some input on RC

inthefuture

some input on RC

Postby inthefuture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 am

I need some advice with RC..As of now, I'm scoring about 90% on LG sections, 80% on LR, and 70% on RC..

any advice to help me improve my RC score? I am practicing a lot and still no improvement..
thanks

amkid100

Re: some input on RC

Postby amkid100 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 am

there's another thread on this further down but my recommendations are:

1) jot a summary phrase down next to each paragraph
2) refer back to the passage for EACH question. scope shifts are common in the answer choices and so just remembering the "gist" of the passage isn't good enough.
3) circle words that highlight the author's point of view. is he/she advocating a particular position? if so, there is frequently a question that tests this, ie. "the author is most likely to agree/disagree with which of the following?"; "which of the following terms describes the author's attitude towards the law school admissions process?" (Answer: too dependent on standardized testing).
4) for paired passages -- make sure you know the main conclusion of passage 1 before you move on to passage 2, that way you don't get them confused. before you attack the questions try to mentally note the major differences and similarities between the two passages.

if time is an issue i would cut down on the margin noting rather than not referring back to the passage each time.

inthefuture

Postby inthefuture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am

thank you!

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am

I think highlighting helps too.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:25 am

amkid100 wrote:4) for paired passages -- make sure you know the main conclusion of passage 1 before you move on to passage 2, that way you don't get them confused. before you attack the questions try to mentally note the major differences and similarities between the two passages.

For paired passages, read passage 1, answer any questions that deal only with passage one and eliminate answers to questions that seek things present in both passages. Then read passage 2.

PhillyFan09

Postby PhillyFan09 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:33 am

What has really helped me is looking at each RC passage as if it were an extended Logical Reasoning argument.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:37 am

For topics you are very familiar with and you feel comfortable with when reading, do very little highlighting. In unfamiliar dense passages, circle, bracket, and notate Views of authors, views of critics and so on. As you answer the questions, skip any question you have no idea what is it asking or where the answer is located in the passage to do easier ones and then return to those questions after you have completed the easier questions of the passage. Read supreme court opinions that interested you from http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”