-Texas Tech game about three weeks out.

Not to be "you should have known better" guy, but I actually scheduled to take that administration at TSU for that exact reason. Of course, I an a RABID Coogs fan and had that game circled on my calendar for months.

OV105

Postby OV105 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Not to be "you should have known better" guy, but I actually scheduled to take that administration at TSU for that exact reason. Of course, I an a RABID Coogs fan and had that game circled on my calendar for months.

Haha! Not at all offended by your assertion here Stringer. I also come from a rabid Texas football school, and there is no way in he** I would have scheduled to take the LSAT there on game day. I honestly didn't know a lot about the U of H campus before I took the exam so shame on me.

On a related note, Coach Sumlin is a awesome guy and a great football coach. We tried to get him as an Assistant Head Coach before he jumped on the Houston job. I like the Coogs quite a bit (father attended) so I hope you all are able to keep him there for a good long while and allow him to build something special at Robertson.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”