Need some serious LR help

zephyr36

Need some serious LR help

Postby zephyr36 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey,

I've been doing the LR sections in the 2nd "10 lsat" book, and I've been getting anywhere from -6 to -8 per section This wasn't the case before. My first test I got -4 and -7, so I'm not exactly sure what's happening. A lot of the times I'll miss a key word but I've been averaging about -2 in RC, so it's hard to know how I'm reading the LR questions any differently.

LR is really killing me right now. I'm averaging about -2 in RC and about -3 in LG. The goal is a 170+ in October, so any advice is really appreciated.

I even have access to Kaplan's test explanations, so it's hardly as if I'm not able to understand why a certain question was right, etc.
Last edited by zephyr36 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Re: Need some serious LR help

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Do you have the LR Bible? Look at your recent tests and see what types of problems you are most commonly missing, and read the relevant chapter of the LR Bible.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 pm

I do have the bible and I've been trying to review the questions that give me trouble, but whenever it seems like I've nailed a question type down I start missing a bunch from another. For example, I struggled with parallel reasoning questions for a while, but I've gotten them all on the past few sections. Now I've been missing a ton of Must be true questions.

It just feels like I'm regressing despite all of my studying. I don't know how I went from average -5 or so per sections starting out to now getting -8 and -9

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:35 pm

I spent a couple hours going over the past section that I got -8 on and went through the LRB. Took another section and just scored -7. It's so frustrating that I can't even figure out what I'm doing wrong. Also, wrong answers are all over the place not just one or two types or anything like that.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 am

Are you talking about the light blue book? Because that's exactly what's happening to me too. I don't understand it. It's these little things that I want to kick myself for missing because it's so obvious. I mean, there're definitely questions that are just outside of my ability, but so many of them I could just as easily count as correct were it not for my carelessness. I was trying to hold onto some hope that these 20 LR sections are harder than the others or something, but I guess that's not the case. I haven't gotten to the PT40+ yet.

Side question: I've now moved onto the LR prep, LG prep being the first section I tackled. I was down to about 3-4 wrong per LG section about 1 month ago. I hadn't done a LG section since and I've recently been getting 2-3 wrong PER GAME. Did this happen with you too? Or is this just me?

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I did stop doing LG for a while and my scores sank. LG is definitely one of those things that you need to be working on constantly to stay sharp. I try to do at least a couple a games a day, but ideally I'll do a section a day. I'm not consistently at -2 on the 29-38 tests, which I've been told are actually harder than the more recent tests.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:37 am

LR bible is a fantastic help. Repeating them over and over, with the LR bible, has been the best strat for me. I have gone from -10 in each section to -2 to -4 currently. 12 tests to go..

jlee282

Postby jlee282 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:02 am

I know a lot of people swear by the LRB, and I agree mostly that it is really helpful and detailed. However, the tone of the language of LRB made it little hard for me to understand and contextualize. I suggest the AtlasPrep's LR text. It's much more "layman's term" than the LRB, so if you went through the LRB already but still feels like you're missing something, I'd give the AP a try. They mainly discuss the same things, but the AP provided, at least for me, a more general introductory level discussion to the materials than the LRB did. I use the two books simultaneously (use the AP to get a feel for general foundation, elaborate on the foundation via LRB), and it has been really helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”